April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jem Finch, earlyriser), 1,055 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,121
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Heres what I would do.
Fireform your brass and check to see if they blow out to what your chamber cast showed.
Then measure the inside diameter of your formed brass. Thats what you patch up to. Deduct .008 and that will get you to the biggest bare bullet diameter your chamber will allow.
Depending on your chamber throat and the ogive of your bullet, you may find that the bullet will need to be seated well into the case rather than way out to avoid pushing hard into the lands.
My guess is that a fire formed case will accommodate a .468 patched bullet so a slick of .460 will be about what you will need for a patched bullet that will slip snugly into your fired cases.
A bullet like this will work with black powder and will be appropriate for NfB loads as well.

Last edited by Huvius; 12/08/17 12:45 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are a number of different moulds depending on what you want to do and what diameter bullet you want to shoot.

Are you looking to shoot groove diameter or land diameter and for hunting or plinking only? or serious target work for that matter?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

49NORTH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Huvius, Thanks, I will wait til I get my brass.

BrentD, I would love to hunt with this rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall, if your gun was engraved by Bob Evans and George Komadina did the bluing...your gunstock was likely made by Al Lind of Lakewood, WA.

George did my bluing for 30 years before he retired. Al Lind is still a friend and mentor.

There are two other possibilities.... Darwin or Trez Hensley. This gun doesn't have Darwin's "touches" to my eye.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall, I can now confirm your gun was made by Al Lind of Lakewood, WA. I handled two different gunstocks he made just last week. The shaping on the comb are identical to the stock in the picture.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis,
I was glad to hear that Al Lind is doing fine. I knew him more in the past, when he was still flying for Northwest Airlines. He was friends with Don Allen, as was I. The 3D stock panto-graph that Al has is the first prototype one I built for Don A.

If you talk to Al Lind please tell him I say Hi, Lynn Fliger.
Vall, you have a really nice rifle done by some of the best artisans we have ever enjoyed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DES/TSD
Vall, I can now confirm your gun was made by Al Lind of Lakewood, WA. I handled two different gunstocks he made just last week. The shaping on the comb are identical to the stock in the picture.

Thanks! Assume you meant Al Lind did the wood, not the whole build. I already knew Robert Evans did the engraving, and George Komandine did the bluing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, Al may have done the metal work. He could have also had Ed LaPour or Bruce Farman help him. He has done it all three ways in past. I just do not know. In his younger years Al and Don may have done it together. All of this is possible. I just know Al did the wood work on this project. I talked to Bob Evans just this last week in Vegas. He is still working. George has retired and is hard to get a hold of. I talked to Al just yesterday and today....he says without looking he could not say he did not build the metalwork too. He is still full of fire.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DES/TSD
Actually, Al may have done the metal work. He could have also had Ed LaPour or Bruce Farman help him. He has done it all three ways in past. I just do not know. In his younger years Al and Don may have done it together. All of this is possible. I just know Al did the wood work on this project. I talked to Bob Evans just this last week in Vegas. He is still working. George has retired and is hard to get a hold of. I talked to Al just yesterday and today....he says without looking he could not say he did not build the metalwork too. He is still full of fire.

No, Bob Evans is a very good friend of mine, and he told me he did the metal prep prior to engraving and having George do the bluing. Bob actually built two identical guns, and the picture I posted was one of the pair.
George was doing some work after he retired, but only for a small number of customers. I have used George previously and would have loved to continue after he retired, but I rarely needed his service, so I wasn't able to use him later. After George's wife passed away, he finally quit completely. He's been playing with his old cars, and just keeping busy doing what he wants for himself.

Last edited by Vall; 01/24/18 01:39 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know George. I am one of those blessed few. He has done my bluing for 30 years. Linda was a great lady. My 3 girls called him "Uncle George" because we were over there enough times while living in PDX.

I heard of a pair Bob did within the past 5 years.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.