March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (LRF, bsteele, David Williamson, Ted Schefelbein), 826 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Remington40x
Buckstix:

That's one of the neatest DRs I've ever seen. I've been a Martini fan for years (mostly the small frames - Cadets and BSA .22s, but I own a Swinburn's Patent Martini that's off being restored) and I'd never seen the action used on a DR before.

Quite the clever concept.

I hope you'll take it out and use it to take a deer or an elk.

Rem

Hello Remington40x,

Thanks for the reply.

As it turns out, This year will be the first year we have elk hunting in Wisconsin. May 1st there will be a lottery for 5 tags. If my name gets drawn, I'll take this rifle.

I have this neat rifle up and running. Below is my latest shooting results. It only took about 45 rounds with testing 6 different loads to find its sweet spot. I might do a little more tweaking because the barrels are still crossing. But even so, with the way its grouping, I'm more than pleased. Groups slightly over an inch at 50 yards should result in about 4" groups at 150 yards. Its relatively flat shooting out that range. At 150 yards it still has over 800 ft/lbs of energy. That's plenty enough for anything here in Wisconsin. Also, the pressures with this load are mild. The fired cases drop easily back into the chambers. This allows for neck sizing only which will result in long case life.

And ...... Here's an update 4/28/18

I tried some Hornady 45 cal Flex-Tip bullets today. They weigh 325 grains, which is very close to the weight of one of the original bullets for the 11.6x65R. Back in the 1890's, the original bullet weighed 20.9 grams. ( = 323 grains )

And what a welcome surprise! Not only did they "un-cross" but they grouped better than any other load / bullet combination tested. Also, because these bullets have a "point" as opposed to a flat nose, these bullet have a higher ballistic coefficient. This, with the slight increase in weight, results in the ft/lbs energy increasing by about 150 ft/lbs over the entire 150 yard range.

I'm done! This will be my "best load" for this rifle from now on. It took only 92 shots to come to this final grouping.

I just had a friend email me to say I should have quit after the first 2 shots, or at least I should have taken a picture of that first pair. They were 1/2" apart. Well, OK, I did take a picture.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello All,

Here are a couple pictures of the locks on this double rifle. The reason I removed them, is that today while shooting I had the rifle "double" on me. When I fired the right barrel, BOTH barrels fired. This happened on the 4th pair. WOW ! !

Normally the recoil from shooting this 8-1/4 pound rifle with a 325g bullet traveling 1560 fps, is about 17.7 ft/lbs. That's not bad from an 8-1/4 pound rifle. However, when it "doubled", the recoil spiked to 71 ft/lbs. This is the first time this has happened in over 100 shots, but 71 ft/lbs of recoil really hurts from an 8-1/4 pound rifle.

This is why I removed the locks. I thoroughly cleaned and oiled them, and tightened a few loose screws. I'm hoping that this won't happen again.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Dewey Vicknair,

Thanks for the reply.

Now if only we could find the patent from Val. Greiss that shows a similar action, but with exposed hammers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buckstix:

GGCA purchased a CD of scans of the Schu & Waffe, plus other sundry publications & I would hazard a guess the patent for which you are searching is in there. Contact Friar Fred/Jon @ GGCA and see if you can have access to the CD.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello ellenbr,

Thanks for the reply.

I found this information on the GemanHuntingGuns.com web site in reference to maker "Miller & Val.Greiss".

http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/archives/miller-val-greiss-of-munich/

" ... Contrary to what has been written in other sources no Patents (DRP) could be found for either Johann Miller or Valentin Griess ..."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.