April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (ClapperZapper, Hal M Hare, Jimmy W, 3 invisible), 215 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,461
Posts545,005
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Are those Recknagel mounts?

Sidelock
Sidelock

My early catalog copy states that these Hollenbeck drillings were made in Grades 1-5; and since I couldn't find a grade stamp on the frame of this subject gun, it must have been un-graded as it seems to possess features from both Grades 2 and 3. The Grade 2 gun was described in the catalog as follows:

"Fine Damascus barrels, fine English stock, magazine in stock and cleaning rod, full pistol grip or straight stock, finely checkered and engraved gold name plate in stock, choice of fluid steel barrel in 12-16 and 20 gauge shot, 22-25, or 30 caliber rifle. Price $150.00"

The Grade 3 gun description was as follows:
"Fine Damascus or Steel barrels, fine Caucasian stock, fine design in checkering, picture work engraving, inlaid work in gold on barrels and gold name plate in stock, magazine in stock and cleaning rod, skeleton butt plate, pistol grip or straight stock, all lock work hardened and polished and all of the very best possible workmanship. Price $200.00"

The subject gun does not appear to have a stock made for a magazine and cleaning rod; but does have the full pistol grip stock, which for Hollenbeck is the "S" shaped grip knob. It also does not appear to have the gold name plate noted in the Grade 2 and Grade 3 description (neither of which are mentioned as Grade 1 features). "Picture work" engraving, or animal scenes, is also a feature not noted as being available on Grade 1 and 2 guns.

When compared to the Grade 3 description, the subject gun obviously lacks a skeleton butt plate and also appears to lack a "stock made for a magazine and cleaning rod" (Hollenbeck #7 mentioned yesterday does feature a magazine and cleaning rod in the stock, as well as a skeleton butt plate). The subject gun also appears to lack a gold name shield, but does appear to have "inlaid work on barrels in gold" which is a very narrow gold rib-joint inlay very similar to those found on higher grade LC Smiths. The subject gun stock is nicely checkered, but is below what I would describe as a "fine design in checkering"; that opinion based on other mid-range examples seen with checkered cheek panels and decorative flourishes in the comb area. This gun most certainly feature "picture work engraving", and the dog scene on this gun is more or less the same dog scene found on other mid-grade Hollenbeck drillings and C Grade double guns. The only way to know if this gun features polished lock-work would be to remove the trigger plate; but if it does and it is similar to the lock-work on my Hollenbeck double gun, it will be beautifully done.
My Hollenbeck double has not been abused but saw decades of steady use. When I removed the trigger plate I found the typical 100 plus years of crude and grime; but what caught my attention was that the lock-work inside that gun still gleamed like a mirror, with no rust or crude on any surfaces of those parts. But as is evident, these guns were not inexpensive when introduced in 1901; with the least expensive model starting at $125. Obviously guns of this quality resulted in a very limited customer base, and corresponding low sales volume; so there is little wonder why Hollenbeck's gun did not survive. Thanks for sharing your photos.

ginge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to Marks 21! In havent learned how to post pictures yet.
Of course, this is before silvering of the action and refurbishing of the barrels for Damascus pattern, my ancestors had blued the Hollenbeck twice, which Im sure protected it, but now Im ready for it to look like you did originally, only with such poor vision, Im going to update it with a removable scope, as you can see, the picture shows the position of the scope, but the gunsmith has not installed the pivot mount.
With respect to Der Amis question, since, it was a repair of a gun, import export is totally different, but I did take the gun to the Customs office here in Mobile and have a document that certified its presence here in the US,so that when it returns it proves it was just sent for repair, I will be responsible for duty on the repairs and improvements.
Customs in Germany was unbelievably easy because UPS Germany was so organized and did such a great job with my gunsmith Tobi Nisse, he had all the necessary documents and licenses, they worked with him and no problem, once the paperwork went through,they delivered it to the store,The biggest issue was they could not believe the serial number was really 35 but as you can see with the pictures it certainly is
I believe they have given us three months to complete the restoration and repair and then return it without any tax or Customs problem, I do not yet know the cost of airfreight back to Mobile but wouldnt be surprised if it didnt get into the two to $300. Well worth it for this gun, passed down in my family since 1902, ready for another one hundred years of successful hunting!
I expect this to be a gun to continue as a safe and effective hunting weapon and would hope my descendants would be proud to use and preserve it!

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

ginge,
Thanks for the information about the procedures, it would be very helpful if you would describe the whole process, once the gun is returned; there may be others that would like to have work done.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cherry's has many more of these guns than are mentioned in this thread. You have to look under all known names to find them all. They have had them for years, so make your offers based on that.

ginge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Der Ami, I certainly will summarize the process once I have my Hollenbeck drilling returned from Germany and safely back in Alabama.
thank you

ginge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well I talked to Tobi Nisse,my German gunsmith and used gun dealer,who has my Hollenback drilling, he informed me he went inside the action and found the firing pins, and all springs and mechanisms in place and in excellent condition, Again he is amazed at how few moving parts there are and how simple it is, in fact he and his German combination gun senior consultant were certain it looks so clean and shiny it mustve been replaced 30 or 40 years ago, that is not true,the Hollenbeck drilling is just of such quality that thats the way it looks, after 116 years, which has been described by previous forum members, who looked inside the action and it was so shiny and new looking, like a time capsule!
Once the action is silvered (and he wondered if the thumb release and release for the forearm should be kept dark? Im thinking all silver,) and once the Damascus barrels are refurbished, and pivot scope mount has been fabricated for the Hollenbeck rib and barrels ( Which is different for German drillings) the gun will be sent here in time for his Tobis visit to the USA and turkey season, if it really makes it back, we will then be able to describe the whole process of sending it for repair, refurbishing, and insert placement and return!

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Ok... here are Ginge's pictures... I have been out for a while. A lot has happened with it.

Last edited by Marks_21; 03/20/18 12:17 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.