April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Borderbill, Dave Weber, Longknife, SKB), 462 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,803
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This happens plenty of times:
Not to me but other dealers too:

Guy ask what is your best price and I say to him I will listen to your best offer.

That ends that conversation, always afraid to make a real offer
We know in the trade that they are not serious

John

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gun shows are the worst for this. You MUST price an item with room in it, knowing that no one is going to pay asking price, if they buy at all.

B.Dudley
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

We've had this conversation before. Customers are the worst part about retail sales. The John Clees' character, a small hotel owner on the English coast in the Brit Com Fawlty Towers, complained that the guests interfered with his ability to run the hotel. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

John periodically brings this up. It has been his m.o. for years. For someone in the retail business, you sure have a lot of complaints about your potential customers, John.

Are you only interested in making conversation with people who spend money in your business? I was raised in a retail business. My Dad supported our family by operating a very large country store, a general merchandise type of business. I worked in there as a kid, and a teenager, and my Dad drilled into me that the customer is always right. I did not agree with him at the time, but understand now what he meant. He truly enjoyed making small talk with those who came in, even if they only bought a Coke and a pack of peanuts. He never treated tire-kickers any differently than the best customers he had. And, he would have never gone on the internet to XXXXX about them.

You have done no less than convince me I would likely not enjoy browsing in your shop. I might aggravate you if I didn't spend a wad.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm pretty sure most people with a job have levels of discretionary spending.
Once you cross a certain income threshold, I don't think men do much consulting with the missus'.

Tire kicking is all part of the process, a retailer needs to ask good, clarifying questions, but ultimately, let the customer BUY don't keep trying to Sell them.

And, FWIW, vent here, but NEVER in front of the prospect.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, you could tell your customer, "Bring in your wife and we'll dicker!" customers really love that approach.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ, are we not prospects for someone who advertises on DGJ?

SRH

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Many shoppers have very little intention of buying. It's money, it's lack of knowledge or wrong information they are married to. Some don't even know half of what they think they do. It's entertainment to them. An education. Doesn't bother me. Information can be shared and I don't mind because I learn things while listening to others. Sometimes I learn I know a lot more than they do and sometimes I learn I need to learn more. You can learn as a buyer or seller if you keep your mind open as I have learned several times.

Many years ago I had a friend who was a very serious collector of Winchester model 70's. At the time I had close to 50 and his collection made mine look like nothing. He was looking at mine for upgrades or missing items. Nothing met his needs so he was a buyer who bought nothing. He was collection in two directions, as high condition as he could get and one of every variation which becomes kind of the quest for the holy grail. His holy grail was a combination of caliber and features that they made about 250 total of. As you know rifle shooters are known to rebarrel or rechamber guns if they want to. This caliber was a bit of a dog but had been replaced by one of the sexy semi wildcats in the day. So many of that 250 were gone. He figured there might be 50 total left. I learned from him I was a semi educated collector but also how to think and what to look for.

I walked into a small gun shop in Delaware that had the holy grail sitting on the rack. Price was very low. Condition extremely good. Without smacking my lips I asked to examine the gun. Shop owner told me the typical one owner story which probably was true. Shot very little because Delaware is a shotgun only deer state. Mentioned if it was a more popular cartridge it be worth more. That caliber was not even listed in his bluebook. All information he knew which was honest but mostly wrong. If I had not been previously educated I would have put it back on the rack instead of handing over the $325.00 price after dickering him down from $350.00. You got to dicker on principle sometimes.

I sold it a few years later to my educational friend for over five grand after a short period dickering. Form must be observed. It was his holy grail and both of us would never owned it unless he took time to educate me things I thought I knew but did not. He died a couple years later and I guess his collection was quietly sold off. Never heard of that gun hitting the open market or even the rest of his collection. Who knows his widow might still own everything I've in NJ still. Wonder if she would take $325.00 for it today. I doubt she hunts deer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd love to buy one of your beautiful Arrieta's John but I just don't do enough upland game hunting anymore to justify the purchase.

Heck my double sees more deer hunting than upland game hunting anymore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.