March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 876 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Does the trigger plate have it's unhooking slide and spring loaded plunger in place?

You'll have to drop the trigger plate out to see and check the slides operation. But it fits in a very narrow T slot in the plate w/the plunger and spring within the slide. One of the tiny headless screws secures it in place from the side edge of the trigger plate.

If that's not in place/missing,,or is stuck and jammed in position which can happen very easily, then the hook will not let go of the cocking arm.

Another thing is that on a parts gun, the hook may be just a little too big as far as the tip of the 'hook' is concerned. Not being able to release itself from the cocking arm even though the slide is pushing it back.

Just some thoughts..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also check the plunger in the frame, it should protrude from the knuckle at the front of the frame. Its purpose is to push the unhooking slide back when the forend is in place, some times it gets stuck in the depressed position.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It has the plunger and spring and it does push in and spring back like I think it should.

I have another hook that is original to the gun. I may compare it to the one that came with the barrels. Maybe try it.

Thanks,

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wrote a whole piece in the Parker Pages on unhooking. It can be a very involved issue.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I spent a little time today studying the hook and disconnect plunger.

I think I now understand how it should work. With the forend off, the disconnect rod is pushed forward and should push the hook forward to let it pass the cocking lever.

The disconnect rod protrudes more than an 1/8" and can be pushed back in with some force and it springs back out smoothly. When it springs out, I can see something sliding forward in the bottom plate under the cocking lever.

I got the second cocking hook and compared it to the one that came with the barrels and they look identical.

I took out the hook plunger and spring and cleaned and oiled them and the hole - even though they seem to be working fine. The spring seemed stronger than necessary. I cleaned and stoned the sides of the hook.

Am I right in my thinking that the spring force of the disconnect pushing on the bottom of the hook has to be greater than the force of the hook spring in the lump to push the hook back?

Maybe try it without the hook spring and plunger?

Brian, I found the title of your article in the Parker Papers but could not get to the article. Is it only in print?

Thanks again guys,

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ta-Daha!

I made a shorter and lighter hook plunger spring and the barrels will come off as intended.

Thanks.

I've got 25 brass hulls loaded with BlackMZ, fiber wads and 1oz of shot to try it out once there is a break in the weather.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I got the last 4 screws yesterday. I was able to fit and time 3 of the four with only a little work and patients.

The hammer screw lock screw on the left side bottomed out but was still proud about 10/1000. I was taking it out to see if there was something under the screw or if the head needed shortened when half the head broke away. CRAP! I put it up for the day. I know better then keep going when things go wrong.

Afrer "sleeping on it", I took a fresh look this morning. I had backed the screw out a good bit - enough I could get a small pair of vice grips on it and screw it out.

Wanting to get something that looked better than an empty hole, I took the smallest scope base screw in my assortment and turned the head down and cut back the underside to the right thickness. Then ground the threads off and reduced it to a diameter small enough to drop into the threaded hole. Basically, I made a "faux" screw. Obviously, it doesn't screw in but fits nicely and looks good - kind of like a glass eye looks better than an black hole.

Last edited by Bibbyman; 03/02/18 07:01 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your screws are 45 degrees out of time.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: B. Dudley

90 degrees, Brian....... a quarter turn.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: B. Dudley

Thanks!,

I looked a number of picture and found them in all o'clocks. I found the hinge pin in the wrong way and so on. So I had to decide what looked right.

The hinge pin screw in on the left side and horizontal - that's correct. Right?

The hammer pin screw is notched so it has to go vertical. Right?

The cocker lever pin screw plug that I have vertical should be horizontal. Right?

The hammer pin screw lock screw should be horizontal. Right?

I have several sets of gunsmith screwdrivers - including a set Grace for the Browning A5 that is thiner than most other drivers I have. But the Parker screw slots are even tighter than that. Are there some specific screwdrivers or bits that work well with these small screws?

Is there a trick to working on these small screws? To hold them, I tend to chuck them in my cordless drill chuck.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.