April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jem Finch, Stanton Hillis, Marks_21), 1,079 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,121
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello, a brand new forum member here. Happy to be aboard!
A close friend and training partner of mine lost his father two weeks ago at the age of 88. He was a local magistrate for over 30 years and was a lifelong firearms enthusiast. This past weekend, I helped my friend inventory his late father's firearms in anticipation of selling them for his mother. As a thank you for my help, my buddy gave me first dibs on the guns available and I bought this Springfield 1903 sporterized rifle. The action and barrel are in their original military configuration except for the addition of a barrel band and stud replacing the original military barrel band and the addition of a vintage Lyman 48 aperture sight. The original military stock has been replaced with a custom stock having very refined hand-checkering on the forend and pistol grip. It had a 60+-year-old recoil pad installed that was basically "petrified" and had become brittle and literally hard as a rock. I removed it and will be installing a new all black Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad on it in the near future.
This rifle was manufactured at the Springfield Armory in 1930 and its original SA barrel is dated 2-29. I'm happy to own it!
I posted about my rifle on another forum just yesterday and I was told by several forum members that it is very likely a DCM/NRA Sporter which, to be frank, I didn't know existed.
Evidence was given that my rifle (Serial # 1343992) is a DCM Sporter in that, although my rifle's serial number was reported not to be a "hit" in the SRS records, the rifle immediately preceding mine (1343991) is listed as a DCM Sporter: 1343991 SPT 071730 DCM RIFLE SALES 1922-42. It was further stated that my rifle serial number is one of a block of serial numbers that is a virtual sea of DCM Sporters. Further indications that it is a DCM Sporter is that the barrel has star gauge markings, the barrel shank bears no traces of ever having had a rear sight base installed on it, the top front edge of the receiver has been mildly radiused, it does have the correct Lyman 48C aperture sight with the hinged, fold up peep as used on DCM Sporters and, finally, though not serial numbered, it does have a polished NM-like bolt.
What I am looking for is some opinions on whether my rifle is or is not, in fact, a DCM Sporter.

Thank you very much for any assistance provided!

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
NRA LE Firearms Instructor
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know very little aout DCM sporters but I'd bet a lot of money that that is a custom stock. The fluers are fairly unique and may point to the stocker.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to hear of your friends fathers passing. He was obviously a man of very good taste in firearms. I would agree with others that the rifle started out life as an NRA sporter. SN in the right range, slightly heavier barrel contour, star gauge markings, slight rounding of the front of the receiver, and better polish and blue than an issue rifle would have all point towards NRA sporter. I wish I could help on the stock maker. The checkering pattern I have seen before, just not sure where. That is a very nice rifle, in unmolested condition. Very hard to find rifles from that era that have not been altered for a scope, refinished, or otherwise altered. You picked a fine one. I hope some others on this board can help us out with identifying the stock maker.

Thanks for posting,
John

Last edited by gasgunner; 02/27/18 11:25 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you very much, gentlemen. My friend's father was a great guy, a true gentleman, an honest and fair judge, and who treated me as a friend from the first day I met him. I'm happy and proud to possess a rifle that he once owned.

I agree that this rifle is an exceptional one. The photos don't do the checkering justice. It is truly impressive in person.

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice rifle, and great photos showing it!
Some closer photos of the stock conformation and checkering might help someone recognize the styling. Thanks for posting it, these guys love a mystery!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
Nice rifle, and great photos showing it!
Some closer photos of the stock conformation and checkering might help someone recognize the styling. Thanks for posting it, these guys love a mystery!

Thank you!

That is a great suggestion. I will post some better photos of the stock later today after my wife gets home from work. I'm watching the grandkids today (four-year-old grandson and ten-month-old granddaughter) and they don't avail me of that much free time! smile

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

An NRA Sporter of that serial number range should have the serial
number of the rifle engraved with electric pencil on the bolt. It
will be under the extractor when the bolt is out of the rifle. Rotate the bolt 90 degrees go to see if the sn is there.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If someone could possibly identify the origin of this stock/checkering style, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Stock Photos #1

Steve
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stock Photos #2

Steve
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stock Photos #3

Steve
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Herschel
An NRA Sporter of that serial number range should have the serial
number of the rifle engraved with electric pencil on the bolt. It
will be under the extractor when the bolt is out of the rifle. Rotate the bolt 90 degrees go to see if the sn is there.

Hello. I made a thorough search of the bolt, but no serial number is present. However, the bolt is definitely polished which, as I understand it, could indicate it is an NM bolt.

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

From my SRS data
1343991 SPT 071730 DCM RIFLE SALES 1922-42
1343994 SPT 052130 DCM RIFLE SALES 1922-42

Vishooters page shows the J5 bolt stamped on top was used until rifle 1295350 06/28. It also gives the following productation date info, as does Brophy in The Springfield 1903 Rifles:
1930 Jan 1 - 1338406
1931 Jan 1 - 1369761

There's nothing concrete about these dates, except perhaps the production number starts. A 2/29 barrel seems early to me, but I am no expert and anything is possible.

