Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
rwmckee Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

assuming equivalent models - i.e. ignoring engraving, wood quality, and such - and just considering build quality, fit, finish, metallurgy, inletting, and mechanical qualities of that nature, where does ugartechea fit in against say aya and garbi for example? typically the equal, better, or lesser?

roger

Sidelock
Sidelock

buy the gun, not the name.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Typically the lesser. However, the price is also a lot less. Ugartecheas are the best value for an entry level SxS, IMO. I have two, a Grade II 28 and a Falcon .410. They are better than the cheapest Spanish guns(Zabala, POS, Sarasqueta, to name a few) and way above Huglus and Baikals, again, IMO. JL

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Jim, they are typically lesser quality then the others you mentioned, but they also have a lesser price tag. I think they are the best bang for the buck for a good solid no frills gun you don't have to worry about. I've got a 12, 20, and.410 boxlock by Ugartechea. Like I said, good solid gun. But they do not compare to my Arrieta or AyA.

Hey Jim, how is that .410 doing? I assume it's the one I sold you...

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's just fine. I did a little POI correcting, on the left barrel and treated the firing pins to Kasenit. Most recent treasure is the 28. It's getting most of the action lately.
Thanks,
JL

> Jim Legg <

rwmckee Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

thanks; that was pretty much my impression just looking over one. things like heat treat you can't see but as noted - for the cost - i couldn't see much to complain about. looked like perhaps a tad "rougher around the edges" than the other's i'd mentioned but for the money, so what. i was mostly wondering if they chronically had sear noses round off, ribs separate, that sort of thing but doesn't sound like anything there to worry about.

roger

I have two Ugies. One of them jammed up at the beginning of the third season out. Gun smith opened it up and found a left over metal chip from machining that had taken that long to find its way into the gears. Once removed, all was well. So far I've had nothing go wrong with the gun itself on either of them. I'll agree, good bang for the buck

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe there is plenty of overlap in most of the makers you mention. The one Uggie I had was an entry level M30 (I believe) that was well made but of utilitarian grade. I've handled the sidelock models of Uggies that seemed to be lessor in wood quality and adornment than my AYA #2 but near the metal work fit. I believe the Uggie's that are currently imported are decently made and reliable. AYA's seem to start their entry level guns near the same as the Uggies and go higher in quality and adornment in their higher grade guns. Garbi and Arrietta seem to start with their models (that I've seen that are imported here) at quite a bit higher than the Uggies and AYA's and go to higher grades/quality at their top models.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Ugly, I mean Uggie. It did pattern a little tight for canned quail hunts (I mean shoots)though (oops, sore subject).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ugartechea matches up quite well when compared model to model with AYA.

Ugartechea and AYA are the only Basque companies to offer both boxlock and sidelock actioned doubles.

Garbi only makes sidelock guns.

The same can be said for Grulla and Arrizabalaga.

To compare an Ugartechea to a Garbi you have to find similar priced sidelocks from both companies.

I also believe that the Garbi is probably the better of the two.

Ugartechea makes a decent to very high quality double gun. It all depends on how much you wish to spend.

I think that if Ugartechea had never produced their line of boxlock doubles, then their sidelocks would be held in higher esteem.

There also would be alot less satisfied shooters (like myself) who really like their Ugartechea boxlocks.

Just my 2 cents

Bryan

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.