April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (RWG, SKB, 2 invisible), 982 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,105
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

.300 Sherwood
140 gr (9 g) 1,400 ft/s (430 m/s) 610 ftlbf (830 J)

Might be a very small deer round, at very reasonable ranges. Kind of an in between cartridge. Bit too much for small game, not enough for deer. Nice looking set, which I suspect the new owner would find something to shoot with it.

Stan, if you buy that your Hammer Gun will funds will be gone for this year. Cruising the internet has side tracked me more than once. A computer is a very dangerous place to be sometimes.

Right now I am resisting bidding on another gun at Holt's Auction. Don't know why, it seems like every gun I bid on goes for three times the estimate and 20-30% more than my max. When you add on the cost of importing, it is a lot more expensive buying there than it was a decade ago. Still I guess I do it because I still think Christmas is real and coming not that I am sure my behavior has been up to snuff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This set has been on the block for many years, at least 3-5 IIRC. It even went to auction once.
I think the problem so far has been the asking price.

This Henry action is described by them as "Rogers". It postdates all the traditional Alex Henry invented action production. The Rogers is IMHO not quite as elegant as the Henry.
Alexander Henry was dead at the time of the switch.
As for the .300 Sherwood, it is an elongated .300 Rook, and very close in performance to the .310 Cadet. I think it was a response by WR to Greener.

Best regards,
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw that one as well. It's basically a double rook rifle. Nice but probably overpriced. It is beautiful though and I would love to have it...at a lesser price!

I've been researching the next purchase and might find it at Vegas in January. I definitely missed some interesting pieces in the last Julia's auction.

KY Jon #496596 12/03/17 03:58 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If I find that hammergun, Jon, a few pre-selected doubles will be for sale, too. But, it will be well worth it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Engraving is very important to me right along with unmessed with barrels on any purchase. If the engraving is all scroll, flowers and such , it is big turn off for me. I got to have well done critters on the receiver to make me want to spend any money at all. Getting correct looking animals & birds must be very difficult to do for some engravers, so some companies like AYA, for example, avoid them all together, hence I will never own one. They could cut this price in half and I still wouldn't buy it. Just my two cents worth.

SxS Only

Last edited by SxS Only; 12/03/17 04:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I take it you're a big fan of the Bulino engraving that the Italians do all the time?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
If I find that hammergun, Jon, a few pre-selected doubles will be for sale, too. But, it will be well worth it.

SRH

In order to keep myself from getting sidetracked I have completely convinced myself that this pretty little thing isn't regulated. Yep. Th'- th'- th'- that's my story and I'm st'- st- stickin' to it.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Problem is Stan, since it's speculation time and the original buyer leaned towards the rifle part of the package due to the stocking, I'm gonna guess inch and a half ten shot groups at a hundred yards all day long. Maybe. On the face of it, there doesn't seem much practical purpose for it, it may be a kid's gift gun.

For fun, I wouldn't mind a closer look at the engraving. It appears better done than average. I don't necessarily think ducks-n-bunnies make engraving in any way better, but there is a fair amount of not so good filler scroll around. Well done scroll with nice borders to compliment can be the perfect touch, and I think tougher to do well than a picture with scratching around it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Heck, I don't care about the .300 Sherwood (.300 Westley/.300 ExtraLong) barrels anyway. I'd prolly drive them in the ground to tie a tomato bush to. Then I'd have to rasp that cheekpiece off .............. See, I've completely convinced myself of it's uselessness.

SRH

treblig1958 #496622 12/03/17 06:07 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
I take it you're a big fan of the Bulino engraving that the Italians do all the time?

Sounds more like the pre-war German and Austrian guns...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.