April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, MattH, Stanton Hillis, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 395 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not sure if it is still offered (probably so), but you could send your Filson waxed cotton garments to Filson and they would re-wax it for you. They even had a class where they taught folks to do their own re-waxing.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know that Orvis will send a Barbour coat back for re-waxing if desired.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of you folks have said that you may try to re-wax your coats. So seeing the fire of intention is lit I will put some how to fuel on the fire. I do this at the end of every winter season (Fall for you folks).
To start I clean the coat with soap and water (Not Detergent) and any real soap will do, next make sure your wax coat is dry inside and out I just hang it up on the back of a chair and turn my hearing aid down when my wife goes into complain mode about that waxy coat of yours!!!
To be truthful it does not matter what wax you use as long as you put it on the coat, it is doing no good if you purchase the stuff and put it in a cupboard now is it?
Now the wax DO NOT MELT IT IN ITS CONTAINER!!!! you want it warm and easy to remove from the container I use a folded cloth pad. If you melt it and saturate a brush or a pad when you apply it to the coat the wax will harden more or less immediately in a thick hard patch. This is now a problem because you have to now try to spread it out over the material, hard work and time consuming.
Close up the main zip fastener close pocket flaps if you have them then lay coat on a flat surface.
You do need one more important tool to start a "Hair Dryer" DO NOT USE THE ONE THE LADY IN YOUR LIFE USES! otherwise I found turning my hearing aid down or off even did not work, for household peace buy one.
I start at the front shoulder and removing a little warm wax from its container with my cloth pad working quickly spread the wax thinly over a small area. Now the using a hair dryer set on medium heat, warm the area of wax you have just applied, then using the pad rub the wax into the cloth and spreading it a little if necessary also making sure any seams and edges are well treated. You will become quite adept at doing it after the first side of your coat, treat the back in the same manner. Next the arms inner cuffs and pocket flaps also I wax the material the zipper teeth are fitted to because if you don't the wind can blow the rain under the zip cover and through the zip material. The down side to doing this is you can have wax transfer on to clothes immediately under your coat so it is water or wax the choice is yours.
When I am satisfied that all is well waxed I fold my coat and place it in a large polythene bag then place on the floor at the bottom of my wardrobe ready for the next winter, I do not use this coat in summer unless the weather demands. Just to hot for me to use.
The polythene bag is extremely important and the obvious is to stop the wax from getting on my other clothes, but more important it stops the wax from drying out of the material so when you first put it on it feels like you re-waxed it yesterday.
So give it a try!!!!!
Damascus.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

We're five time zones away, damascus, but spring is at the end of every winter season over heah'. shocked

My best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ooops! that dam Brit only opens his mouth to change feet!!! 5 time zones? Oh I have no chance to get my head around that so I will stay with our one, and try to get things right with your seasons.

Last edited by damascus; 01/22/18 11:46 AM. Reason: full text did not copy

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.