April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (gunman), 389 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,088
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#495730 11/24/17 08:17 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Still trying to get my bearings on 1903 sporters, was interested in this but wasn't willing to pay to win without being sure. I thought there were some things that looked less than first rate, did I miss something?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/718534736

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know if you missed something or not but it was a pretty good looking rifle. I like the butt plate does anyone know the vintage of that plate?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suspect we will see more information and some pictures once the winner receives it. He is good about sharing. Buttplate, sight and general styling are all interesting. I have this sinking feeling in my gut that we all overlooked a gem.

Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The buttplate also attracted me. At first I thought there was a white line spacer under the grip cap but then realized it was all metal, perhaps German silver.

The entire gun has a lovely patina, especially the stock which looks like fine old furniture. Nice figure in the butt also.

Ah well, hopefully we'll learn more.

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is something odd about picture 27 of 43, is there
a device installed to take the slack out of the trigger?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sear cut to remove 2 stage pull?

Nice wood/metal fit from what I can see.
A couple chips at the rear of the tang. Looks like a reinforcement through the stock under the front ring and plugged. Maybe added later.

The stock cut for the action cut-off looks some what crudely done when compared to the rest of the stock work. Perhaps that bit was done by someone else wanting the cut-off to work instead of just leaving it in the up position.

Has the bbl been turned down at the breech to remove the rear sight spine cut?,,can't really see that in the pics.

The swivels don't look 'period' to me, more like something from the 60's/70's,,but that may just be my take and being uninformed.

Love the long slide Lyman.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The inletting for the magazine cutoff bothered me also.

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sold $710. I like it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone care to share images of how the cut for a magazine cutoff should be done? I'm unsure what a good one looks like when done correctly?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Vall
Anyone care to share images of how the cut for a magazine cutoff should be done? I'm unsure what a good one looks like when done correctly?

Great question, I think this is one of the better examples.

look at picture 2

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm the one who got the rifle, I also thought the cut for the cut-off was rather crude and the swivels will have to be replaced with more period style super grade width studs. The BP may be an early Rem type from the M8/M81 era.

I liked the long staff Lyman 48 but mainly I think the orig rifle was a 1920 NM rifle based on the serial number falling in the Mk 1 series and the arsenal polished bolt. I have 2 or 3 other 1920 NM sporters one of which was Michaels S-man.

I may have paid a bit too much but since I was skunked at Tulsa for any '03 sporters I was in a real "need" to buy something. Collecting really is a sickness you know!

Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a very nice rifle and I thought the price a great buy!
Congrats~~~

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I now have the rifle in hand but the seller hasn't responded to my request if he knew any history of the rifle. I have sent Fred some photos to post for me. I had a pair of swivel studs for the old hook and eye type swivels and have them added to the stock. The PG cap looks like it might have the German silver part cast around the top blued steel part. I didn't get a photo of the barrel shank where the spline was filled because you can't see the fill but the shank is very close to the same diameter as standard so it couldn't have been reduced to remove the spline cut. There is nothing in the wood hidden under the metal parts to indicate who might have been the gunsmith nor anything marked in the metal.
Dan

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any more information you can share about the Buttplate? Is it from an old Remington
Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are the images I received from Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

LRF,
I don't know about the BP, I will clean up the inside and take some photos tomorrow and have Fred post them. I don't know what might identify it as Rem if that's what it is.
Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

LRF, if you are thinking about the Remington buttplate that had the tang on the bottom, I don't think this was one. They didn't have a widow's peak on top and were just serrated across the butt. The lower tang was longer, but could have been modified. This is a good example of the buttplate I am talking about and is like the ones I have

Looks like another nice rifle landed in your stable Dan. I hope you find out more about it. Didn't you get another rifle not long ago that had cast German Silver on the grip cap? If so any similarity?

Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I actually wasn't thinking of anything. Someone else thought it was a Remington earlier in the thread. I am just asking if anyone had ever seen a similar before.

