Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello, a brand new forum member here. Happy to be aboard!
A close friend and training partner of mine lost his father two weeks ago at the age of 88. He was a local magistrate for over 30 years and was a lifelong firearms enthusiast. This past weekend, I helped my friend inventory his late father's firearms in anticipation of selling them for his mother. As a thank you for my help, my buddy gave me first dibs on the guns available and I bought this Springfield 1903 sporterized rifle. The action and barrel are in their original military configuration except for the addition of a barrel band and stud replacing the original military barrel band and the addition of a vintage Lyman 48 aperture sight. The original military stock has been replaced with a custom stock having very refined hand-checkering on the forend and pistol grip. It had a 60+-year-old recoil pad installed that was basically "petrified" and had become brittle and literally hard as a rock. I removed it and will be installing a new all black Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad on it in the near future.
This rifle was manufactured at the Springfield Armory in 1930 and its original SA barrel is dated 2-29. I'm happy to own it!
I posted about my rifle on another forum just yesterday and I was told by several forum members that it is very likely a DCM/NRA Sporter which, to be frank, I didn't know existed.
Evidence was given that my rifle (Serial # 1343992) is a DCM Sporter in that, although my rifle's serial number was reported not to be a "hit" in the SRS records, the rifle immediately preceding mine (1343991) is listed as a DCM Sporter: 1343991 SPT 071730 DCM RIFLE SALES 1922-42. It was further stated that my rifle serial number is one of a block of serial numbers that is a virtual sea of DCM Sporters. Further indications that it is a DCM Sporter is that the barrel has star gauge markings, the barrel shank bears no traces of ever having had a rear sight base installed on it, the top front edge of the receiver has been mildly radiused, it does have the correct Lyman 48C aperture sight with the hinged, fold up peep as used on DCM Sporters and, finally, though not serial numbered, it does have a polished NM-like bolt.
What I am looking for is some opinions on whether my rifle is or is not, in fact, a DCM Sporter.

Thank you very much for any assistance provided!

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
NRA LE Firearms Instructor
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know very little aout DCM sporters but I'd bet a lot of money that that is a custom stock. The fluers are fairly unique and may point to the stocker.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to hear of your friends fathers passing. He was obviously a man of very good taste in firearms. I would agree with others that the rifle started out life as an NRA sporter. SN in the right range, slightly heavier barrel contour, star gauge markings, slight rounding of the front of the receiver, and better polish and blue than an issue rifle would have all point towards NRA sporter. I wish I could help on the stock maker. The checkering pattern I have seen before, just not sure where. That is a very nice rifle, in unmolested condition. Very hard to find rifles from that era that have not been altered for a scope, refinished, or otherwise altered. You picked a fine one. I hope some others on this board can help us out with identifying the stock maker.

Thanks for posting,
John

Last edited by gasgunner; 02/27/18 11:25 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you very much, gentlemen. My friend's father was a great guy, a true gentleman, an honest and fair judge, and who treated me as a friend from the first day I met him. I'm happy and proud to possess a rifle that he once owned.

I agree that this rifle is an exceptional one. The photos don't do the checkering justice. It is truly impressive in person.

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice rifle, and great photos showing it!
Some closer photos of the stock conformation and checkering might help someone recognize the styling. Thanks for posting it, these guys love a mystery!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
Nice rifle, and great photos showing it!
Some closer photos of the stock conformation and checkering might help someone recognize the styling. Thanks for posting it, these guys love a mystery!

Thank you!

That is a great suggestion. I will post some better photos of the stock later today after my wife gets home from work. I'm watching the grandkids today (four-year-old grandson and ten-month-old granddaughter) and they don't avail me of that much free time! smile

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

An NRA Sporter of that serial number range should have the serial
number of the rifle engraved with electric pencil on the bolt. It
will be under the extractor when the bolt is out of the rifle. Rotate the bolt 90 degrees go to see if the sn is there.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If someone could possibly identify the origin of this stock/checkering style, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Stock Photos #1

Steve
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stock Photos #2

Steve
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stock Photos #3

Steve
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.