April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (HistoricBore, buckstix, Gunning Bird), 228 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,045
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ginge,
Do you have photos? What grade are we talking ? I love my 25-35 but it certainly added to my hand loading education to make that rifle work!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Colleagues,

This is an interesting discussion, and like many, it has had an earlier life (beginning 10 years ago!!): http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=30375&page=1

gingeit would be grand if your gunsmith could take photos of the locks et al.

I have a Hollenbeck 12x12x32-40 serial number 16. I would be delighted to share pictures is someone can post them.

Best regards,

Berrien

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Topgun, thank you for your comments on the early Hollenbeck and it is so interesting that you have number 28 in a side by side,they had to be like sisters together in their manufacture, and I never thought about Frank Hollenback himself handling number 35,but he mustve."

Ginge:
It seems that a fair number of the earliest Hollenbeck marked drillings have survived. One of our members owns gun #7 and it is a really cool and high conditioned piece with some features unique to any other Hollenbeck guns I've seen; most notably an elongated trigger guard that, unlike all the other drillings I've seen, has the rifle cocking lever inside the guard as opposed to being outside and in front of the trigger guard. This gun also features a magazine tube built into the butt for additional cartridges, and a skeleton butt plate. I know of the owner of drilling #10 and have seen #12 and #17 (very high condition gun). Guns #10, 12, and 17 feature lots of engraving with dogs on either side of the frame in the same fashion as my #28 double and double gun #50 that was sold at auction a few years ago. Another of our members here owns a high-conditioned/highly engraved drilling and a very rare Hollenbeck 16-bore ejector model side x side in high condition. Perhaps these gentlemen will share some photos as this thread moves forward? Some months ago there was for sale by a dealer in NC what I believe to be Hollenbeck's original prototype model drilling. It was a 16 gauge over 25/25 Stevens, and sadly was in poor condition with a broken stock and after-market rib repair that ruined its Damascus barrels. This gun was an un-numbered example and not graded, but featured a uniquely sculpted floor plate with the maker's name engraved thereon as follows: "Hollenbeck Arms Co. Wheeling, W.VA". This same identically engraved/sculpted floor plate is subsequently depicted on page 25 of the very early green covers Hollenbeck catalog; but the name engraved on the floor plate of the gun depicted had been changed to "Hollenbeck Gun Co. Wheeling, W. VA". So, in my opinion, this early gun was made and engraved not only prior to commencement of actual gun production; but prior to the formal naming of the Hollenbeck Gun Company itself. For the condition of the gun, the $1495 asking was way too much in my opinion. The gun was finally sold to a friend of mine in CA at a reduced price; who returned the gun after finding cracks in the barrel tubes and the barrels being deemed as un-repairable. The gun was then relisted and much later apparently sold, as it is no longer listed. This is an obviously extremely rare "one-off" Hollenbeck artifact and I hope whoever ends up with the piece understands its importance and salvages the gun.
Again, my interest is primarily in the harder to find Hollenbeck, Three Barrel, and Royal Gun Co marked side x sides, as they are represent one more connection to Frank Hollenbeck and his original "HOLLENBECK" double gun manufactured by the Syracuse Arms Co. I currently have an example of the Hollenbeck and Three Barrel marked double guns but am still looking for that example marked Royal Gun Co. My intent is to eventually feature those guns in a DGJ article simply for the enlightenment of collectors as these double guns are seldom seen. At the moment I've observed very little difference between the Hollenbeck and Three Barrel marked guns; but there are certainly some as yet undetermined differences between these two models and those marked Royal Gun Co; all very interesting to me, perhaps not so much to others. Best of luck with old #35. Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many, many years ago I stopped in at Dixie Gun Works. Turner Kirkland had 10 guns he would only sell as a lot. 9 were Hollenbeck drilling's, the 10th one was a single barrel target rifle. I do not at this late date recall the actual markings on the guns nor gauges & calibers. This would have been in the mid 1960's & the lot was $1,000.00. I was still an apprentice at the time with a wife & 3 young children & was simply no way I could buy them. I could probably have bought one, but he would not break up the set.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
ginge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I find this all very interesting and I am honored to have been welcomed so much by the other Hollenbeck owners, thank you
Im embarrassed to say I have the pictures and can easily email them to someone but I have been unable to figure out how to post the pictures on this forum,in spite of having the one of the young intelligent women in my office also get confused
my personal email is ginge10216@aol.com ,if someone reaches out to me ,Ill be glad to send them the pictures and they can post them for us
Best regards, George

ginge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike, just saw your question from the 18th,I live in Mobile, Alabama, now but I did live in Heidelberg Germany from 1981 to 1984, while I was on active duty in the US Army

Sidelock
Sidelock

ginge,
I was stationed in Wuerzburg 1971-74 and 76-82.. I'm guessing your gunsmith friend is in or around Heidelberg? Mine was in Muennerstadt, but if still living would be long retired( before I left, I helped in the renovation of a historic old house, he planned to retire in). How difficult is it to have work done by your friend, or for him to supply parts?
Mike

ginge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Actually it was very easy simply, shipped the gun UPS expedited, it was a little expensive at roughly $300, but a very excellent way to go,UPS did a great job and my gunsmith, Tobi Nisse had all the necessary paperwork to make it happen, from that point on he has orchestrated everything and is very excited about it .The key is having someone you can trust and communicate easily with, he plans to visit here in Mobile again March 27 through April 4,if things work out he will provide gunsmith work here periodically on his visits. His main interest is as a gun buyer and gun dealer and is the largest used gun buyer in central Germany.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ginge,
What experience did you have with "Customs?". How far from Mobile does he usually go when he visits? I think he will miss the Alabama Gun Collectors Gun Show in Hoover, if he comes that late.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Posting for George

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.