April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Nelsons Custom, Perry M. Kissam, Mike Harrell), 298 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,458
Posts544,974
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is amazing workmanship for sure.

For some reason, I really like that buttplate. A lot of work went into that for some reason.

That's a heck of a rifle.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Clint M Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Howdy PhysDoc,
Thank you for your sincere compliment, sir. I am very glad that a few have gotten something out of my small effort here.

I do a lot of gun photography related to my work, so I have a semi-permanent setup that I use. I have two vertical diffusor panels erected parallel to one another and about 1-1/2 feet apart to the right and left of the gun I am photographing. These panels are each about a foot high and 2-1/2 feet wide. They are each supported by a free standing PVC tubular framework. I have two electronic flashes set about 1-1/2 feet from the outside of each panel and about 2 feet off the floor. Each flash has a small diffusion panel attached to it's front and the flash units are angled down so that some of the light passes through the diffusion panel, and some passes over the closest panel and hits the inside of the further panel and bounces back in towards the gun. This happens from both sides and results in very complimentary lighting for gun photography.
I have experimented with all sorts of diffusion material and found that the white thin foam sheeting, used for packing material and often referred to as ChemSeal, works very well. Other things such as some types of shower curtains can also work well. If I knew how to post pics here, I would, but so far that ability alludes me completely.

Yes, I am in the KC area, in an exurb just to the SE. I have been an MVACA member for about 20 years and have a met a few of you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Clint, to see how to post photos directly to the list, just high "quick quote" button on the lower right hand corner of this post and you will see how it is done.

By the way, is that round circle in the cheekpiece a knot, or did some youngster with a Sharpie get after it?

_________

Clint M Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Howdy BrentD,
Yes, that butt plate is a humdinger alright! It was made in Germany, and I wish I knew where/how to get some more of them!
Thanks too for the help with picture posting. I see that you could do it! I get the idea, but I just must have left something small out when I tried it. I'll give it another try here soon.
Yes, that anomaly is a knot!

Last edited by Clint M; 05/02/18 06:59 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I posted another comment on the "M22 Gibson" thread.

Clint M Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hey BrentD, I am trying to post a photo showing where the other end of the knot comes out. It appears as a small circle right beneath the circular area you asked about, under the lower edge of the cheek piece in the concaved sculpted area. I hope this works. Thanks again!
ClintM

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perfect! You have the photo thing figured out. Thanks for the follow up.

_________

Clint M Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hey guys,
I do have a couple of other new images to show off! I just got back on Jun 13 from a second trip to Colorado to pick up the last of my dad's stuff that my brother had set aside for me. When I got to looking through my 'loot' yesterday, in it I found John Hutton's stock stamp. I am dead certain that it is the same stamp he used inside my Model 70 stock and the Hutton stock shown in Michael Petrov's second book.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could you have possibly also found the "Gibson" stamp? I apologize for stalling in posting pictures of the Gibson stamped M22 that I promised. All attempts to place Gibson at the Parker-Whelen shop have failed. All assistance would be appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful rifle & pictures. Love the conversion to short action.

I notice the Bbl and the action both carry a Winchester 'Postal' proof mark 'P in an Oval' indicating a separate part sold unfitted from the Service/Repair Dept if I understand it right,,and a factory finished firearm proof mark,,the standard WP in an oval.

I don't think I've ever seen that before nor can I think of why both would be there unless the customer purchased parts (bbl and rcv'r) went back to factory once assembled for some sort of work that then required a (re)proof.
Maybe that was the welding work some have said might have been done at the Winchester factory?

Just speculating of course, but the duel proofs on both the bbl and rcv'r caught my attention.

The bbl date on the bottom of the bbl is year the bbl itself was made, (19)42.

Very interesting post and back story.
Thank You!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.