March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Stanton Hillis, SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 891 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#511320 04/13/18 04:57 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I plan to scope my Miroku built model 1895 Winchester lever action in .270 Winch. and use it as a 'general purpose' hunting rifle. I decided on a side mount but can't decide which one to use: Williams or Weaver. My Ferlach trained gunsmith will do the instalation. So which one would you prefer to use for this application and why? Thanks for any input.
With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Neither one. An off center side mounted scope is an ugly & difficult to use set up.

If I wanted to scope a top ejecting lever action I would seriously consider some type of custom quarter rib that is attached to both the bbl & receiver ring and mounts a scout type long eye relief scope ahead of the receiver & on the centerline.

I saw a Winchester 71 .348 WCF set up this way & it looked & handled very well & it had the advantage of quick detachable scope mounts so you could easily go to the iron sights.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jani,
I would use the Williams, because of personal preference only, Weaver is also solid. I would not use Scout concept if early morning/late afternoon hunt is possible. Under these conditions, excluding "side light" is necessary for best results, and this is not possible with a "Scout Scope".
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I put a Williams side mount on a 1970's era Winchester model 94 about 20 years ago, I was able to get 1-2 inch groups at 100 yards.

I did it for a friend, as it ended up he didn't like it so we removed it. Still around here somewhere.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but to me, the best solution would be to sell it and buy a Marlin 1895. Or, alternatively, a Savage 99 if you must have pointy bullets.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brittany Man, I once taped a pistol scope to the barrel of a lever rifle to simulate a scout mount but did not like the small, distant picture at all. That's why I decided to go the side mount route.

Mike, I'm leaning towards Williams, too. And yes, much of my shooting is early morning, and late before night.

Recoil Rob, I never handled a side mounted scope so maybe I will not like it either, but I will never know if I don't try it...

BrentD, I do have a Marlin 1895, scoped. Unfortunately much of my hunting is small deer at long distance so .45-70 is not my idea of a 'general purpose' hunting rifle (but it's dandy for pigs). I feel .270 is my best choice for roe deer to chamois to wild boar. I also had a Savage 99 in .308 but did not like the hammerless action. Then I bought a Browning BLR .308 but the trigger is much too heavy even after gunsmith's intervention (and I get missfires from time to time). My .270 M'95 however has a very sweet trigger and is my favourite lever gun among many.

With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

A side mount doesn't mean an offset scope. There are side mount scope bases that still put the scope directly over the barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jani:

Im sure you know this, but mounting a scope over the action will interfere with ejection. If you mount the scope off to the side, you can lace a pad onto the butt stock that will allow a firm cheek weld. Something similar to the pads used on M-1 Garand rifles when they were scoped will work.

Ive done the side mounted scope arrangement on a Winchester Model 94 and it was difficult to shoot well without the cheek being able to firmly contact the stock.

Just a thought.

Rem

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm a left-handed shooter and it seems I have an advantage in this case. I tried aiming trough a couple of my scoped rifles (all centraly mounted), leaning my head to the left, as if the scope was side mounted to the left. The result was a firm weld (cheeck to stock), feeling much better than with a centrally mounted scope. I can only hope that the end result will be similar.

With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

What fun, left handed scope for a left handed shooter, what joy!

Seems backwards to me, but what do I know ??

Please report progress
Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 04/14/18 04:34 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.