April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 204 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,052
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have often thought that having your own tree cut, drying it, then working through it all to get the best of the best, is much like taking your own steer to the abbatoir to have butchered for the family's beef. I've done it several times in my life, and came to the conclusion that I'd much rather pick out what I want at the butcher shop than go through the hassle and risk of having a freezer full of tough steaks. It happens. That said, I admire anyone who goes to the effort to research the proper way to do it, and pulls it off. I have 6 or 7 curly maple longrifle blanks bolted together in my shop that have been air drying for at least 45 years. They were cut locally and given to me by a dear departed friend. I'll probably never use them.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You are right Stan, for most people, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

But, if you get a book matched pair of AAA or above, well, digging out a stump and powerwashing it is suddenly viable.

It's like opening a very heavy and dirty box of chocolates.

Everybody thinks they are going to get rich off the Walnut tree littering Grandma's front yard. That's not been my experience, though there is better money in a Walnut log than a Hard Maple log. I know some farmers that were told as kids to plant them for their retirement.

Who know's, maybe your Grandkid's can plant a couple runs and in 80 years get something for them.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Furniture and trim grade walnut (even black walnut!) has become a lot more expensive in the past 18 months. I think that the 90% of the walnut tree that will not make good stock blanks can still be worth cutting and drying.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

20 years ago we planted 4500 black walnuts in the river bottoms as part of a riparian corridor program. I figure in about 80 more years someone is going to have a major harvest.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Its pretty easy to pick up the tele and call Cecil Fredi if you want a very nice blank at a reasonable price, air dried in the Las Vegas desert. Having said that, I can certainly see some satisfaction from a blank derived from a tree from your own property. I had several white oak trees that had been hit by lightning sawed into lumber about 15 or so years ago which I stacked in a barn, and slatted to air dry. My neighbor is a wood worker and he recently made shutters for my house out of that oak. You would not believe how much lumber he went through to make 12 shutters. Much of that wood developed cracks over time. Im wondering if being struck by lightning had something to do with lots of the cracks? Anyway, the shutters are fabulous, and Im guessing they will last much longer than the poplar shutters they replaced.....and I think its kind of neat they came from trees off my farm.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When the young country doctor that built my house married, in 1874, he built this house. First year taxes were paid was 1875. They evidently planted the yard full of red oaks that year, because in 1998 the last one died, from drought. All the others had been pithy or rotten in the heart, but that last one wasn't. I had it cut down, learned it was solid to the first year growth ring, counted the rings, which placed it being planted at about the time the house was built, and decided to preserve as much of it as I could in furniture. I took a 16+ ft. log to a friend with a WoodMizer sawmill and he sawed 840 bd./ft. of boards out of it, and kiln dried them for me on site. Many of the boards checked, as buzz described, and there was much waste, but I had the best of them built into a 4' X 12' dining room table and sideboard buffet. My family, and friends, gather 'round it several times a year to feast and fellowship.

It really is special to have furniture that was built from a tree that was planted by the man that had the house built, Dr. W. J. Herrington. RIP

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Stan,
That's a great story, and what a priceless treasure to have as a centerpiece of your home. Special furniture such as that is enduring.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I clear cut a detached 17 acre tract of pines I have in middle GA last summer, I found an old house I'd forgotten about. Before I re-plant I plan to salvage the floor joists to use for a dinner table like Stan described. It won't be red oak, but hundred year+ old heart pine might be nice...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, southern yellow pine would be a great table. They are most likely a full 2" x 10" and just a light skim cut with a thickness planer, ripped and jointed you will have a table for a few generations.
I can already see a nice trestle table.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, many years ago I had an old house that had been sitting empty for at least fifty years. Floor boards were in poor shape but the joist and main beams were fine. We pulled out 20 plus 4x8 x 16-24' old growth red oak joist and beams. The growth rings were so close that you could not count them with the naked eye. Everything had been notched and pegged to join them. A few cut nails came out with the floor boards. It was such nice clean, clear lumber. Everything was quarter sawed. No knots in them anywhere. I suspect it had been timbered and sawn into lumber on the same farm the house was on. I later learned that house had been moved twice on that farm from the riverbank to a hill and later toward the new road. After all that it was just as solid as the day it was built. Built well with top materials.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.