April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, LeeS, Owenjj3, obsessed-with-doubles, skeettx, 1 invisible), 755 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,105
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK may be a silly question. I have been seeing "orphaned" shotgun barrels showing up on the internet and curious about the reality in them being fitted to a gun.
Example, how probable would it be to fitting English made barrels to the same maker's gun of different serial number. How would barrels by American makers work to be fitted to another gun?
My friend said that the chances are very slim you could fit these barrels to my gun with a good proper fit, what say you?

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

What gun, which barrels

I have had some snap right on,
some needing a bit of fitting
and some, no hope

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 11/28/17 06:24 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

ANY had fitted gun is going to require hand fitting of barrels to it from another gun. The amount of work varies from gun to gun. Maker to maker depends on the given makers design and their manifacturing techniques.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just because a set snaps right on does not mean they fit properly. There are several things that need to be carefully checked to determine whether they will function, and stay on face for an extended period of time. Amount of contact between the barrels and the breech face, amount of space between the barrel flats and the action flat, top lever position after closing, etc.

Fitting barrels is an extremely tedious job, not for the occasional hobbyist. It can be learned, but you should expect to pay "dues" to learn the procedure. If, and I mean if, you can find a gunsmith that has this mastered, don't bother with trying to learn yourself. Pay a master to do it. You will be way ahead. JMO, YMMV.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pay your dues in the gun collecting world and you will succeed in your attempt to fit orphan barrels. Otherwise, you will fail miserably and waste much of your money spent on "extra barrels".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have bought a lot of orphaned barrels over the years. Sometimes you get lucky and fitting them takes an hour or two. Sometimes it takes forever and sometimes you just can't get them to work. I had a set of Lefever barrels seven digits off in serial number that just would not go on at all. So it is a crap shoot and Stan is right if the gun is a decent gun just let someone else do it for you because you can screw them up such that they will never fit anything worth a darn.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got a set of 32" Fox barrels at a gunsmith having them fitted to a 30" Sterly Ejector gun, as we speak. They had been previously "fitted", and I use that term loosely, by a very well known doublegunsmith who screwed them up so badly that another well known Fox gunsmith really didn't want to mess with them. He said I'd be so upside down on them by the time he welded the hook and redid the job that he wouldn't advise it. This was a set of brand new Fox barrels that had never been fitted to a gun at the factory. Completed barrels, just never blued or fitted to an action. Was I sick when I saw how the first guy had botched the job? You could say that, yeah. Point?.................not everybody who hangs a GUNSMITH shingle out can fit barrels to a double, properly.

As eightbore mentioned, this is another way we "pay our dues", sadly.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 11/28/17 09:30 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

and then there is the forend fit issue...ideally, orphan barrels will include the forend...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

This discussion is relevant to my interests . . .

The A grade Fox I bought at Tulsa included an extra set of barrels that the seller said fit the gun (they really don't). I don't know what I'm ever going to do with them. I'm regretting not trying to negotiate a better price WITHOUT the extra barrels. Oh well, maybe I'll run into a Fox with a set of blown barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sell them. Usually any decent barrel set is worth at least a couple hundred to someone.

B.Dudley
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.