May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Roundsworth, Ted Schefelbein, Jem Finch), 802 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,400
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bushmaster, I can understand your position, and I respect it. A few years ago I walked out to pick up a green-wing teal I'd shot in Canada. The little thing was still alive and I had to kill it.

At that moment I was thunderstruck with remorse and the same feelings about killing you are experiencing. Thankfully, I got over it...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

As I close in on the final chapter of life, I can understand the ambivalence some may have of killing versus not killing. I haven't reached that point, but others I know have. One man, who closed out the final chapter, stopped shooting ducks, but still loved the trappings of the sport. He would accompany shooters in the blind, but for personal reasons, couldn't and wouldn't shoot them. He would, however, eat them. Another friend will no longer hunt ducks, but enjoys hunting other bird species. It would be easy for some to call it hypocrisy, but I don't. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

As a youngster I had the opportunity to shoot a lot of game and I took advantage of it frequently. Looking back the numbers of four legged and winged creatures I shot seems staggering. I suppose the warrior instinct was the driving force of those days. But times have changed me. A gradual process I really wasn't even conscious of occurred in midlife. The elation of success taking a deer or elk began to be tempered with a sadness and increased to the point I seldom pulled the trigger, just enjoyed being out and having the opportunity. Often took a photo of a buck or bull I fooled, told him "howdy" and parted happy as can be with rifle in hand. The same has happened with birds though to a lesser extent. Ducks, geese, and cranes are safe with me around. Quail I still pursue with a passion but now I most enjoy watching the dog work, the fellowship, and the outdoors. More than anything else I enjoy standing back with gun open watching my younger hunting partner walk in on a point. Yes, over three quarters of a century has tempered me in a very comfortable way. I like it a lot.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Age has a lot to do with it. This morning, duck hunting with two friends, we were more interested in fine-tuning my Lab. Two of us never fired a shot. This afternoon, we'll be hunting from lay-out and blind in corn field, only one shooting with his grandson, the whole show for the dog. The killing is still there but I think it's tempered with more reason, stewardship, friendship, the day and the dog than when we were young. Ages 73, 77 and 86.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Even plants have life, though they don't walk, run or fly as does animals & birds. If one does not eat that which is killed, they will in a very short time be simply be dead of starvation.
I grew up on home killed chicken, pork, beef & goat meat, along with some game & fish. I still wish that I was able to survive primarily on that which I had killed myself, rather than slaughter house killed from the store.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's my little Charles Daly 12 gauge from the early 70's with original length 28" barrels. Light, lively and a bird shooting machine! Cylinder in both and perfect for flushing quail. Often my gun of choice. The non original hook on the trigger guard tang has since been removed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Having this thread get bumped back to the top is timely. I'm about to take the plunge on my first hammer gun!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

James, be careful or you will suddenly wonder why all the BLEs are in the cabinet. Recently found myself owner of a Pieper hammer gun and thought of you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Bushmaster, I can understand your position, and I respect it.

Thanks

I think people did not rag on me because I did not rag on hunting or hunters. One nice thing about being human is that you often get to make choices about how you want to enjoy the world.

That said, I am headed out to large a show in December and I might be compelled to get a hammergun.

Last edited by Bushmaster; 11/13/17 08:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope a lot of previous posters who had their photos deleted will put them back up so we can drool over them.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.