Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Clint M Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Howdy folks, I do a lot of reading here but don't often have much to contribute. I read a post here a short while back that mentioned a stock maker by the name of Hutton, and a book I had never heard of was also referenced, Custom Gunsmiths of the 20th Century by Michael Petrov. I looked up its price and availability, and while looking through a list of that book's Vol. 2 contents from one vendor I noticed the name, John L. Hutton. I have since bought Vol. 2 of the book, and a second printing of Vol. 1, and also searched this forum for more info on him. I since have learned here that Michael Petrov had passed away, and that he had authored another book, Vol. 1 of the same name and I also searched and found several other references to John L. Hutton in this forum.

I am curious if any of you, namely gasgunner, eightbore, Newton1131, WindRiver, SDH-MT, or SKB knows of anyone that may have obtained Michael's notes and is maybe continuing on with a Vol.3 of his work? Michael's Vol. 2 indicates that nothing was known about John. L. Hutton after about the mid 1940s. Well, that same John L. Hutton, and his wife Catherine, were my next door neighbors in Boulder, CO when I was growing up as a kid. I have a shortened Winchester Model 70 .220 Swift barreled action that he stocked sometime after 1942 that I can provide pics of and can fill-in at least a few more details about him that I know first hand. So, if anyone is carrying the torch with Michael's notes, so to speak, I'd be pleased to be in contact with them. Thank you!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Clint,
Thanks for posting. Hutton did some wonderful work during his career. I was unaware that he had migrated west after his time at National Target.

While I know of no one that is following up Michael's work, I think a book on the post-war makers is much needed. Although the number of artists doing quality work in the last 70 years is so large it would be a daunting task. This forum is about the best depository of information that we have. I think I can probably speak for everyone here in saying that we would love to see pictures of your rifle and hear any information that you would be kind enough to share.

Regards,
John

Clint M Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi John,
I'd be happy to post pics and what little more I know about John Hutton. Give me a bit to figure out how to do this and I'll get back with you all. Thanks for the encouragement!
Clint

Sidelock
Sidelock

What years were you "growing up as a kid" when Hutton was your neighbor?

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, I'll try a different question. Was John Hutton the gunsmith who retired to a home up on the mountain behind Shenandoah Guns in Berryville, Virginia? Shop owner Ben Toxvard never referred to him by name, but did tell me that he was the previous owner of the Parker try gun that Ben used in his shop. I deduced that the man on the mountain was previously employed as a gunsmith at Parker-Whelen in Washington, D.C. I have always thought that the man on the mountain was John Hutton. Michael and I had discussed this a bit before he died but never reached a conclusion.

Clint M Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Sorry to seem evasive here gents, but I don't always have all the free time I'd like to hang out here with you all. I am self employed and have a full plate and also a pretty busy personal schedule, so my replies and posts may tend to dribble in as time permits. That is just the way it is!

OK, for the short answer, I was born in 1949. The Hutton's moved into a house next door in 1958. John passed away in the spring of 1965. eightbore, I am not saying that John couldn't have been the gunsmith you are referring to, but I strongly doubt that John Hutton retired to Berryville, Virginia after working for Parker-Whelen because he wasn't really old enough to retire in the middle 1940's, and he had been employed by the National Bureau of Standards in Washington up to at least 1954 when he transferred to a newly built NBS facility which opened in Boulder, CO in 1954 (home of the famous ATOMIC CLOCK, which all world time is set by). I have more info and lots of photos of this gun on my FLICKR picture hosting web site that I'll provide a link for you to see. I'll also try a post at least one stock photo here:
[img:left]https://www.flickr.com/photos/cgm-gunstockcheckering/26850262197/in/album-72157692997236912/[/img]

Clint M Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Howdy gents. In trying to post a pic according to the instructions on the FAQ page in my last reply of today, I could find no "File Manager" link on the "Full Reply" or "New Post" page. Going by the info up near the top of the FAQ page for adding a pic, all it seemed to do was post the link, but if you click on it , it will take you where you want to go.

Here is the rest of what info I have put together regarding John L. Hutton. The info is also on my FLICKR web site, along with over 150 photos of the stock, rifle and shortened Model 70 action this stock is fitted too, but is likely to be easier for you to read about here.

I'll post the link to the photos first: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgm-gunstockcheckering/sets/72157692997236912

Now the info:
John L. Hutton (4-2018)

I recently got this unusual, one-of-a-kind, Winchester Model 70 .220 Swift with a Hutton custom stock from my dad. He purchased it from John Huttons wife, Catherine, sometime soon after John had passed away early in 1965, so its been in my family for a while. The Huttons were our next door neighbors when I grew up as a kid in Boulder, CO. I was born in 1949 and my dad built our house at 811 Hawthorne Ave. and finished it in 1952. The Huttons house was built next door at 803 Hawthorne Ave. in 1958, and since my dad and I cant remember anyone else ever living there other than John and Catherine, so I will assume that they were our neighbors since that time. The National Bureau of Standards (now the National Institute of Standards and Technology aka NIST) opened a new facility in Boulder in 1954, and John was transferred to Boulder from the main NBS facility in the Washington, D.C. area where he had been working. He was the supervisor of the machine shop at NBS Boulder. So, when the Huttons actually moved to Boulder is unknown to me, but it was likely to have been sometime between 1954 and 1958. Catherine Hutton passed away in 1982.

