May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Gunning Bird, Marks_21, eeb, 2 invisible), 1,011 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,544
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

You would need to locate actual cylinder bore guns too.

Interchangeable choke guns with tubes marker 'cylinder' are not.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: volleyfire
RocketMan
Referring back to something mentioned in a previous post:
Several experienced shooters
have told me that a cylinder bore 410 had a longer killing range than a cylinder bore 12 gauge. I never tested it, but I take it from your computations they were wrong.

With all due respect to experience and past experimenters, I am skeptical of data pre-Jones. His results clearly show that "eye ball integration" of one to a few patterns is unlikely to produce a true result. In past experimenters defense, the computational tools were simply not available. Shotgun patterns are, by nature, complex and difficult to properly analyze. Jones has gifted us the tools. We all need to use them.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan

Several experienced shooters have told me that a cylinder bore 410 had a longer killing range than a cylinder bore 12 gauge. I never tested it, but I take it from your computations they were wrong.

I would ask them to prove it.

SRH

I would ask anyone claiming anything about shotgun patterns to "prove it" with a 10 pattern data set run through Shotgun Insights.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan

Several experienced shooters have told me that a cylinder bore 410 had a longer killing range than a cylinder bore 12 gauge. I never tested it, but I take it from your computations they were wrong.

I would ask them to prove it.

SRH

Looking at both cartridges next to one another it's hard to imagine that .410 of equal choke constriction would have longer killing range than even short cased 12ga gun. If one is interested in long range killing and is lucky enough to own modern 12ga I would look at HeviShot load with 7&1/2 size pellets. I believe it is made for upland hunters in mind. The English claimed patters were great longer range. They attributed that to irregular shape of pellets.

Sidelock
Sidelock

An explanation as to why these misshapen pellets pattern so well is unlikely to be forthcoming frown

Rumor is that Winchester Hex-shot didn't prove to be magic as was claimed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

RocketMan
You are the guy with the golden pencil. We all rely on your computations as a firm starting point.

I think some of these questions relate to the possibility that what goes on in the gun before it gets to the choke determines a degree of the tightness of the pattern.

Someone mentioned the fact that it was commonly believed by earlier generations that a short chamber increased the tightness of patterns in trap guns. I think that is largely disputed, but the owners of those guns were not easily convinced. How do you feel about that?

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is what Bro. Compton said, which I totally do not understand

p. 129 The other variable which can be altered in the test barrel to change the internal ballistics is the chamber length. In Table 3.10 the standard deviation and pellet counts at 40 yards are given for a 36g load of #4 lead shot loaded into a 2 3/4” cartridge cases which were fired through a selection of chambers lengths. The averaged results show a definite alteration to the lateral dispersion of the shot cloud when using the wrong chamber length. The tighter pattern generated by 2 1/2” chamber length may be caused by the restrictive crimp opening acting like an internal choke.

OK Bro. Don; you're on wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
Choke works thusly:

Upon bore exit, a shot column will disperse due to aerodynamic effects.

With a cylinder bore (no choke), the drag acts on a wide front of pellets the diameter of the bore. The pictures show radial velocity starting shortly after muzzle exit. The classic 'mushroom'. Dispersion is fairly rapid as the front pellets slow and are pushed to the side by the rear ones.

With a choke, the 'nozzle effect' causes a speed differential, shown as elongation in the pretty pictures. The column is stretched out, and aero forces don't immediately jam pellets to the side as they do with a simple cylinder.

And that's about it.

The WS-1, the Tula, and the Beretta skeet chokes have the interior profile of a converging-diverging nozzle and undoubtedly add an outward radial vector by design.

Inward vector effect is controversial, to say the least.

How did I do, prof?

Better than most for sure. A agree with your first and second paragraphs. Not so sure about the second but I'm not sure what differential" is in reference to - all the shot before it reaches the choke or some of the shot in the choke (the periphery vs the center)? Do you avhe a diagram of the WS-1, Tula, or Beretta skeet chokes?

