May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Borderbill, Guy Ave, 1 invisible), 640 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,541
Posts546,047
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

What some sleuthing & it isn't even 5 o'clock pm(Zulu). I was confused on the matter & thought we were looking @ the origin of the term Hubert(Bishop).....

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the topic split three ways:
1) Saint Hubert BLE 16 ga French retailed gun, clearly Belgian-made
2) A nicely made over under from Belgium. The barrels are marked "A Saint Hubert Paris" and where that might come from.
2) And the patron saint of Hunters...witness the Saint Hubert club in Paris the morphed into the French political party of hunters and fishers.

Keep up Raimey....have another coffee...it's already 4:00 PM here.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm ramping up Argo, but with mate as coffee seems to develop kidney stones stresses my plumbing. My hope is that Sankt Nic stops by your Zulu + 1 position.

na zdravje,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,, the over/under has the 1935 date code of "N". I noticed, too, that the A Saint Hubert-------- and Belgique were applied or engraved after the barrels were blued.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Belgian barrels being marketed in Paris on a Paris gun? Say it isn't so. Reminds me of the Didier Drevet article he wrote for Saint Etienne newspaper in 1878 on his visit to the Parisian Universal Exposition (translated in the Dating Early French Shotgun line):

Without wanting to diminish the merits of the house of Leopold Bernard, one must recognize that he is operating at an advantage because of his location.

For a long time his manufactures were encourgesd and supported by the Parisian gunmakers, who needed to have a prestigious barrel from Paris in order to have the rest of the gun which was made abroad accepted.

Its true that the beautiful movement of egos was close to being extinguished because most of the long guns which I was given to look at in the display cases of the Parisian exposition were mounted with Belgian barrels and even barrels that were decidedly mediocre.

I visited in detail two of the display cases. I will abstain from citing the name of the two exhibiters, but I picked up ours and the brand names of the barrels and I could, if necessary, justify what im going to say in advance.

In spite of the long guns which were in the two display cases, I only found one barrel legally proof-marked and it was from Liege.

All the others were without a brand name, and of such of those I figure that six of the barrels were Belgian made.

Its true to say that there is not a proof house in Paris. The government has not judged it necessary to establish one because there is not a single maker of barrels in Paris. It is this state of affairs which facilitates fraud and which I brought to the attention of the Paris Exposition. One can bring in barrels from Liege which have not been proofed; One can decorate them with a proper mark/name and one can then babtise them as Paris barrels. I know very well that M. Leopold Bernard, who is careful about his reputation and who, decidedly sells very expensive products, but without submitting his barrels to a serious proof test.

But as for the gun makers who buy these barrels without a proof mark abroad why would they do it differently?

In any case its not legal neither for one method or another. There cannot be two laws in France, one for Paris, the other for St-Etienne.

Last edited by Argo44; 12/17/17 12:43 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good stuff, Argo, thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Has anyone taken one of these Belgium shotguns apart to see if there is a mark, a stamp, or initials someplace inside the action that would at least steer us in the direction of a builder's name?

The retailer had to have an invoice or mailed a check to somebody.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, I doubt that your gun is a Frenchie with Belgian barrels. I've seen too many Belgian OU's that looked pretty much like twins to that one. Plenty of Belgian-made guns (from the ground up) sold by gun shops in Paris.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, of course not a French made gun . It has full Belgian proofs from 1935 and the only French marks are put on the gun after the final finishes have been applied. Really a nicely finished gun with an unusual, to me, flat {narrow] receiver , not much wider than the breech.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 12/18/17 05:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Narrow but deep. More or less the Merkel design with some changes, but incorporating the 3 piece forend. Seems OU's these days have gone the other direction: shallow but wide.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.