May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hammergun, susjwp, HalfaDouble, Jerry G, 1 invisible), 197 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,186
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
gnappi #497444 12/09/17 12:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I learned to shoot on a DT gun and much prefer it over a ST. But finding a modern gun capable of shooting steel shot with DT is very difficult. It seems that even the Turkish guns mostly come with ST. I have read that the Beretta 486 is available with DT, but I am yet to see one. I think they are mythical. I don't like the rib on them anyway.

gnappi #497459 12/09/17 02:02 PM
gnappi Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Given that I'm considered a odd bird of sorts because I often use DT's at the range I'm a bit surprised on one hand at the number of replies to the thread, on the other what other type of users would a site called "double gun" be expected to have? :-)

I have and have had had many "modern" O/U's, pumps, and automatics for shotgun sports and for certain the logic of DT's where the "presentation" is unknown DT's are a real advantage. Try and tell that to a younger crowd!

I grew up with an old Savage (IIRC?) bolt action 20 gauge that had a wide choke and I always wished I could get a double with DT's. Those cool pics on the covers of mags with guys in the field with their dogs and SxS shotguns just hit home for me.

When my first DT equipped came along (the Fabarm) I sent it to my Dad in New York and he used it for turkey, after he passed I got it back.

The good news for users of DT's prices are very good for buyers.

Many comments above could use a reply but the one from B.Dudley is striking, "It makes you wonder how many people actually use the selector in the field on the fly" Personally I don't think many are THAT good to use the selector, crap, many kids are now using a high gun mount because they can't use a field mount and NEED that time to make the shot, use a selector? I personally don't see it happening. So many now use automatics that pumps and older double guns are at the ranges I go to getting rare.

And Canvasback, I appreciate your signature "Message to Garcia" what was then is still today.

Last edited by gnappi; 12/09/17 02:08 PM.

Regards,

Gary

"What you get for free has no value"
gnappi #497464 12/09/17 02:28 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Single, double, makes no difference to me.

gnappi #497465 12/09/17 02:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

This comes up every so often, and the passionate dissertations in favor of one style over another can be quite amusing.

They're your guns, your targets, your birds. Do as you please. Just don't preach to me that your preference is the one and only true and traditional way and stick your nose up in the air because what others do is so obviously inferior.

I don't give a rat's ass. I shoot them all, equally well or poorly as your perspective may be. They are all fun.

What I admire in a shooter is the ability to pick any gun off the rack, adapt to it, shoot it well, and not [censored] about fit, triggers, mid beads, glow worms, recoil pads, screw in choke tubes, swamped or raised ribs, barrels side by side or stacked, jam-o-matic, trombone, or the patent number.

Now I'm not saying I don't do any of the above, it's just that I find the ability to shoot anything that comes down the pike admirable. With me it's a work constantly in progress, but I do strive. Variety is half the fun.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
gnappi #497471 12/09/17 02:55 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

all but one pf my shotguns are double triggers and all are sxs

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
gnappi Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
This comes up every so often, and the passionate dissertations in favor of one style over another can be quite amusing.

They're your guns, your targets, your birds. Do as you please. Just don't preach to me that your preference is the one and only true and traditional way and stick your nose up in the air because what others do is so obviously inferior.

Gads, what 's bugging you? Not once did I read a preachy account, unless YOU took it that way, jeez lighten up?

Regards,

Gary

gnappi #497483 12/09/17 04:38 PM
gnappi Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

BTW, "observing" another shooters preference, and mentioning it is not preachy, it's an observation.

Regards,

Gary

gnappi #497485 12/09/17 04:44 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geezo!

gnappi #497535 12/09/17 08:41 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps I unloaded both barrels through the muzzle a bit hastily.

That was intended as a preemptive strike, not a reflection of this particular thread, which however is just a continuation of an ongoing discussion.

Double triggers are fine. As is a single trigger.

Start 'low gun' if you wish, another ongoing debate. Skeet isn't bird hunting, and even a proper 'low gun' hold approximates an ideal starting position not encountered frequently afield. Of course, birds don't start at 50 mph either nor do they fly a predetermined path.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.