April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
james-l Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is a photo of the stock, probably the most difficult thing would be the buttplate as the spur is different than the usual one, also would be hard to find the correct Lyman 48 as it was the early type with the long slide. I saved all the auction photos and will post them if wanted, whoever made this stock was a pro and talented.

Last edited by james-l; 03/05/18 02:21 PM.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Boxlock
Boxlock

Somebody spent a lot of quality time building a great looking 2 piece stock for an 03. Too bad. Could have started with a blank with better grain flow through the wrist and it might still be a one piece stock today.

GUNMAKER
Sidelock
Sidelock

Whoda thunk it... I had no idea there was such a market for used and broken stocks???
It looks a bit like a simplified version of Adolph carving BUT I'M IN NO WAY IMPLYING THAT IT WAS CARVED BY FRED ADOLPH.
Whomever made the stock was a skilled craftsman, for sure. I'd be proud to say I did that work today!

Last edited by SDH-MT; 03/05/18 06:36 PM. Reason: edit
Sidelock
Sidelock

The little tear drops on the forend checkering should be a clue. Inletting looks like it could be Wundhammer, but that is just speculation. With any luck whoever has it will let us see it when they get it rebuilt.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see those "little tear drops" as scrolls without the incised line like on the grip scrolls. The comb nose fluting looks like much later G&H.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok, I will offer a guess as to who made it, August Pachmayr.
It is just a guess.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PhysDoc
Ok, I will offer a guess as to who made it, August Pachmayr.
It is just a guess.

There are a few details that made me think of him as well, but the stock styling just does not fit his. I'd like to see the inletting on the right side of the receiver ring.

Steve, I thought about calling the little teardrop things dingle berries shocked

I suspect the new owner is out there reading this thread and getting a kick out of it.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Considering the quality of the workmanship, the quality of the wood and its remaining condition this feels to me like a bargain at the price it sold for. It appears the action tang was contoured. Who else reshaped tangs when building rifles on the Springfields?

Not hard to remember Petrov's creation of a rifle starting only from the Wundhammer stock that he found. It too had a serious stock flaw that was repaired by a very gifted gunmaker. This rifle I believe sold at auction for something over $3,500 and was beautiful.

If I owned the stock my face would hurt from smiling so much.

Last edited by Dennis Daigger; 03/06/18 09:02 PM.

Dennis
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.