April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (gunmaker, Jtplumb, LeFusil, R. Glenz, fullandfuller, 1 invisible), 410 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,799
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Winchester blind Side, ""Square and stacked pellets"". Has any one on this board
ACTUALLY SHOT any of these non tox Steel Shot shells. if so what were the results, and what is your opinion. I see that Blind Side costs a little more than some of the other steel shot shells. Will the Stacked Square shot be more or less likely to bridge in the choke??? How will the square shot pattern at longer ranges??? I do know that you cannot shoot steel shot in any of the older doubles.. I Have a couple of shotguns that are steel shot friendly, and thought I may try some of these shot shells on waterfowl this year. What say you???
David

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my humble and rather ignorant opinion, Blind Side is a gimmick. Square pellets will never fly as well as round pellets. My brother shot these in waterfowl season for two seasons and the shots to kill ratio were high. When he switched to higher quality non-tox loads, his success increased drastically. If you're going to shoot steel, the standard Kent Fasteel is hard to beat. If you want to spend more money on shells for waterfowl, put it towards softer and better patterning/energy carrying non-tox shells like bismuth or tungsten. When one shot will drop a duck instead of 2 or 3, you'll be saving money in the long run.

Again, just my opinion and respect anyone else's...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pheasant's Forever gave me some $20.00 Gander Mt coupons, so I bought a box of Blind side and a box of Fed Black cloud w/Flight control wad.

Black cloud killed better for me.

0-30 yards no diff. That's a high % distance.
It was when I stretched a bit that I felt I got better kills with the Federals. Just an opinion of course.

Could just as easily have been my jacket thickness, or the hat I was wearing.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

And here I thought my friend "long range" was still using copper plated lead #4s and dodging the federales!! Can't dodge on that titanium hip?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Researcher, can you believe it has been almost a decade since the last time I was checked by a Federal agent duck hunting? Got checked by a state one last year. I don't see as many of them today as I use to see. I hear others who have been checked in the area or just a day before. Most of the time I rather suspect they were being watched or they should have been anyways.

I bet you the first 30 years I hunted ducks I got checked 200 times. A slow year was just once or twice. Heck, I have been checked several times, in a single day, while shooting off the Chesapeake Bay. Never got a Federal Citation for anything but it has been close a few times. Did get a State Citation for hunting Red Heads on a point I own, right next to a refuge. The State warden did not know there was still one private piece of land on that side of the river. I pulled my boat blind up into that spot and had about two thirds of a four limits of Red Heads, a couple Cans and a Black duck before they descended on us. Took half an hour to get them to just write me a citation for it. Everyone else got one as well.

Spent three hours finding and copying the land records and tax records that clearly proved I did in fact have land on that spot. Went right to their office and showed them the records. They would not just drop it. They made us go to court and then dropped it. Being a bit of a prissy a-hole I thought so I went down the the local volunteer firehouse and asked if anybody there wanted to hunt ducks. Of course half a dozen responded. Told them of my land and gave them written permission, with a map, to hunt it for the rest of the season. Explained it was only the point, on the Southern tip of the bend of the river, on the refuge side. There was a concrete marker they could tie their boat up to and that would make sure they were at the right spot. They had to be within fifty feet of that marker. I had to return to where I lived and could not hunt it anymore in the late season.

Heard later a few had big days over there and the game wardens were totally pissed because they were not only on private land but had written permission to hunt it. No one has hunted it for years but it is still there and I still pay a few dollars taxes on it. And I bet if I hunted it I'd get another have a nice day citation from either a state or federal game warden or maybe not, this time I'd just have my papers with me and give them a copy. If the wind was out of the NNW or N it was one hell of a spot for Red Heads, Blue Bills and and Cans but the river could be extremely dangerous.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the federal 3 inch 1 1/4 oz #2's. That is the cheap ones, bought a flat for $100 total Here on tax free day. I use only an extended IMod choke. I have killed many at 60 yards, pattern is roughly 3 feet at that range. In close you better be right on because the pattern is very small.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had no problems Blind Side ammunition. I think your success with the various nontoxic shot may depend on the type of shots you take.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Describe that Federal load a little better for me, Bill. I'd like to get some to pattern.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shot a box or so of them, I didn't notice any better or worse results with them. I have not patterned them though so I can't say for sure if they are better or not. Remington steel and Black Cloud work very well for me so I don't see a reason to switch

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan
I find that the Federal load with my Briley extended IMOD choke makes the best pattern of all chokes we have tried. I think the super fast loads are not patterning well and they kick the devil out of me. At $10 a box the price is lowest around and the results are great. Federal Waterfowl Load, 3 inch 12 1.25 oz of #2 steel at 1400 FPS. In my 3.5 gun the same choke will kill a goose at 80 yards with T,s. The biggest problem at that range is hitting them. T's are very big medicine.
bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.