It is a beautiful rifle, one that anyone should be proud to own, and even more so with the sentiment attached to it. I can't help with the stock. Thanks for sharing it and welcome to the board.

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Thaine
From my SRS data
1343991 SPT 071730 DCM RIFLE SALES 1922-42
1343994 SPT 052130 DCM RIFLE SALES 1922-42

Vishooters page shows the J5 bolt stamped on top was used until rifle 1295350 06/28. It also gives the following productation date info, as does Brophy in The Springfield 1903 Rifles:
1930 Jan 1 - 1338406
1931 Jan 1 - 1369761

There's nothing concrete about these dates, except perhaps the production number starts. A 2/29 barrel seems early to me, but I am no expert and anything is possible.

It is a beautiful rifle, one that anyone should be proud to own, and even more so with the sentiment attached to it. I can't help with the stock. Thanks for sharing it and welcome to the board.

Thank you very much for the compliment, warm welcome, and information provided, Thaine. I appreciate it!

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a great rifle for sure, but even more, it's nice to have a quality, "who done it" rifle on the forum. I love watching you guys work. smile

Maybe it is just an optical illusion but that wrist looks impossibly thin from left to right.

The inletting looks a bit rougher than I would have guessed given the exterior what seems perfect.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
It's a great rifle for sure, but even more, it's nice to have a quality, "who done it" rifle on the forum. I love watching you guys work. smile

Maybe it is just an optical illusion but that wrist looks impossibly thin from left to right.

The inletting looks a bit rougher than I would have guessed given the exterior what seems perfect.

The wrist is on the thin side, but not alarmingly so. The inletting does look a bit rough, but I expect age and use have a lot to do with its appearance. The barreled action and trigger guard/magazine assembly fit into the stock tight as a drum.

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

Judging by the work at the rear tang, it appears somebody along the way attempted a 'modification' of the trigger mortise for whatever reason. Nice rifle, happy hunting.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: prairie ghost
Judging by the work at the rear tang, it appears somebody along the way attempted a 'modification' of the trigger mortise for whatever reason. Nice rifle, happy hunting.

Thanks, prairie ghost! I have a question. Do you think those two small cracks on either side of the rear tang are a reason for concern?

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would watch the cracks as you shoot the rifle. Do they move when you twist the stock in your hands? Lovely 03 which should not be mounted with a scope.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
I would watch the cracks as you shoot the rifle. Do they move when you twist the stock in your hands? Lovely 03 which should not be mounted with a scope.

Thanks for the advice, eightbore.

I just checked the cracks for movement. There is no discernable movement from the shorter crack on the left. There is slight movement from the longer crack on the right. It doesn't get wider when I twist the stock to the right, but the crack does close when I twist the stock to the left. I wouldn't dream of mounting a scope on it!

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those cracks behind the tang should definitely be repaired and the wood behind the tang relieved prior to shooting. With the grain structure seen and the slender wrist the cracks are a real liability.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those cracks behind the tang should definitely be repaired and the wood behind the tang relieved prior to shooting. With the grain structure seen and the slender wrist the cracks are a real liability.

Only if he shoots it. Will you be shooting it? I hope so. It's a darn nice rifle.

_________

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ok, Steven. Thank you for the advice.

When I have the new recoil pad installed (the original one was in horrible shape and stone ugly), I'll have the cracks repaired and the area of wood behind the tang relieved.

Steve
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Only if he shoots it. Will you be shooting it? I hope so. It's a darn nice rifle.

Oh, yes! I won't own a firearm I can't shoot.

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

Trooper, Checkering and cheek piece look spot on for a Robert Milhoen 1903. There is an example of his work on Gunbroker in 1903 Springfield catagory. Maybe someone here can post the link.
Nice rifle!!!! Dan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This was easy Milhoen/Milhoan

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you, Dan and Thaine! Well, the work, particularly the checkering, does look similar. Thanks for the info and the link!

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't believe how quickly you fellows jump to conclusions in attributing a rifle to a maker from a few photos. The checkering and cheekpiece only look vaguely similar to each other. Yet many singular and definitive characteristics are very different between the two rifles. The shaping behind the grip, grip cap angle and quarter rib or lack of.

As for the checkering; bordered rather than borderless, very different petal shaping, straight back line of the forend vs rounded. How it follows and defines, or doesn't define the rear line of the grip.

The cheekpieces don't look anything alike to me: one with a shadow line the other with elaborate curves at both ends.

I see this all the time on this board and mainly disagree. Until you have a variety or examples of signed or period attributed work to define a particular maker's characteristics I don't think it is wise to jump at similarities.
The rifle in the GI ad and the rifle in the book do look alike, but not much like this one....
That is my opinion.

Last edited by SDH-MT; 02/28/18 04:51 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Opinions are like you know what. Everyone has one. In my own opinion Xtrooper's stock work looks a bit better than the Milhoan on GB. They both have nice checkering, but the cheekpiece on the Milhoan is ugly to me, and Xtrooper's is nice.

Last edited by Vall; 02/28/18 07:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven, don't shoot the messenger! LOL I just supplied the link since I had been following the rifle on GB. I agree with you similarities but nothing that really looks enough to be the same.

