March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (David Williamson, SKB, HalfaDouble, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 391 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fabulous engraving. I'd never have thought of the idea of using a sounder of pigs to flush woodcock. GLS should take notice...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
I have absolutely zero books on the German gun makers. A big error on my part.

It is human nature to try to correct someone when they're wrong. I have planted faux information in the past to entice people to address posters question when there were no responses. It is very effective technique.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my opinion, Edgar Strempel was the Post WWI equivalent of H.A. Lindner. Eye of quality for sure.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post233900

"And with Axle's input of the Robert Eblen sourcing of Edgar Strempel, it just may be that in the late 1920s, or by at least 1930, post WWI the next truly exceptional mechanic with an eye for quality like H. Scherping, H.A. Lindner, etc. is in fact Edgar Stremple. Info in quite elusive for the moment but it would seem he cottons to the side frame reinforcement and post WWII must have had a stash of Simson components, with which he was able thru BüHag( sales co-op Büchsenmacher Handels Gesellschaft) was able to offer upper rung offerings. Seems he was active till 1970 or the mid 1970s and was sourced by Heinrich Münch of Aachen at some point. I'll have to closely smoke over Heinrich Münch's examples for similarities."

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post275290

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post367722

Not sure who performed the tap, tap, tap, but I'll see what I can ferret out along those lines.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

"

Edgar Strempel Suhl(Stre Su) that experienced proof in June 1964. Anyone consider it anything more than a production longarm?"

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=367722&page=4

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

1955 Edgar Stremple.

Might be the same engraver as below?? No, closer inspection negates the possibility of a sideplated example. Locks have a different pin configuration from below and the term orig.(original) is not persent.

Tale purported by listing on Edgar Strempel, Suhl 1955 example

"he(Strempel) made guns for the Soviet leaders. The consignor's notes state that Edgar Strempel employed and/or worked closely with 2 of the most famous European engravers- Karl Kolb and Richard Schilling, the well known and sought after locksmith Guido Kessel and the best actioner August Wuelfing. The stock was made by Ernst and Karl Roell. Walter Schilling was the metal finisher/bluer. The consignor's notes also state that this shotgun was probably made for Nikolai Bulganin who became Chairman of the Council of People's Commissars of the Russian SFSR in 1955. Somehow this shotgun came into possession of Leonid Brezhnev after he became the leader of the Soviet Union in 1964. This shotgun was possibly confiscated from Bulganin after he fell into disgrace and was excluded from the Central Communist Party. Brezhnev then made a gift of this shotgun to the then President of the Soviet Armenian Republic, Anton Kochinyan during a state visit to Armenia In 1969."

Subject longarm:

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just to singularly note the top-shelf mechanics were who were associated w/ Edgar Strempel:

"The consignor's notes state that Edgar Strempel employed and/or worked closely with 2 of the most famous European engravers- Karl Kolb and Richard Schilling, the well known and sought after locksmith Guido Kessel and the best actioner August Wuelfing. The stock was made by Ernst and Karl Roell. Walter Schilling was the metal finisher/bluer. "

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rainey,
I cannot access your photobucket images. What kind of guns are shown, and how do they compare with my new acquisition ( the subject longarm)?
Thank you,
Best Regards,
JBP

Sidelock
Sidelock

One is a sideplated but I guess I was more or less comparing the engraving. See you email account for a couple images.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
These are much better photos than on the other thread. The Simmons logo is clear now. The barrels are marked 16/70 and the action shows a 16/70 on each side of the water table. There is a 16.70( note the period). This is confusing. If there were 16 months in a year, I would say it is a date. I believe it is a post war, East German gun and I am not as "up on" East German marks as I would like to be.
Mike

The barrel flats, of which we only see a little bit, do show a "16/70", telling me this is a 2 3/4 inch chambered 16 ga. My 1979 Simson shows 12/70 on the flats, in addition to the proof date and the Suhl proofhouse marks. If we could see the whole of the barrel flats, that would surely help a lot.
I'm halfway betting there are no Suhl proofhouse marks, which would reinforce the supposition of Otto Reif's involvement.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 01/21/18 07:55 PM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Fabulous engraving. I'd never have thought of the idea of using a sounder of pigs to flush woodcock. GLS should take notice...Geo

I'm aware of an incident where the pilot of a UH-1 used his helicopter to encourage a sounder of wildschwein through a battalion bivouac, flushing many groundpounders.

Hilarity ensued.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.