April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (grendel, GeorgeGibbs505), 259 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,045
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#513219 05/07/18 07:33 AM
susjwp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know this has been posted before but I could not find it thru the search feature. Is there an ink or some other substance, lamp/smoke/jewelers "black" that I can use to rub into the engraving of an action to showcase engraving that has been "cleaned." I sent out a gun to have a new hinge and the smith cleaned the action of patina.

thanks,
John

Sidelock
Sidelock

I asked that question before. I believe india ink was cited, but from pictures I've seen of an action gooped up with it, it looks like a slurry that dries, and then is rubbed away and sealed at the end.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most hand engravers supply places sell a product to darken the background cuts.

They are usually a 2 part easy to use thing. #1 is a somewhat thickened colored liquid that you brush or otherwise cover the engraving with and let dry.
The second part is a solvent, usually tri-chlor or similar, that you carefully swipe over the dried part#1 surface on a swab or cloth patch leaving the color in the depths of the cuts.

N-Graver sells one (I see it's OOS now though)
Scroll down page for the listing. Go to their Price List for that.
http://www.ngraver.com/finishing.htm

RioGrande.com sells their own brand and sells it separately parts #1 and #2.,,and in Brown, Gold, ect.
https://www.riogrande.com/product/midas-background-antique-and-solvent-kit/335400

You can probably find others, they are all about the same thing.

They hold up pretty well in service. Solvents that approach the level of the Part#2 of the product will of course break them down and remove, but you don't hardly see that used on your fav SxS much in everyday wipedown.
Ultra sonic cleaners will remove them after a few go'rounds but they stay put pretty well for a while from that,, very nicely from everyday wear & use. That from jewelry experience.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good Quality India Ink has been used to enhance gun engraving from the earliest of times. India Ink is a simple mixture of shellac Alcohol Lamp Black or carbon black. just apply with a cloth when nearly dry remove excess with a clean cloth working small areas at a time. No need to apply a sealer the shellac base of the ink acts as the sealer. If the Ink dry's before you have removed all the excess a little Alcohol on a cloth will reconstitute the Ink making it easy to remove. One word of warning use protective gloves because the Ink does stain your hands.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

OR- you can blue it then polish it off the engraved areas( by hand of course-no wheels).
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

India ink was my go-to for a good while but these days I prefer a bit of renaissance wax with just a tad of lamp black for the color. Wipe it over the clean area and then buff lightly with a paper towel. Want it blacker, add another coat or two. Darkens the cuts and shading but not really noticeable on the metal flat surfaces. Easily removed and easily touched up and gives good protection to the metal.

Sam Welch
susjwp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

thanks all

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.