April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (skeettx), 467 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Three cropped close-ups of mullered borders and how the are finished at the point of a V. Note the slight ridge down the V of the mullering. This is the right side drop point photographed upside down on my bench vise. The checkering is 25 lpi checkering enlarged quite a bit above real size so imperfections are more obvious. There is no such thing as "perfect checkering" James Tucker and Jerry Fisher (who do the closest known to man "almost perfect checkering") agree with that statement.

Mind you,this is my custom Fox that was checkered about 1993 and I've been using and shooting it ever since so some wear and slight damage has occured.

Bill, if you don't quit responding to that idiot, I'll quit responding to you! Use the IGNORE FEATURE, it works!!

Last edited by SDH-MT; 01/16/18 05:41 PM. Reason: edited again
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Brittany Man
Boy I wish this thread would get back to "Mullered Borders".

I really think a mullered border adds a lot of "class" to any point type checkering job.

I remember when perfectly executed borderless checkering patterns were all the rage in custom rifles & borders were looked upon as a means of covering up checkering runovers. Although there may be a bit of truth in this I always thought a point pattern looked "naked" w/o a border & a perfectly executed mullered border isn't exactly a cover up for runovers.

I'd be interested in a checkering discussion and some pictures of mullered borders vs alternatives. What makes good and not so good checkering? I'm trying to learn a little and maybe try my hand at recheckering and checkering.

Personally, I prefer borderless checkering, but I'm not very sophisticated and might change my mind if some interesting examples and variations could be posted. I certainly need the education.

Brent

PS. I have made good use of the "ignore" function. If folks don't post offensive quotes, I generally don't even see them. Anyone can do this to avoid going off road...

PPS. Steve, I didn't see those photos when I put up my post a few minutes ago. They just jumped in now.

Last edited by BrentD; 01/16/18 06:39 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SDH-MT #501864 01/16/18 07:07 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
"There is no such thing as "perfect checkering" James Tucker and Jerry Fisher (who do the closest known to man "almost perfect checkering") agree with that statement."

Yes, I should have said "well executed" as opposed to "perfectly executed" but I think anyone who has ever attempted to complete the simplest checkering pattern knows what I meant.

BTW I often pull out your "Fine Gunmaking & Double Shotguns" & "Double Guns & Custom Gunsmithing" books for reference & I admire your custom Fox.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my opinion there is little use for borderless checkering. It just looks unfinished.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, thank you very much for posting those excellent photos and for the further explanation. It is as I had pictured it in my mind. I will leave for the Vegas show tomorrow with a much clearer understanding of mullered borders.

One other question about all this ........... what is the earliest example of mullered borders that we know of? Is it a contemporary thing, or was it practiced on best guns 120 yrs. ago?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mullered borders were used in American on ALL Parker guns from inception (so, late 1860s).
I cannot speak clearly to the history of use in Britain and the European continent. But it was certainly in use in those areas before the turn of the century.

B.Dudley
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The British were using mullered boarders in the flintlock period. There are a number of pictures in Unsworth's excellent book "The Early Purdey's".

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks to Dave for monitoring this post!

Yes, mullered borders predate American gunmaking as does the term mullered.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had great luck restoring an old hammer Parker by cutting a double line border and then using a small round needle file to cut the concave middle. Wasn't really much of a job and looks perfect.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

A round file is great for cleaning up the groove but would be tedious for making new one. Files are not the best tools for working on or finishing the ends of the borders.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.