April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Kolar Dickson, earlyriser, SKB, rwarren, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 1,057 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,854
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Steven,
The action you asked about is a Hein (Alaska made) that is modeled in the Webley 1897 style. All of the parts are there.

The reason for the starkness of the images is that I did the photography for a tri-fold brochure. When the actions get back I'll do a more comprehensive set of images for each.

Dennis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Paul,
The Martini is a switch barrel and the chamberings are .17 HMR and .22 RF Mag.

The action is a Model 12 BSA that Morris profiled like the Model 6 takedown versions. The barrels are 24" long and are full ovate profiled. I have an early Francotte .410 Martini that has a top tang and that was the inspiration for the tang. I'm working on a .25-35 Martini and I scalloped it and it was a nice touch that got incorporated in Morris' rifle.

Some years ago I tried to make a peep sight base for a Martini that used the cleaning rod hole as the attachment point. My base never got completed but during the development of this action Morris ran with the idea. I found windage adjustable Lyman peeps that use a lateral dovetail for adjustment and these got incorporated into Morris' base design saving a big effort in making the entire sight. They sights are readily removable with a few turns of the thumb screw and the only mounting vestige visible when the sight is removed is a small dimple where the thumb screw secures the sight.

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

What is "full ovate"? As in oval in cross section?

I was wondering if the grip on the Martini might be pretty tall since the lever seems to dive downwards very fast and the strong hand has to be set back a ways to be behind the "tang" sight. But a Model 12 Martini is pretty small so the scale is undoubtedly sufficiently small.

My old Martini .22 (Model 1215?) had a rear tang sight as factory made. I believe the sight was a "Model 8", but memory is not infallable of course, especially mine. Not sure why you didn't simply go that route, however.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis:

Can you tell us more about the Hein action. I cannot find anything on the web. Is it a one off or are others available?

Thanks

Antonio

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by skeettx; 01/17/18 06:12 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brent,
Ovate (hint ovum) means egg shaped. The bottom half of the profile cross section is a hemisphere and the top half is like the small end of an egg with the top removed to form the rib.

The lever contour is the same as the four-barrel Martini project and nearly identical to the Hoffman.

I'm fairly sure that my Hoffman and G&H Martinis both had Model 8 BSA peeps as there are nicks in the top of the grip area from the aperture hitting the wood when folded down. The last Model 12 Martini that I got had one of the Parker Hales and they are clubby and not attractive. The BSA and the Parker Hales for Martinis are, I believe, inferior to the Lyman tang sights, the Parker Hale unsuitable for a high quality custom rifle.

Dennis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Antonio,
It is my understanding that only 3 of these Hein actions were made. Fine workmanship in both fit and finish. Morris barreled this rifle with a Krieger blank, it is 26" long, full ovate and chambered for the .470 Nitro Express.

Morris probably can tell you more about the action if you contact him.

Dennis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Skeettx,
No these are Lyman 29 1/2 and Lyman 30 1/2 sights. See earlier narrative on the sights you reference.

Last edited by Dennis Daigger; 01/17/18 08:35 PM.

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, having used both the Lymans (old vintage) and the Martini, I would say their qualities are quite comparable - though neither quite in keeping with the rifle that you are creating. The Martini I had was a club competition rifle and actually far more repeatable than a Lyman as well (a critical feature in my mind). But either way, what I was really getting at was the means of anchoring the sight to the action, not the sight itself. What you have will certainly work though. It's a great rifle.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow Dennis! Morris did an incredible job with all those actions but my favorite is the pistol grip Rolling Block with Rigby Flats. I was fortunate to see Morris' barrel work first hand and am glad you (he) are sharing these with the forum.

Very nicely done!
... Joe

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.