Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
WBLDon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looking for some load information for a .350 Griffin & Howe Magnum, also referred to as a .35 G&H Mag. I recently picked up a Belgian double rifle (about 1930's Vintage) in this caliber and have found information available on load data are slim to non-existent so I thought I would turn to the folks here to see if anyone could shed some light...

I am hoping to find a load for 200 & 220 gr. jacketed round nose bullets as well as something light like 158 gr jacketed (handgun bullets) for plinking loads (I know this may/will cause a regulation problem) for folks that are recoil sensitive like smaller shooters..

I did look at Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions and they are showing 88.0 grains of IMR 4350 with a 250 grain bullet at 3,000+ FPS which seems a bit hot even though they are sighting PO Ackley as the source.

Thanks very much for any help or direction you can offer...
WBLDon

Last edited by WBLDon; 12/03/17 01:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/77973-Reloading-Obsolete-Cartridges

https://www.loaddata.com/Cartridge/350-Griffin-Howe-Magnum-350-GH-Magnum/7893

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/4445-350-Griffin-amp-Howe

Since the 350 is the 300 H&H necked up to a 35 cal bullet, or a 375 H&H necked down to 35 caliber,
it should be safe to use reloading data for the 300 H&H with
the same bullet weight, you will get a bit less velocity and a faster pressure drop.

Short mention in Sharpe's "Complete Guide" page 394
using 15 1/2 powder

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 12/03/17 11:55 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

WblDon, I highly doubt that your rifle was originally chambered for this caliber but more than likely for the .35Win or possibly a 9x57R like species.
I think that the conclusion I had from the proof marks posted on GB (IIRC) showed just that.
The .350 G&H is likely running at a considerable higher pressure than the .35Win.
Please make sure that the gun is safe before pulling the trigger.
Kindest regards,
WC-

WBLDon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

WildCattle,

Thanks for the input. Not sure about it being originally chambered in 35 Winchester as the rim on the 35 Win is bigger than that of the .350 G&H and the gun is set up with auto ejectors designed for a rimless cartridge rather than a rimmmed cartridge like the 35 Win or 9X57R. Also I believe the 9X57R has a .354 rather than .358 bore diameter. Again this is all speculation on my part. It is my understanding the rifle was built in the 1930's which would be the proper time frame for the .350 G&H.

Also, I am not sure what you mean by the proof marks posted on GB (IIRC), can you further explain. I purchased the gun from an individual so I am not sure we are talking the same gun.

Skeettx, Thanks for the links I have reviewed this I am still looking for some additional load information.

Again thank you folks for the input.

WBLDon

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rimmed cartridge extractors can be converted to belted cartridge extractors and chambers can be sleeved.
I am almost sure that the gun was for sale on GB circa a year ago.
I asked the question re: chambering to the seller and he never answered me so I passed.
If you could post a picture of the flats, we would know for sure.
Best regards,
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you search Google using ".350 Griffin and Howe" you'll find a number of discussions regarding loads which should give you enough information to get started.

Were this rifle mine, I'd pick a current .35 caliber cartridge with slightly less capacity, use starting loads for that cartridge and work my way up to a level that I was comfortable with given the design of the rifle. If it regulates, you've definitely found the place to stop even if you could obtain additional velocity with more powder.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.