My father remembers that John had told him that once he had previously been a furniture maker and that his specialty had been the making of Queen Ann legs for chairs. Whether that had been in Scotland or here in the U.S., or both, is unknown. John was a rather portly gentleman when I knew him growing up, and Catherine had told my brother and I that despite how he looked then, John evidently had been quite a good rugby player back in Scotland during his younger years. I can remember John often speaking of Col. Townsend Whelen in conversations he and my dad often had about various rifles. I had always been under the impression that John had apprenticed as a stock maker back in Scotland, but that may not be the case. I am fortunate to been given have Johns checkering cradle, some of his stock making tools, his wooden tool box (which he told me he made once he finished his stock making apprenticeship) and some of his gun books. Every year at Christmas, Catherine made our family a box of homemade Scottish shortbread the very best melt-in-your-mouth shortbread that you could imagine!!!! I can remember seeing John often sitting out on his backyard flagstone patio (that my brother and I re-grouted one summer) on most pleasant Colorado evenings in an Adirondack chair sipping an ice-cold high-ball.

What makes this rifle a little out of the ordinary is that the action has been shortened by . The front-to-rear trigger guard screw spacing is 6-3/4, rather than the normal 7-1/2 for a standard pre-64 Model 70. That means the bolt, the follower, the magazine box and the floor plate all had to be shortened or remade shorter as well, (see relative photos), which would have been no small task. I have had others familiar with welding look at this action, and the conclusion is that it was expertly done. My brother said he remembered hearing that this work was done by the Winchester Custom Shop, but that is news to me. I know of no way to verify who actually did this metal work or when it was done.

According to the actions serial number, 21312, which indicates a 1938 date of manufacture (according to WACA and BlueBook/Fjestad) or 1939 (according to G. Madis - 1of1000). From what I can gather on-line, the barrel stamp 42 indicates that the barrel was made in 1942, (see relative photos). This would indicate to me that the action work was done after 1938/9 and the barrel could not have been put on this action prior to 1942. The stock was made specifically to fit this short action, but not necessarily this barrel. If you look at the photos showing the Hutton stamp inside the stock behind the recoil lug, you can see where a block of wood has been expertly inset/inletted into the stock along both sides of and under the barrels chamber area. This would seem to indicate that at one time maybe a barrel with a larger chamber diameter was originally fitted to this action and stock, and that possibly this action originally sported another barrel of some sort.

This .220 Swift barrel is 25-5/16 long, 1.140 in diameter at the action face and 0.582 in diameter at the muzzle. It is 4-1/4 from the action face to the center of the barrel boss, which seems to match with another standard Model 70 stock I slipped these action components into for comparison, (see relative photos). I have attempted to document this rifle and stock with many photos, some of which may be redundant, taken over several sessions. During disassembly, I cleaned and oiled the metal works and I applied Kramers Antique Improver to clean and add moisture to the dry original stock finish.

The 8X Unertl scope pictured was purchased new by John in the early 1960s, for $90. He originally put it on a different rifle that I was purchasing from him (using an informal time payment plan) at that time for $90, (he gave me the rifle and sold me the scope). This was an 1898 Krag with an R.F. Sedgley barrel chambered in what was a pretty new round at the time it was made, the .219 Zipper. I was told that the stock had been made by one of Johns friends, a Col. Eddie Brown and sported 12 LPI checkering, for a good grasp! The barrel has a 1-16 twist, so accuracy is hit-or-miss with anything over 50 grain bullets.

As far as I can recall, my dad may have only taken this Hutton stocked .220 Swift rifle out and fired it on one occasion, when I was in my later teens. Now, I just look forward to when I can find the time to take it out and shoot it myself!

I'd welcome any comments or speculations about this rifle that any of you may wish to make. Thanks for reading through all this!
Clint

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well that is certainly a Hutton. Very nice and unusual rifle. Thank you for all the pictures and story. Some real work went into shortening that action, and that was before the days of TIG welding. Nice to have some information about Huttons later years.

Regards,
John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, this is one of the best threads that I've seen in a long time. Michael would have loved it. I am sure that he would have been on the phone with you. Those are great photographs as well. Do you have any tips for taking them?

I don't know if you live in the Kansas City area, but if you do, please come to the Missouri Valley gun show at the end of July, a number of the members of this forum attend and display there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful stock, and the inletting is as good as any I've seen!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.