April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Mike Harrell, Sandlapper, dogon, 3 invisible), 169 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,712
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
With out a cabinet, it depends on the temp. and humidity for the time of the year, where you live. You just have to watch it and boil, when it is time. It may only take a couple hours in the summer, and all day in the summer.
Mike

Last summer I needed no help in the garage in N. Carolina. Come fall and winter, I had to use the cabinet. To keep it from getting to extreme in there, I've placed a heating pad from the pharmacy on the floor of the locker, with a 9"x9" non-stick cake pan on top of it. Not to fast, not too aggressive, but a good healthy rusting nonetheless.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You could also get a small crock pot at Goodwill.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuckster
I hear what you are saying about slow, but if I go over about three hours rusting time, I get fine etching on the surface.
Maybe my solution is too strong.
Chuck

If I use Laural Mt Forge bluing/browning formula, I dilute it by at least 1/2. I dilute almost everything when it comes to bluing

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mark II
You could also get a small crock pot at Goodwill.

Great idea! I like that plan better than what I'm using. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am lazier than that. I bought a plastic box that is used to store long rolls of Christmas wrapping paper, just a few bucks. It works great in the winter when our humidity is low here in Missouri. I definitely don't need it in the summer.
Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Plywood box, light bulb on a rheostat, two wet wrung out hand towels in the box.
Try for 90°F and 90% RH. Sort of like East Texas, but works in dry Colorado.
Chuck

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuckster
Plywood box, light bulb on a rheostat, two wet wrung out hand towels in the box.
Try for 90°F and 90% RH. Sort of like East Texas, but works in dry Colorado.
Chuck

Sounds like the box I made nearly 40 years ago as an experiment. I'm still using it. The full length door hinge is and old leather belt, complete with four buckle hole for venting.
Mine has a build in shelf with a small rubber water dish just under the light bulb. No steel anywhere to rust or scratch.
Tall enough inside to rust a 42" M/L barrel. I try for 80% and 80*. Wet paper towel scraps for extra humidity. Two hours rusting time.
We will be using it in July for my Metal Prep & Rust Bluing Seminar.

Nick. C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's interesting to see that others have issues with changes in the weather from season to season too.
I'm hoping to be able to plan my day around the rusting rather than hanging around waiting for boil time. I'm expecting some small variation in time but if a pair of barrels can go into the cabinet and I know it'll take X number of hours to get somewhere near, that'll mean I could go and do something else in the meantime without risking coming back to pitted metal. It's not a problem most of the time, but if I'm busy with other work or call outs to jobs it can get a bit tricky.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

All my rusting is scheduled by the clock and all other work in the shop revolves around rusting when I'm rust bluing.
Knowing the solution, damp box and preparation rusting cycle are very predictable and vary little in timing, mainly with the first cycle taking a bit longer.
Visual inspection and experience are the last word for each cycle.
Learning to professionally rust blue require quite a bit of experience that is what I teach, my decades of experience.

BTW I'd never use a crock pot, I just don't need that much humidity. Too much humidity is more dangerous and potentially damaging than not enough.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.