Seems like folks are arguing for Venturi like effects and claiming a choke works like a de Laval nozzle. I'm not at all sure I buy that, but I see where you are coming from. However, Venturis and de Lavel nozzles are all about the speed of gases or at least fluids. And not about radial dispersion at all. In fact, in the case of the de Lavel nozzle, radial dispersion is to be avoided (so as to generate thrust). But anyway, I'm following along. I just don't see the first principles here working to create the radial spread of the patterns that, undeniably, happen.

Just as a thought experiment considering fluid dynamics (which may or may not be relevant), take your common garden hose. Cut the coupler off the end and run the water on high. What happens? You get a long, relatively solid, stream of water about the size of the inner diameter of the hose for quite a distance before it breaks up. Sort of a full-choke type of pattern, if you will.

Now, put a constriction on the end. A reducing coupling - this acts as a choke. Water comes out faster of course (Venturi), but it also spreads much wider - much more like a cylinder choke in comparison to the first example with no constriction. Clearly, speed isn't everything. In this case, the constriction has exactly the opposite effect as the shotgun choke. But the Venturi principle is preserved, of course, because physics did not go on vacation.

Finally, into that reducing coupling, screw a 28" straight walled tube that is, let's say, 3/4 the diameter of the original hose. Turn the water back on. Now you get a solid stream like the first example, but it is going faster and further. Again, it looks like a full choke but it is, in fact, a cylinder choke, now on a smaller bore barrel.

So these three experiments seem to work exactly opposite of what happens in a shotgun choke. We have all done the hose experiment just fixing up the gardening equipment every spring. And we all have shotguns that we have patterned with different chokes. Clearly, different things happen in each. I am not so sure I trust fluid dynamics to tell me much of anything about chokes in guns. I trust it pretty well in garden hoses.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, the experimental data is simply being misinterpreted on the short chamber comment. He's putting forth one theory, which cannot be correct because of the constant acceleration in the bore.

We're talking hundreds of G's here. No pellets are going to fly ahead of the end of the shot stack while in the first part of the bore. The shot column does transition from cartridge diameter to bore diameter, but it enters the choke section as a cylinder.

The most likely answer to his observed increase in pattern density, and indeed the only possible one, is that the shell mouth interference distorted the spherical shape of the rather large (#4) pellets less than the control load in a standard length chamber.

The odd shape pellets that pattern so tightly demonstrate the predominance of aerodynamic effects on shot dispersal. Those pellets quickly stabilize in flight with the projections acting as fletching on an arrow. They don't tumble constantly like the scrubbed lead pellets do that have flat sides.

Brent, as I've tried to explain it's aerodynamic forces that spread a shot cloud. The speed differential I refer to is pellet to pellet speed difference. All the shot is not accelerated to the same velocity by the choke. The leading pellets are going faster, and retain that differential for a good distance as evidenced by the continuing lengthening of the shot stream as shown in the photos. Even with the increased drag on the leading pellets and the following ones flying in their 'draft' it takes quite a bit of travel for the dispersal to equal what a cylinder choke shot cloud looks like at a shorter range.

Profiles of common skeet chokes are available on the interweb.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
....During choke constriction passage, the pellets are rearranging themselves further forward, which means higher velocity. The instantaneous velocity and directions at muzzle exit (forward and sideways) predict the ballistic trajectory for flight in a zero gravity vacuum. Aerodynamic forces and gravity alter said trajectory in reality.

Zero choke (cyl bore) pellets do not experience the acceleration and pressure drop as above. Therefore, the front row of pellets are encountering aerodynamic drag while the trailing pellets are still at muzzle velocity. The cyl load experiences considerable pellet to pellet jostling at muzzle exit. Sideways velocities gained from this jostling will remain with the pellets all the way out....

Just asking. If choke causes elongated stringing of the shot column in flight, thus a higher velocity for the pellets on the leading edge. Assuming spheres in good condition, why doesn't trailing shot in the column close in on the lead shot due to encountering less air resistance. And second, due to not having rotational stability of rifling, why doesn't the turbulence left by the lead shot not cause the trailing shot, in good spherical condition, to 'knuckle ball' out of the column by likely random lateral forces?

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.