May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Thruxton), 661 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,056
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Gunwolf Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

...and here is, how Westley Richards calls it:

https://www.theexplora.com/a-pair-of-westley-richards-20g-round-action-sidelock-game-guns/

But of course maybe it's wrong.

Cheers,
Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe they made more guns during WWII than we think. I have a 12g. box lock, field grade with 80% case that is 678xx. I date it during the war. Great shooting gun on Pheasant and very light.

So many guns, so little time!
Gunwolf Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl, I would say, it's very similar, but of course the engraving is a higher grade!

Cheers,
Gunwolf

Gunwolf Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I think this article may clear it:

"The No 2 round body, which is available in 12- and 20-bore (as tested here), was introduced much more recently. It is, essentially, the No 2 that so many know and love with the sharp edges removed. Round-bar guns were (and are) most famously produced by Boss. A rounded bar is a means of streamlining an otherwise conventional sidelock or boxlock and sometimes removing a little weight.
To dispel potential confusion, it is not a round-action gun (as built around a trigger-plate mechanism and bow mainsprings)."

Read more at http://www.thefield.co.uk/reviews/review/aya-no-2-round-body-shotgun-review#KCla4kokTlizX0Eh.99

It's a round-body...!

Cheers,
gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank You Gunwolf;
The Field article very well sums it up. There is a definite difference between a "True" round action & these "Round Body" designs which break the sharp corners. The H&H shown appears to have far more rounding than the Westley Richards, which has more than the AYA #2.

I still see "Square Corners" on the Dumoulin frame, so it would not seem to qualify as even a Round Body. One could just as easily call a Browning Superposed a SxS. If you held it sideways it would become one, but that would not take away the sharp corners from the Dumoulin.

Again I am not knocking the gun, I just do not see it as a "Round Action". My
much less expensive & less ornate J P Clabrough back action sidelock has a action body with a very similar shape, though the rounded portion ahead of the sculpting may be a bit longer than this one. I find the Clabrough quite pleasing in appearance & I shoot it extremely well. It is however NOT a Round Action. The Clabrough even though a back action does have a lock plate shaped more like a bar action with projections running up the bar of the frame. They just don't do anything, apparently Clabrough just thought they looked better that way. This however in no way changes the fact they are back action locks, not Bar Action. I just believe in applying proper nomenclature to things, whatever they may be, shotguns or anything else.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a beautiful gun. Perhaps some would rather call it a rounded edge or blended action style. I think they did a nice job easing the corners over to give it pleasing lines. Wish it were in my gun room.

Gunwolf Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

@lagopus: would be nice, to see a picture of yours..!? I just try to find out who may have made the engraving. Will let you know.

@2-piper: I understand your intention. I'm not so keen with the right nomenclatura, but indeed it's often difficult to find the right term in the diversity of gunmaking.

Cheers,
Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Nice piece.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice gun. The proper and correct term for that type of action sculpting is rounded bar. Doesnt matter what other manufacturers call it or designate that style, its a rounded bar action gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well as I said I have guns with sculpted frames which are rounded in the front of the bar & then have square corners in the back. This includes, but not necessarily limited to, Lefever, the above mentioned J P Clabrough, Baker, & even a lowly American Gun Co (Crescent) hammer gun. None of these have ever to my knowledge been referred to as Round Action or even Round Body. This is what I am seeing in the Dumoulin, the front of the bar is rounded, but behind the sculpting it certainly appears in the pics that the corners are square.

The front portion of the bar on most of these I have are more rounded than this one appears but I would still not refer to than as round action guns. I do have a VL&D Knock-About made by J P Sauer & Sons which is also a back action sidelock. This gun also has plates which resemble a bar action & it does have the lower frame, behind the sculpting with a small radius on the corner. I didn't measure but no more than " I would think. This would not qualify it as a Round Action, not certain even a round body, but it does serve to "Break" the sharp corners.

"IF" this gun indeed has radiused corners then please just say so & I will Shut my Mouth & Apologize. As is however In looking at the pictures it still appears that the lower action body has sharp square corners in the area below the bar portion of the lock plates all the way back to the wood.

"IF" the rounded portion of the bar ahead of the sculpting makes it a Round Action then I will just have to say that the vast majority of the doubles I own are all Round Action in spite of my saying I did not own a round action gun.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.