January
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
12 registered (Eric 375, J.B.Patton, keith, Joe Wood, damascus, gjw), 116 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13319 Members
9 Forums
31257 Topics
420738 Posts

Max Online: 462 @ 08/05/16 08:13 PM
Topic Options
#500586 - 01/05/18 06:45 PM Rising bite, bar-in-wood double rifle
Dewey Vicknair Offline
Boxlock

I had posted the beginning of this project a while back. Rising bite, unitized, inboard mounted sidelocks, 7.62x51R (.30-30). With the exception of the recoil pad, every art was made here, no CNC, no EDM, no castings, no rough parts. I still have some screws to make (for the forend escutcheons) and I need to design a safety mechanism that doesn't wreck the smooth line of the top strap. There are FAR too many photos to post here, if you're interested the whole project is documented here:

http://vicknairgunsmithing.blogspot.com/2016/09/from-raw.html

http://vicknairgunsmithing.blogspot.com/2017/03/from-raw-update.html

http://vicknairgunsmithing.blogspot.com/2017/08/from-raw-gettin-wood.html

http://vicknairgunsmithing.blogspot.com/2017/11/almost-done.html

The bases accept Talley rings and will be screwed and sweated in place.

#500591 - 01/05/18 07:03 PM Re: Rising bite, bar-in-wood double rifle [Re: Dewey Vicknair]
rocky mtn bill Offline
Sidelock

Loc: MT
That someone actually does all this seems just a little short of miraculous. Good for you. Keep it up. Could you give an estimate of time invested?

#500611 - 01/05/18 09:52 PM Re: Rising bite, bar-in-wood double rifle [Re: Dewey Vicknair]
Dewey Vicknair Offline
Boxlock

About 1500 hours, spread over three years.

#500613 - 01/05/18 10:13 PM Re: Rising bite, bar-in-wood double rifle [Re: Dewey Vicknair]
bushveld Offline
Sidelock

Beautiful regulation. Are the barrels shoelump as they seem to be?

#500615 - 01/05/18 10:24 PM Re: Rising bite, bar-in-wood double rifle [Re: bushveld]
Dewey Vicknair Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: bushveld
Beautiful regulation. Are the barrels shoelump as they seem to be?

Combined shoe and through lump. The hook, lump, saddle, stub-rib and rib extension are all one integral piece. There are photos of the lump prior to assembling the barrels.

#500631 - 01/06/18 09:48 AM Re: Rising bite, bar-in-wood double rifle [Re: Dewey Vicknair]
bushveld Offline
Sidelock

Thank you, and I found the photos of the barrel lump. Without question it is a significant engineering and machining project, not to mention the hand fitting that is beyond the capabilities of the vast majority of gunmakers. The Guilloche work is a really excellent touch and demonstrates skill that is not seen by gunmakers in the USA. Machining the shoe/through lump for proper barrel convergence in and of itself alone must have taken significant pre-thought. Hardening and tempering the striker discs shows understanding of the stresses that the rifle will undergo during its lifetime.

I will be waiting to see what engraving patterns you choose.

Is there a photo of the barrels muzzle and front sight?

#501194 - 01/11/18 08:42 AM Re: Rising bite, bar-in-wood double rifle [Re: bushveld]
Dewey Vicknair Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: bushveld
Thank you, and I found the photos of the barrel lump. Without question it is a significant engineering and machining project, not to mention the hand fitting that is beyond the capabilities of the vast majority of gunmakers. The Guilloche work is a really excellent touch and demonstrates skill that is not seen by gunmakers in the USA. Machining the shoe/through lump for proper barrel convergence in and of itself alone must have taken significant pre-thought. Hardening and tempering the striker discs shows understanding of the stresses that the rifle will undergo during its lifetime.

I will be waiting to see what engraving patterns you choose.

Is there a photo of the barrels muzzle and front sight?

I'll have to get some photos of the front sight/muzzle area. The only engraving will be the caliber marking, flowers on the screw heads and my name on each lock cover plate.

#501686 - 01/15/18 04:08 PM Re: Rising bite, bar-in-wood double rifle [Re: Dewey Vicknair]
bonny Offline
Sidelock

Loc: Dublin
Lovely work Dewey. The rising bite, like all good ideas, is so simple.

#502290 - 01/19/18 01:51 PM Re: Rising bite, bar-in-wood double rifle [Re: Dewey Vicknair]
nitro450exp Offline
Sidelock

Loc: USA / RSA
Why did you decide on bar in wood?

Nitro

#502436 - Yesterday at 10:00 PM Re: Rising bite, bar-in-wood double rifle [Re: nitro450exp]
Dewey Vicknair Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: nitro450exp
Why did you decide on bar in wood?

Nitro

The challenge, mainly.

I thought it would look good with a hammerless action and I didn't want to make something that looks like everything else.

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2017 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.