April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Birdog), 1,046 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Greg G Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was thumbing through Monte Kennedy's checkering and carving book to get ideas for the checkering on a stock I'm working on. I noticed 3 featured stock makers that I have never heard of or seen pictures of their work, other than in Kennedy's book. Their pictured work showed they all had considerable talent, which prompted me to wonder what happened to them. Their names were John Hearn, Keith Stegall, and Edgar Warner (a student of Bob Owen according to the book). Google didn't provide much, other than their obits. Anybody here have photos or own any of their work?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith Stegall was well represented in the custom maker's section of early Gun Digests.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was talking to an older dealer at the CADA show several years ago. He had a Shelhamer Model 70 on his table and the discussion turned to stockmakers and checkering. He said John Hearn did the best checkering he had ever seen. And this while he was trying to sell me a Shelhamer rifle.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gasgunner
And this while he was trying to sell me a Shelhamer rifle.

John

And was he successful?

Pictures?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

LOL, actually my dad ended up buying that one. It is a very late Shelhamer rifle. As I recall he had Shelhamers invoice with the rifle which was dated 1962. Model 70 30-06.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several years ago I responded to an ad on Gun Broker (I think) about a Roy Dunlap Model 70 Winchester in caliber .300 H&H Improved. There were no photos included in the ad and the seller had none to send me. I finally decided to take a chance and placed a bid. It turned out to be a winner (I was the only bidder), but to give myself a little cover, I got the seller to agree to meet me to make the delivery face to face.

There is a good bit more to the story, but suffice it to say that I was pleased with my purchase. The Model 70 has a nice custom stock and the barrel was marked not only with Dunlap's name, but also the name of the maker, Bliss Titus.

The stock maker was not identified in any way, but the fact that John Hearn is featured prominently in Dunlap's book on Gunsmithing and the resemblance of the checkering patterns to Hearn's work as shown in Kennedy's book, led me to ascribe it to him. One particularly characteristic feature of Hearn's checkering was on the pistol grip, where the wraparound pattern extended from the very bottom all the way around to the other side, so that only a thin line separated one side from the other.

An additional element in the transaction was my discovery that in the late 1940's the Wimbleton 1000 yard rifle match at Camp Perry was won by a shooter using a .300 H&H Improved caliber rifle with a Bliss Titus barrel.

Last edited by xausa; 12/01/17 07:54 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.