Vall's right in my humble opinion. The cheekpiece on the GB rifle would take some getting use to.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Thaine
Steven, don't shoot the messenger! LOL I just supplied the link since I had been following the rifle on GB. I agree with you similarities but nothing that really looks enough to be the same.

Vall's right in my humble opinion. The cheekpiece on the GB rifle would take some getting use to.

Hahaha No worries, amigo and, for what it's worth, I totally agree with your assessment.

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven, You are correct, the speculation on this forum does run rampant at times. Thanks for pointing out the issue, I will no longer speculate.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Vall
Opinions are like you know what. Everyone has one. In my own opinion Xtrooper's stock work looks a bit better than the Milhoan on GB. They both have nice checkering, but the cheekpiece on the Milhoan is ugly to me, and Xtrooper's is nice.

Thanks, Vall.

I have to agree, particularly regarding that unconventional cheekpiece. To each his own, but that thing definitely doesn't work for me.

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to agree that there are some substantial differences, though I though the "petals" (in the checkering?) look fairly unusual, but similar. The nose of the comb looks the most different to me however.

I wonder however, wouldn't most stockers have several styles of cheekpieces and grips and so forth to offer? Many quality factory rifles could be had with different options that may or or may not include things like shadow lines for instance, depending on customer preference.

Also, just for my education is that Milhoen wearing a rather large opening bid price tag? I would think it might sell for half of what he is asking to open. Maybe I'm just ignorant (thus the question).

_________

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Newton 1131
Steven, You are correct, the speculation on this forum does run rampant at times. Thanks for pointing out the issue, I will no longer speculate.

In any case, that is an interesting rifle you pointed out to me. I appreciate it because I would have never seen it nor known anything about Robert Milhoen who deserves recognition as one of America's great gunmakers of the past.

Steve
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have to agree that there are some substantial differences, though I though the "petals" (in the checkering?) look fairly unusual, but similar. The nose of the comb looks the most different to me however.

I wonder however, wouldn't most stockers have several styles of cheekpieces and grips and so forth to offer? Many quality factory rifles could be had with different options that may or or may not include things like shadow lines for instance, depending on customer preference.

Also, just for my education is that Milhoen wearing a rather large opening bid price tag? I would think it might sell for half of what he is asking to open. Maybe I'm just ignorant (thus the question).

I have absolutely no idea what the value of my rifle might be, but the price tag on the Milhoen rifle almost made me choke! laugh

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Xtrooper, That's that I thought about the Milhoen too. Yours is a much nicer rifle in my opinion.

I do wonder if they might have the same checkerer though.

_________

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Xtrooper, That's that I thought about the Milhoen too. Yours is a much nicer rifle in my opinion.

I do wonder if they might have the same checkerer though.

I really wish I could speak with my friend's recently departed father now and ask him about this rifle. I'm afraid its history is now irretrievably lost.

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would think that's indeed possible. But when I look at certain maker's examples it seems they didn't stray much from a certain pattern they are known for. My guess is that if you went to a stock maker known for a certain style and he gave you something different, you wouldn't be too happy back then. Even today people seek out gunsmiths known for a certain style, and wont be happy if they don't get it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is great to show similarities, new or previously under-exposed makers and any vintage gun that can be accurately attributed to a specific maker. I'm just not a fan of jumping to conclusion from an individual example.

The info on Milhoen from Sharps book is certainly relevant and enlightening.

Last edited by SDH-MT; 03/01/18 06:23 PM. Reason: edit
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven I agree with you 100%. I had to wait to post this. Ebay/312066975012
Here is a perfect example. I think this stock has enough similarities that this forum can put a maker to it. Dan:

Last edited by Newton 1131; 03/05/18 01:32 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck finding it. I can't.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Steven I agree with you 100%. I had to wait to post this. Ebay/312066975012
Here is a perfect example. I think this stock has enough similarities that this forum can put a maker to it. Dan:

Would you check that item number, please? A search of it doesn't generate a result. Thanks.

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just click on this and scroll down.
shy stock

Last edited by BrentD; 03/05/18 12:49 PM.

_________

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I got the new recoil pad installed that I bought to replace the stock's original one which time and usage had made completely unserviceable. I think it looks pretty good and should come in handy when I get to the range. It's a .80" thick Pachmayr Decelerator pad.

Steve
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just click on this and scroll down.
shy stock

Thanks, Brent. That's an impressive stock. Very high-grade walnut!

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely, no doubt. Who did the work? Unsigned.

If someone came in my shop and asked for carved checkering, I'd get out my Adolph photos and copy some in a very similar manner. I might simplify to meet a budget but I'd sign it....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I made my first proper examination of the bore today and am happy to report it is bright with strong rifling. According to my Fisher muzzle gauge, the muzzle diameter stands at .3010. Not bad for an 89-year-old rifle barrel!

Steve
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I discovered one other thing about this rifle when I took it to the range for the first time yesterday. Its trigger is definitely not in standard configuration. The average trigger pull weight is 3 lbs 3 ozs with no creep and a crisp break. In a word, this rifle's trigger is exceptional!

Steve
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.