May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ted Schefelbein, Borderbill, Vol423), 233 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,163
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
He does not test during winter. It may be as late as April before he gets cranked back up.

SRH

If someone is interested in getting a load checked now, Precision Reloading offers testing services. I sent in a turkey load for testing several years ago and they did a quick and thorough job. My load was under the SAAMI max pressure, but not by much.

There's a community of turkey hunters that have been handloading 18g/cc density tungsten for about a decade now, and many of us have used the Precision lab to test loads. Nearly all of the loads have PSB buffering; it does raise the pressure but definitely tightens the patterns. It's too much trouble to me to add buffering for anything except turkey loads

https://www.precisionreloading.com/view.php?pg=shot_proof

Last edited by coosa; 01/02/18 11:09 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan, reread what I wrote. I'm not talking about "wiggle room" or pushing anywhere close to the edge. Nor am I using a damascus or even an old gun. A 1990s vintage Merkel with 3" chambers and relieved forcing cones is not your bud's Boswell, now is it?

Please find a load that is published as safe for lead and unsafe for Bi. The published loads I found are quite the opposite. What is safe for one is safe for the other.

While I agree that being careful is paramount, staying in bed all day might qualify as "too careful". We could, in the name of carefulness, simply melt down all of our shotguns, couldn't we?

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

brent....several people, with what looks like greater experience in reloading than you or I, are suggesting that your theories about substituting powders and shot material are suspect at best. No gutter here, as you apparently know exactly what you are doing, despite suggestions to the contrary. And to suggest that most reloaders do not measure their shot drops....gives me more pause.

I have a universal charge bar on my MEC. I weigh every powder drop until it's within a grain or two max, then re weigh every 5 to 7 drops after that. I do the same with my shot, typically within one or two pellets when using #7 1/2 shot. when I make small batches I weigh everything for every shell. I follow published and tested loads....why...why not? All the hard work has been done.

It has become very apparent, as you admitt here, that your conclusions come from the fact that your very stout and solid shotgun has not suffered any damage yet, and therefore, your lead bismuth recipes are sound. Hmmmmmm....

Last edited by dal; 01/02/18 11:46 AM.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Like I said, dal, show me a load that is safe with lead, unsafe with Bismuth. Just show me.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For anyone that is interested, BPI Bismuth is a 6% tin alloy, like Rotometal. I got a note from Shannon Swahn saying, "Anything less than that is not going to produce a round enough pellet."

_________

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok, I'll take a bunch of my grouse/pheasant lead hand loads and make them up using bismuth. Then I'll shoot them out of my Krupp barreled Zoli, it should be strong enough to handle any over pressure, and if the barrels dont burst...I'll consider them good loads and pass them on to others.

Or I could send test loads to Tom...

Last edited by dal; 01/02/18 12:58 PM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

dal, I'm not sure why you want to be so antagonistic. Do what you please, but take it elsewhere. You have nothing constructive or insightful to contribute.

_________

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

as opposed to you just saying its ok to just switch reloading componants purely based on the fact that that so far you have not had a barrel burst?

very insightful indeed.

others have added constructive comments, but you continue to say that you are on the right track.

good luck.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can't find such a load, eh?

_________

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Can't find such a load, eh?"

Nope....no sense going on your journey until I finally find one that bursts my barrels....or send hundreds of loads to Tom, which I can't do.

So I'll let you have at it...and I'll stick with published loads.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.