March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (FlyChamps, Ken Nelson, Lloyd3, Jimmy W, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 320 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,995
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never tried mixing my own but might have to now with the formulas provided.

In past l have either used Barbour or Filson wax.

I put the wax on pretty heavy especially in the high wear areas and seams. Then hang in the hot summer sun and it seems to even out the wax. If there are areas that appear thin, I reapply in these area.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now I have no complaint at all with modern fashion garments. Though when fashion takes hold of the traditional working wax jacket the garment can be compromised to the point that it becomes in many cases not fit for purpose.
In the photographs is my Wax Jacket from days past when you could purchase your jacket made to measure from a number of suppliers, at just a little more cost than purchasing a readymade one. Other than Barbour there where a number of other small companies who also manufactured Waxed clothing for the Farming community and the outdoor sportsman whatever their pursuit, and in my humble opinion made a true heavy duty and reasonably good looking working mans product rather than bowing to the fashion market.
Given this jacket of mine has been in regular use and regularly waxed for forty five years now and so far it is as good as the day it left the makers all those years ago.
Its basic design is as good as it gets for a wind and rain proof jacket, also the outer Cotton fabric made from long staple Egyptian Cotton this type of Cotton is acknowledged as the finest hard waring but soft Cotton material available here in Brit land.
Starting at the top the Corduroy collar is sized to what we would call a Choker made tight about your neck to stop water from running down your neck passing the collar and wetting your under garments, this does take a little getting acclimatised to. You can see a row of press stud fasteners set in to the collar this is to attach a separate hood to keep your hat on in high winds also keeping the rain out of your ears or just the wind out.
The jacket has four front pockets the two mid line pockets being hand warmer pockets very well insulated and deep taking your hands plus gloves. The two lower pockets are of bellows design that can swallow a 25 box of 12 gauge cartridges in each pocket and still have room to spare.
The heavy-duty metal zip opens top to bottom and bottom to top making it easy to retrieve items from your internal pockets, the zip is also covered by a placket secured by press stud fastening keeping wind and water out. On the subject of the press stud fasteners they have bronze caps, that are so unlike the modern jackets with a bright Chrome finish in consequence you are covered by a dozen or so miniature light reflectors giving away your position if you pigeon shoot. The tightly knitted sleeve cuffs are set high internally in the sleeve to the point that if you clench your fist your hand is covered by the sleeves bottom so placing it out of the wind and rain
Inside the jacket it has been given a very deep bottom waterproof skirt to stop water soaking up from your trousers into the Wool and manmade fibre lining an all wool lining would have given up by now . You can see an internal game pocket known here as a poachers pocket this is made of waterproof material inside and out to stop blood from your kill soaking into the jacket, also there is a stowage pocket inside this to keep the hood when not in use.
The last picture shows how truly pliable this wax jacket cloth really is and how much of a difference the Petroleum Jelly makes to the cloths pliability, the jacket is folded reasonably tightly with the hood included, the mug is there to give some size perspective.
The jacket has performed so well over the years and may be Barbour may get some stiff competition from a traditional maker some time in the future.
And finally I use a multi folded cotton pad to apply wax to the jacket, and heat the area with a hair dryer to enable the wax to melt fully into the cloth fibres.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

In country shops around me you can pick up a wax jacket for less than 30 stock changes a lot, sometimes they are an "odd" shade of green, and somtimes they have plastic zips ( which i dislike ) but i have grown up in many of mine and they have lasted years. When i can buy a jacket that will last 5+ years for 30 quid, Barbour just cant tempt me. A Barbour would have to last 30 years to be worth while and any brand name is no match for a snag on some barbed wire.

I once made the colossal mistake of over waxing my coat, every imaginable seed head and dog hair adhered to me and despite going through the washing machine twice to try and remove the wax it was never the same afterwards!

The reason wax jackets are so good is not because they are particularly water proof, on the moors water will find its way through when visibility closes in and the wind and rain is side ways. It will keep the worst of the wind of, and its very much functional clothing, easily repaired and after a couple of years your old wax will stretch and hold its form unique to you, putting an old wax on is like a long hug from an old friend, there are a lot of unsaid words, memories and feelings in that sort of a hug, and to me, its the same when you put on an old wax.

