March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#502685 01/22/18 07:26 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anybody else notice this sorry looking bunch?
Auction

If you are looking for a Iver Johnson Single shot 12 ga, a slightly used Davemport Arms falling block, a worn out Crackshot, or a Model 24 that just needs a little cleaning up I might be able help you out. grin

More to follow.

John

gasgunner #502692 01/22/18 07:50 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like some one is selling "Grand Daddy's" guns.

gasgunner #502695 01/22/18 07:58 PM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Yup, I noticed that sorry looking bunch. Good luck. I didn't notice that the sale had already ended. Tell us about the Model 24. Wow.

gasgunner #502706 01/22/18 09:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good to see you posting again, I hope you will share with us some pictures of that G&H marked Remington.

gasgunner #502747 01/23/18 11:20 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Did they ship them bundled?
Magnifying several times it looks like you may have something pretty special?!?
Congrats~~

gasgunner #502805 01/23/18 04:11 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good catch, the G&H looks like it should be an easy repair on the the toe and should clean up nicely. Teaches me to pay more attention to Rock Island's bundles. It is actually one of the things that turns me off on their auctions. Looking forward to seeing the final version once you get it done.

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
PhysDoc #502809 01/23/18 04:30 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PhysDoc
Good to see you posting again, I hope you will share with us some pictures of that G&H marked Remington.

I'm still recovering from the whole photobucket fiasco. As soon as I get another solution for posting pictures I'll do so.

Been pretty busy here at the shop lately as well. The whole industry has been going through a change the last year and a half or so, and we have been busy with trying to adapt and get new products online.

I've got the little G&H cleaned up a little and it actually worked out pretty good. The 2 big chips in the stock are repaired. The uneven gap between the stock and receiver was due to a bent magazine tube which has been taken care of. I lightly rubbed the stock with rotten stone and oil to even it out and remove some of the grime and mildew that had taken up residence on it.

A couple interesting things about the rifle. The barrel is relatively heavy and 26" long. This seemed to me a little odd for what was originally meant to be a small lightweight rifle. Why would someone put a man sized stock and heavy barrel on a little light weight takedown. (although the takedown feature was omitted when it was rebarreled.

Secondly, when I was bending the magazine tube, I noticed that the stock also had some cast-on. I assumed that the magazine tube must have also been bent to the left, but when I straightened it out, the head of the stock no longer mated up with the back of the receiver, but rather contacted on the right side and had a small gap on the left. So I bent the tube back so that the stock and receiver headed up correctly and now we are back to about 1/4" of cast on for a right hand shooter, or cast-off for a lefty. My theory is that whoever commissioned it was a lefty and wanted a good quality repeating .22 that did not throw the brass in front of his face. Probably not to many choices for a lefty in 1932. The bottom eject of the little 24 does not discriminate.

It is also stocked very straight. I have a thin face but still have a hard time getting my head down to where I can look through the rear sight, yet there are no signs of the rifle ever having a scope.

More to come.

John

Oh, another thing. Does anyone know if the safety is reversible on these rifles? It has a button in the front of the trigger guard, but when pushed to the left with your trigger finger it puts it on safe. Opposite of what you would expect, and possibly more evidence of it being for a lefty?

SDH-MT #502811 01/23/18 05:04 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
Did they ship them bundled?
Magnifying several times it looks like you may have something pretty special?!?
Congrats~~

I am about 2 hours from Rock Island so I just drove up and picked them up. I have mixed feelings about buying guns at auction, but I have to say they have a very impressive operation. They move a bunch of guns through that place and do it is a friendly efficient manner. But it is very much buyer beware.

John

gasgunner #502821 01/23/18 06:50 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

"...Does anyone know if the safety is reversible on these rifles? It has a button in the front of the trigger guard, but when pushed to the left with your trigger finger it puts it on safe. Opposite of what you would expect, and possibly more evidence of it being for a lefty?..."

A factory literature/operating instruction brochure dated(?) 1-35 in the lower left corner of the front page for the M24 & pictured page 254/255 'Browning 22cal Rifles by Tyler.

To Set The Safety
'For left-handed shooters a safety can be furnished which works just the opposite of the standard safety.'

There's no specific LH Safety part listed in that 1935 brochure parts list. Just a 'Safety', part#85,,...20cents.
I take it that is the standard RH safety part. A LH version might be spec order/maybe need to send the rifle in for fitting.

That's the only reference I can find about a Left Hand safety being available from Remington for the Mod24.

None of the earlier pictured literature/brochures in that book mention a LH safety at all or spec order availability.

They only state that the safety on the Model24 is RH in operation, using operational wording as: push flat with the guard or all the way to the Right from the LH side to put the gun SAFE,ect.

1935 is IIRC the last year of production for the Mod24,,a very few were assembled from parts in the 3 or 4 years afterwards. But very few,,like maybe 5 or 6.

Nothing in there about the Mod 241 having a LH safety available for it. None of the shown literture mentions one. All state a RH safety in opertion instructions.

Hope this helps..

Kutter #502825 01/23/18 07:12 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for the information, that is very interesting. I'm just glad I tested it with a empty chamber before loading it.

John

I just checked the other rem 24 in this lot of rifles. The safety on it works in the normal push left to fire manner. So I guess we can assume that the G&H rifle was stocked with cast off for a left handed shooter.

Last edited by gasgunner; 01/23/18 07:12 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.