April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Ken Nelson, David Williamson, Hugh Lomas, 4 invisible), 198 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,058
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#498586 12/20/17 08:31 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am searching for whomever this image originated with. I am working on a document which will explain how words are placed into damascus patterns. I would like to give credit to the person who took this Pieper barrel photo and made it available to the public.

Thanks!

Pieper by Steve Culver, on Flickr[/img]

Steve Culver
Steve Culver Knives
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that Pieper image was first posted here by “El Garro” some time after this thread in 2008
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...&PHPSESSID=

And just found this by Mick Maxen
http://www.fireandiron.co.uk/mick-maxen/

Another take on "American Flag" by Bex Simon
https://www.bexsimon.com/damascus-steel/

Sidelock
Sidelock

I looked through the user list and "El Garro" is no longer registered.
Still trying to find the original thread.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
I looked through the user list and "El Garro" is no longer registered.
Still trying to find the original thread.

I believe he recently posted that he'd changed his moniker here...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suggest checking on the copyright status before using it in a publication.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi, not looked at the site for a few days sorry. I'd Googled Damascus patterns and came across the pic there, no idea which page or site it came from unfortunately.
There's a folder on my computer which I keep pictures and descriptions of the many different types and patterns and their names, will check it later to see if there's any kind of a link to the picture in question.
Got a feeling it was after seeing the Presidents gun with his name in the barrel pattern. Sorry I can't remember his name (if it's any consolation, I know nothing about the politics this side of the pond either)
Apologies if the picture belongs to someone here, hadn't intended to tread on any toes.
Nick.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for everyone’s time in answering this post! If anyone comes up with a source for the Pieper photo, I would certainly appreciate knowing where it came from. I’ll do some more internet searching to see if I can find it.

The gun barrel images in my document are all sourced from the internet. So, they are public domain. Though, I would very much like to give credit to those from who they originated and also extend the courtesy of asking for permission to use. My intention with this current document, is to post it on this forum, as well as a couple other internet sites. So, I have no plans to put it into print at this time.

I would eventually like to include the information in this document, into a much larger printed book on damascus gun barrels; if I can find time to write it. Permission to use images in the printed book will certainly be required. I would wish to have high quality images to include in a printed book. But, I have found it difficult to find really good quality photos of damascus gun barrels. I wonder if it would be possible to locate some of the guns with unique damascus patterns and have them professionally photographed. Another day…….

The photos of the A. Arthur gun came from Rock Island Auction. Perhaps the Pieper gun also went through their auction house and the photo originated with them. But, the Pieper image is not of good quality. Rock Island seems to have professional photographers taking photos for their use. I would have expected a better quality image of the Pieper barrel, had it been one of Rock Island’s photos.

Steve Culver
Steve Culver Knives
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know who owns that gun (or at least one that looks just like it). He posted about it here about 5 years ago. I am going to email him to see if he wants to be outed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Harvesting images from a Public Domain internet or social media site is a delicate issue.
Public Domain
https://www.teachingcopyright.org/handout/public-domain-faq.html

Non-commercial use on a personal website should not be a problem unless, as Bro. Walt implied, the image is copyrighted.
The permission needs to come from the “owner” of the image, but asking the owner of the gun for permission would be prudent.
There is legal risk if any of us want to publish the image in a hard form, or on a commercial website
https://www.broadcastlawblog.com/2016/10...al-media-sites/
http://www.stockphotorights.com/faq/

Of course, anyone can sue anyone in a civil action. This is my disclaimer on the DamascusKnowledge site, which affords no protection
"Some of the pictures which appear originated on internet discussion forums and firearm auction sites. Attribution has been made when possible, but we will remove any image if notified that the use thereof is a violation of Copyright or Intellectual Property restrictions."

Many of those who have shared images with me specifically asked NOT be have an attribution

Possibly the current owner would be so gracious as to provide Bro. Steve with full size high resolution images?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.