May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Chuckster, R. Glenz, buckstix, oskar, JDH, PALUNC), 229 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,922
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Banc D'Epreuves de Liege provisional proof on the thumb push guns is the only I've seen where it would be visible.
All the other tube maker's (not proof) marks, on every U.S. maker's gun, are on the bottom of the barrels just forward of the flats.

'JDH' is an unknown maker's mark on Lefevers

1892 G grade

The others are 'ADH' - Arthur-Delvaux-Heuse & George Laloux (posted on p.2).
Lots of examples
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/18490292

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recall Russ Ruple saying he had had several Lefevers with proof marks, but don't believe he stated whether they were on top or not, just assumed they were underneath where at last the forend would have to be removed to see them.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have several Lefevers with proof marks on the bottom of the barrels.

lefeverarms.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
This catalog (Jan 1, 1889) shows a cocking rod gun with side pivot top lever. It also mentions the 3 position safety & the top lever being held over by a latch. I will have to look for certain, maybe tomorrow, but am quite certain my side pivot rod cocker has only a 2 position safety & as I recall the lever goes back to center as the gun is closed, being cammed open by the rib extension on closing.

I was correct, my gun, SN 10,515, does have only the two position safety & the top lever does come back to center when the gun is fully opened, no hold over latch. The lower surface of the doll's head is cut on a radius which cams the lever over to the right as the barrels are closed. The extractor is not secured. The track in the bottom of the rib extension in which the extractors ride seems to be cut with a slight taper as it nears the outer limit which provides tension to prevent extractor falling out, but it can be grasped & pulled out against this tension with no tools needed. It has all of the compensating features of these early Lefevers. If there are any other details anyone would like, just ask & I will try my best to provide an answer.

PS; I will note my gun has the smooth concave rib as pictured in the gun drew showed with the proof marks. The rib marking reads Lefever Arms Co Makers Syracuse NY rather than patentees & reads in the opposite direction than Drew's example. The 1889 catalog states all guns unless otherwise ordered will be supplied with a matted rib. There are no proof nor barre;makers marks which I can find, either top or bottom. I have a two hook gun with a GL bbl makers mrk & some large hook guns with SBL&Co marks.

Last edited by 2-piper; 01/06/18 05:20 PM. Reason: added data

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

This discussion has been great in improving my understanding of serial number anomalies. It makes good sense that barrels were numbered when they came to the factory and that frames were numbered later to the barrels to which they were fitted. Thank you for this good discussion. On the proof mark question, I have had Damascus barreled Lefevers with no proof marks, Belgian proof marks
or hallmarks, and one with a Birmingham proof mark. On fluid steel barrels, once tubes less expensive than Whitworth and Krupp were introduced, I recall another proof mark of a Belgian maker or distributor of fluid steel tubes. I do not remember the specific letters or symbols.

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

neither my lefever Nitro Special or my lefever A grade carry any extra proof marks..... grin

although both are marked for choke constriction....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ithaca... like you didn't already know...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm talking Syracuse Lefevers not Nitro Specials.

lefeverarms.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

do I detect an un-noble attitude....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Ithaca... like you didn't already know...Geo

you say that like it is an insult....

and yes I know the difference....but for some reason the attitude of most "Lefever" owners rubs me the wrong way.....they have some diluted opinion that the Lefever is the be all and end all in American doubles....more of a designer that couldn't make up his mind what he wanted to do.....

gunut
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.