April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KY Jon, bushveld, Stanton Hillis, 1 invisible), 397 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,799
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm the one who got the rifle, I also thought the cut for the cut-off was rather crude and the swivels will have to be replaced with more period style super grade width studs. The BP may be an early Rem type from the M8/M81 era.

I liked the long staff Lyman 48 but mainly I think the orig rifle was a 1920 NM rifle based on the serial number falling in the Mk 1 series and the arsenal polished bolt. I have 2 or 3 other 1920 NM sporters one of which was Michaels S-man.

I may have paid a bit too much but since I was skunked at Tulsa for any '03 sporters I was in a real "need" to buy something. Collecting really is a sickness you know!

Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a very nice rifle and I thought the price a great buy!
Congrats~~~

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I now have the rifle in hand but the seller hasn't responded to my request if he knew any history of the rifle. I have sent Fred some photos to post for me. I had a pair of swivel studs for the old hook and eye type swivels and have them added to the stock. The PG cap looks like it might have the German silver part cast around the top blued steel part. I didn't get a photo of the barrel shank where the spline was filled because you can't see the fill but the shank is very close to the same diameter as standard so it couldn't have been reduced to remove the spline cut. There is nothing in the wood hidden under the metal parts to indicate who might have been the gunsmith nor anything marked in the metal.
Dan

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any more information you can share about the Buttplate? Is it from an old Remington
Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are the images I received from Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

LRF,
I don't know about the BP, I will clean up the inside and take some photos tomorrow and have Fred post them. I don't know what might identify it as Rem if that's what it is.
Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

LRF, if you are thinking about the Remington buttplate that had the tang on the bottom, I don't think this was one. They didn't have a widow's peak on top and were just serrated across the butt. The lower tang was longer, but could have been modified. This is a good example of the buttplate I am talking about and is like the ones I have

Looks like another nice rifle landed in your stable Dan. I hope you find out more about it. Didn't you get another rifle not long ago that had cast German Silver on the grip cap? If so any similarity?

Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I actually wasn't thinking of anything. Someone else thought it was a Remington earlier in the thread. I am just asking if anyone had ever seen a similar before.

Sidelock
Sidelock

more pictures from Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

LRF,
I was the one who thought it might be Rem but now I see it sure isn't.
Thaine,
I think you might be talking about the German done '03 I got at RIA and I don't think there is any similarity with this PG cap. I will have to go find that one to make sure.
That black stuff on the inside of the BP won't come off but it doesn't appear to have any marking on it.
Dan

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.