Sidelock
Sidelock

more pictures from Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

LRF,
I was the one who thought it might be Rem but now I see it sure isn't.
Thaine,
I think you might be talking about the German done '03 I got at RIA and I don't think there is any similarity with this PG cap. I will have to go find that one to make sure.
That black stuff on the inside of the BP won't come off but it doesn't appear to have any marking on it.
Dan

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan,
It certainly is an interesting BP and very nice. I think you got yourself a keeper in that rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thaine, I found the rifle and it doesn't have a PG anything like this one, no German silver at all but the rifle has real silver inlays in the wood. I can't find any of my rifles with a PG cap made from German silver.
Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan, Thanks for looking. My memory gets foggy now and then. It might not have been yours, I sure couldn't find it when I went back through your posts. I'm pretty sure someone had one and hopefully they will see this and chime in.

Regardless, that is a nice looking rifle and another good snag.

Thaine

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Vall

This is how Griffin & Howe did it, back in the '30's. No need for a cut off in a sporting rifle (or a military rifle for that matter).

Sidelock
Sidelock

I got a very little bit of history on the rifle. It came from an estate of a retired police officer who moved from CA to OR about 20 years ago after retiring. Don't know how long he owned it but it may be a CA built rifle but that's a wild assumption.
Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan, I think you could attribute that one to Steve Meunier. There are several features I see that are spot on. Can we see the receiver inleting?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Newton, what do you see that looks like Steve Meunier?

I sure don't see it

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan,
I'll send some photos of the inletting to Fred for posting. At show and tell on Wed we were able to see the fill of the barrel spline with a flashlight which shows a slightly different color but it would never show in a photo. Whoever did it did a really good job of filling the spline.
Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

pictures of inletting

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred,
Whats up here you posted the same pics in two different threads. Are the pics a MN or 1903? Or am I missing something here?

LRF #498245 12/16/17 02:13 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It was a long year and a mistake on my part that I've now corrected.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, to me the most noticed feature is how flat sided it is, then the swept back grip, grip cap angle, same toe line, and the dip in the forend between the front swivel and shnable. Yes the drop at heel is less and the comb fluted but those are in my opinion improved features of a later built stock.
We really need someone here to post pics of the muenier rifle in Michaels post for comparison to Dans . I can't do it from my end.
Dan, thanks for getting the inlet pics to Fred, and Fred for posting. I wanted to know if the maker inlet for the receiver lungs. I see they are not, same as the Muenier stock I have in hand.
BTW in Michaels book/post he had mentioned that the buttplate could be a clue to the maker. Sorry to report the buttplate is a dead end. An identical plate came up on eBay several months back, it is from a Belgium made sxs that could be bought through a mail order catalogue. It was named S. Holt, probably to sound like a S. Colt. There were others with names like Westly Rikards, Hollard & Hollard.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am always amazed at how you guys see details like this It tells me I'm out of my depth, but then, I'm no serious collection. However, in this case, I was thinking there is/was only one Steven Meunier rifle known. And that was the one I bought from Amoskeague's auction of Michael's rifles. And it is the one that self-destructed on me. I don't have a picture of it handy other than the shrapnel parts. Amoskeague took Auction #104 down, so I can't link to those pictures, but it is in Michael's book. Anyhow, I just don't see the connection but I'll look at it them again. Maybe I can get the hang of this someday.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael's post on the Meunier.

Some similarities. My thanks to Dan and Fred both for sharing this.

Thaine

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thaine,
Can you rescue the photos from Michael's thread so we can see them?
Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is this what you want to see

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks James, I'm in Nashville right now and have been out of pocket to load those.

Thaine

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: james-l
Is this what you want to see

Yup, that was her.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love that buttplate, wonder if it is a 1 off.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: james-l
I love that buttplate, wonder if it is a 1 off.

Which one? The one that Dan won off of gunbroker? If so, I think it is a one-off. The checkering looks like it was done by hand with a checkering file. On the other hand, the buttplate on the rifle Michael used to own, was probably purchased. I saw one similar to that on ebay a few months ago. I wish I would have bought it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been asked to post this picture.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Obvious not a 1 off, still a neat buttplate.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.