My first wax came from a local country store and cost 29.00, which aged 14 felt like a lot of money! A new wax is a horrible thing, a wax should never be clean, it should be crinkled and stained and ripped and show use, turning up to beating i stood out like a sore thumb in my pristine wax. 7 years later i was forced to retire that wax, the most comfortable garment i ever had, with a unique smell of, muck, dog, and nitro powder, the pockets an inexhaustible supply of rusty rimmed cartridges, the pockets bulged the sleeves four inches too short. My best mate refuses to retire his!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not understand the fascination with waxed cotton jackets after owning one and a few other waxed pieces of apparel.

In cold weather, they are stiff as boards and moisture condenses inside of them. In warm weather, they are unbearably hot and one sweats like crazy in them. They are heavy. And every high point or crease or raised seam on them is subject to hard and fast wear which puts holes in them in no time.

My wax coat was an Orvis - not sure who really made it, but Orvis generally tries to sell high quality stuff. It worked a hole through the right shoulder in no time where I would rest a shotgun while walking. The sleeves wore through on their seams where my forearm would rest on the armrest in my pick up.

For those that like them, more power to ya, but I don't see any value in them at all. Like Russel Moccasin boots, I fell for the hype and found that I'm just an ordinary guy that does much better with ordinary stuff for the most part.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus, that is a lovely coat. I have an appreciation for quality products that will last a very long time, and 45 Years is an amazing tale. I have a Filson waxed cotton game jacket that I purchased at 75% off when a local Filson dealer went out of business in 2008. I do enjoy wearing it out and about or when working in the yard on a cold day. I enjoy the nostalgia of wearing it and caring for it.I think the key to keeping these jackets going is a regular regime of waxing. Russell boots also require a similar amount of care and attention. I think many people have a throwaway mentality these days. It is nice to see a quality product, with care, lasting for many decades.

Owen
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Love my Barbour(the second one) and I get 10+ years out of them. Bought the last one on the cheap from a buddy who is a dealer, ran me about 200$. I should get a few more years out of the current one. Stops wind dead, plenty warm with a light fleece under it.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Although I have looked at the Barbour jackets for years, starting with a motorcycle jacket years ago, I have never owned one of that brand. I had an old Filson when I was young but that is the only Big Name brand I have had. In the past few years I have found the products of the Outback brand to be quite functional and certainly more reasonably priced than the Barbours. I just received this week a waxed cotton Deer Hunter Coat by Outback from the Sportsman's Guide for just under $150. It is lined and has pockets of the right size in the right places and certainly seems to be of decent quality. Whether or not it will last for 45 years is questionable, but for the price I am willing to try my hand at re-waxing this one!!

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember a company named Lewis Creek that made wax coats of different styles. I have some of their moleskin shirts that were very good. Their wax coats had some very functional and useful features. It's been 10 years or so since they went out.
I picked up a Barbour Beaufort several years ago and like it. This thread got me thinking about it's eventual rewaxing.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

I reproof my chaps every August to provide the most protection for my legs as possible. Maybe that is excessive, or maybe I just like thinking about the upcoming hunting season...

Either way, for those who are concerned with doing the reproofing themselves, I did see this during a Google search. I have zero relation or knowledge of the company...just sharing.

http://www.newenglandreproofers.com/

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't attest to the quality, but there is a company called WorkWear King (WWK), which seems to be something like the English version of Dickies or Red kap (sellers of traditional-styled working man's "uniform" clothes). So if you need a Barbour look on a beaters wage, it is a good place to shop.

In addition to construction types of workwear, they have a narrow selection of hunting wear, including waxed cotton jackets, flat caps, and vests which they state are made in England. At their prices, I am skeptical, but oh well.

They are very low priced (25 GBP or $35 USD on ebay). But, if you are an American buying, it's usually an English seller and you'll have to pay $20 or more for shipping and returns could be complicated. https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWK-Mens-Jacket-Brown-Wax-Quilted-Cotton-Garment-Male-Outdoor-Clothing-New/400345041908?hash=item5d366c8bf4:m:mTjrPBObeq7V99c91El1RoQ

There are sometimes domestic US sellers on Amazon; the total all-in cost is higher (around $70 USD) but you can feasibly get a return. https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWK-Mens-Jacket-Brown-Wax-Quilted-Cotton-Garment-Male-Outdoor-Clothing-New/400345041908?hash=item5d366c8bf4:m:mTjrPBObeq7V99c91El1RoQ

Workwear King also makes/sells a tweed vest and tweed shooting coat. They look the part and are functional. Side-by-side with an Orvis or quality English piece you can clearly see areas where corners were cut and costs were saved, but they look nice and are functional enough.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.