May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (GETTEMANS, AGS), 266 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,924
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I really enjoy shooting my hammer guns, but I've noticed that it's not uncommon to see a hammer gun that has worn tumblers to the point where the hammer won't hold back. Are hammer guns intrinsically more prone to that because the sear notch in the tumbler is so small, or is that just more an issue with low end guns? I don't recall seeing many high quality hammer guns with this issue.

I'm asking mostly out of curiosity, but also because I'd like to use my hammer guns for target shooting more often, but I'm often hesitant due to concerns about wearing them out, and I'm not sure if that's something to concern myself with or not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably a good subject on which to get Dig Hadoke's views.

Sidelock
Sidelock

some of my hammer guns show signs of being well used - fortunately also mostly well cared for. i hunt and shoot clays with them and have never seen excessive wear on the tumbler or sear notch-

and I normally strip the locks to clean them when i first get the gun - years of petrified oil and such, so i get a good look at them - that includes a better grade Belgium gun, British hammer guns hammer and Parker hammer guns

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you will see the wear/misalignment predominant in locks that do not have a bridle. On hammerless guns, and sidelocks with a bridle, the tumbler is supported on both sides of the tumbler and alignment is maintained. In locks that only have a tumbler pin supported in the sideplate, the spring pressure is always twisting at the pin in the tumbler bushing and minimal wear will let the tumbler and sear get out of proper engagement.

My $.02,

John

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John E
I think you will see the wear/misalignment predominant in locks that do not have a bridle. On hammerless guns, and sidelocks with a bridle, the tumbler is supported on both sides of the tumbler and alignment is maintained. In locks that only have a tumbler pin supported in the sideplate, the spring pressure is always twisting at the pin in the tumbler bushing and minimal wear will let the tumbler and sear get out of proper engagement.

My $.02,

Thanks John. That's very good insight.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: OH Osthaus
some of my hammer guns show signs of being well used - fortunately also mostly well cared for. i hunt and shoot clays with them and have never seen excessive wear on the tumbler or sear notch-

and I normally strip the locks to clean them when i first get the gun - years of petrified oil and such, so i get a good look at them - that includes a better grade Belgium gun, British hammer guns hammer and Parker hammer guns

That's consistent with my experience too. I think most of the worn out guns I've seen have been low grade guns that don't have the tolerances that John referenced above.

Sidelock
Sidelock

THe theoretical advantage is with the hammer gun, especially the back action type that has a solid action bar. A totally manuall operated system has fewere bits to wear and mistime compared to a self cocking or a self ejecting one.

In practice even cheap hammer guns, like those that Italian makers produced in the thousands post WWII, stand up well to wear, even abuse, as long as rust is kept away. Wear in the sear bents, more frequently the safety bent than the full cock bent, seems to be due to poor heat treatment than a design thing. Replacement tumblers are available and changing them is not that hard to do.

I am confused by the comment above re bridles. Which hammer guns have no bridles in their locks? Seems impossible to hold a tumbler up against the lock plate with no bridle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark, shoot the bloody gun to your heart's content. Keep it clean and properly lubed and it most likely will outlast you. Most wear comes from negligence. Having said that, avoid removing the locks frequently. In dry conditions once a year should be enough.

And a word about lubricating: easily overdone, just a little grease goes a long way. It will quickly wick into all the tight spots and do what it's intended to do. Gobbling it on will do nothing more than soak the wood. You've seen enough of that!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Joseph Lang was built in 1866 and I have no Idea how much it was used before I bought it. I've shot over 6,000 cartridges in her and she works as well as ever. I shot quail with her Friday a week ago, 100 rounds of clays this past Friday and am taking her quail hunting in Georgia next Saturday. I fully expect someone else to be shooting her regularly after my demise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only locks without bridles that I've seen were early CVA muzzleloaders. I don't believe the bents are any different size between the hammer guns and hammerless. I've had a number of locks apart and have never noticed a difference. I shoot my hammer guns and never think about it. At least the hammer gun locks are easier to work on - especially the tumblers and sears. The bents are on the hammers in a hammerless gun and they're usually much harder to remove than taking apart a sidelock. JMHO

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks everyone, this is all great to hear. I should probably be making it a goal to wear out a gun, not the other way around :0

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: FlyChamps
My Joseph Lang was built in 1866 and I have no Idea how much it was used before I bought it. I've shot over 6,000 cartridges in her and she works as well as ever. I shot quail with her Friday a week ago, 100 rounds of clays this past Friday and am taking her quail hunting in Georgia next Saturday. I fully expect someone else to be shooting her regularly after my demise.

I also have a J Lang hammer gun from about the same time. Inside the locks look like stainless steel, they are so highly polished. Every thing tight and working fine. I put about 500 rounds through it a year. I doubt I will wear it out.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do admit that I have a fondness for hammer guns though one thing I have found to be true over the years applying to vintage hammer guns is, no matter whose name is emblazoned on the outside the name to look for engraved on the inside of the lock plate is "Joseph Brazier Ashes". His name can be found inside lock plates made by the finest London makers like Purdey to high quality provincial makers. On the whole they seem to be bomb proof having a very long life in service, and the only down side of the locks is if Bubba try's to strip service the lock not knowing how seriously strong that main spring really is. One slip up and it is all over!!!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.