May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Skeeterbd, KDGJ, Jimmy W, Marks_21), 908 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,790
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
rtw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ok-so I already do yoga.

The question pertains to my search for a lightweight game gun(6lbs-6lbs 3oz is the target). Everyone I have found so far will need a checkered wood stock addition or a recoil pad of some type to get to my 15"LOP -with the desired drops at comb and heel.

That adds weight at the back end. And, if the gun was "balanced" before the addition, it may not be after the addition.

How do I get rid of the added weight and restore the guns balance?

I have heard of drilling a hole in the butt stock to remove weight. My 12 ga AYA has such a hole. Are there any other tips or suggestions that you all can offer besides placing a custom order for a new shotgun, which I could do for an AYA, or having a new stock made for the gun?

Thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ya' betcha

Sidelock
Sidelock

Microcell pads are a little hard to work with however I think they are the lightest pad made. I have installed one and they are featherlight for sure especially since you remove a lot of the foam while fitting it to the gun. See here:

http://www.hastingsdistribution.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=49

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

It can be kind of hard to tell if the balance is really right for you when the LOP is way off. I recently asked a gunsmith to replace an old pad with a buttplate that reduced LOP by almost an inch. The gun was there for inspection, so I hadn't handled it before. The switch reduced the overall weight by about 6 ounces so had to affect the balance, but for me it handles just fine. It's possible that the new weight and balance are closer to what the gunmaker intended than they were with the pad.

So yes, it can make sense to adjust weight and balance by removing wood from the stock, but it might be good to go slow. Measure weight and balance point before adding the pad. then shoot the gun a bit and see if you want to adjust things to reproduce the original weight and balance. Good Luck!

Builder, have to shot with the microcell pads? Do you feel they do a good job reducing recoil? As light as they are, are they suitable for field guns? Any concerns about their durability?

Bill

Last edited by billwolfe; 02/08/18 07:56 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Billwolfe,
I installed it two months ago but the flue and the cold snowy weather has kept me indoors. Sorry. I think the sides where you grind them get dirty very easily.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Micro cell pads while not traditional looking are very light and effective in reducing recoil. I find they grind well with a 120 grit 12in disc. You can reduce the weight at the butt from 3 to 5 oz by replacing with a Micro Cell pad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew,
How much weight would you think that those drilled holes remove?
I'm not sure, but I believe I read somewhere the density of walnut and the area removed produced a calculated amount of wieght.
The reason for my interest is that my new Churchill came with a leather covered (heavy) pad, and I may need to rebalance it.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Crossed Chisels used to say , depending on density, a one in hole one inch deep will remove about 1 ounce. The deeper the hole the less effect on balance as it is closer to the balance point.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,
Thanks for the follow up.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

You read right, Karl. Volume times density equals weight. Black Walnut typically has a density of 45 pounds per cubic foot. A cubic foot equals 1728 cubic inches (12" X 12" 12" = 1728 cubic inches) and a pound equals 16 oz. So, a cubic inch of black walnut is equal to 0.417 ounces ((16 oz per pound X 45 pounds) divided by 1728 cubic inches per cubic foot). A one inch diameter cylinder one inch long has a volume of 0.785 cubic inches. And, 0.785 cubic inches times o.417 ounces per cubic inch equals 0.33 ounces. It takes about 3 inches of one inch diameter hole to equal one ounce. Somebody check my calculations, please.

DDA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.