April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Rick W, fullandfuller, Argo44, R. Glenz, JDH, Stanton Hillis), 404 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,797
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

After that left, right combo on pheasants, that Spaniard is a keeper!!!

That's a lot of gun there, she'll look even better after some TLC.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Pretty is as pretty does"--and that one done pretty good!

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a relatively old gun, from a time when the data we usually would expect to find on the barrel flats is on the barrel tubes. Here is the proof year code (red box added):

Sidelock
Sidelock

Purely FYI, Victor Sarasqueta did not found his company in 1883. It was Victors older brother, J.J. (Juan Jose) Sarasqueta that founded the gun making company in 1883. Victor went to work for his brother, J.J., circa 1887 serving a seven year apprenticeship at the shop of J.J. Sarasqueta.

Victor successfully completed that apprenticeship in 1895, and went on to found a company in 1899 in partnership with Francisco Cortaberria and Jose Urizar. This partnership lasted several years before breaking up, at which time Victor Sarasqueta opened his own company as sole proprietor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, if it isn't Kyrie the master of the magical disappearing act.

All is well if he disappeared to finish his book on Spanish shotguns that a lot of us have been hoping to see for years now.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Kyrie, I had wondered about that mark. Everything I read however, pointed to date codes on the flats or water table.

So we're talking 1933?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Fallschirmjaeger,

Congratulation on your acquisition thats one fine box lock.

1933 would be my guess. If the year proof code isnt F it would have to be F1 (1960) or F2 (1986).

We can exclude F2 as Victor Sarasqueta went out of business before 1986. The code F1 wouldnt be unreasonable, but would be stretching a bit as Greener (and Scott) cross bolts had almost completely fallen out of use by 1960.

But Im reluctant to accept F1 as there just isnt any sign of any number after the F proof year code.

Also there is this:

Ive gone through some old Sarasqueta catalogs and have found a model in an undated (but likely 1930 1940) catalog that pictures a model similar to yours (described in the catalog as a model 97).

We need to consider Trust Eibarres, as that was the retailer under whose name the gun was retailed. Looking through a 1930 1933 Trust Eibarres catalog I found a gun that is nearly identical to yours (a model 154), except that illustration shows a Scott cross bolt rather than a Greener cross bolt.

All things considered, my opinion would be a year code of F and a proof year of 1933.

With that in mind I went back through your photos and think I can see signs of considerable use, and that someone who knew what he was doing has had the action apart at some point (suggesting repair). So, in spite of the absolutely stunning cosmetic condition of the gun, I can believe it was made circa 1933 and has seen use consistent with that age.

Turning to Trust Eibarries (TE), TE was (and still is) a major ammunition manufacturer in Spain. From the very early 1900 up into the 1960s TE was also a retailer of shotguns made by a host of Spanish gun makers. TE sponsored shooting matches and was a heavy supporter of live pigeon matches. Ive owned a couple or three TE guns, and had more pass through my hands, and can say from experience you can find just about any maker sold under the TE label

Concerning the location of proof and manufacturing data, we have three periods (call them eras) during which proof/manufacturing data was found in some specific place. Most recently (beginning about 1995) proof year was moved from the barrel flats to the water table (and the year code was abandoned).

From about 1929 into the 1940s the proof year code, barrel weight, and maker mark were placed on the barrel tubes, in front of the barrel flats. Thats the case with your gun (which has the Victor Sarasqueta makers mark V.S. on the left barrel tube.

Beginning in the late 1930s the makers began to move these marks from the barrel tubes on to the water table. This was something of a slow process, with quite a bit of randomness in where what mark went on any gun by any maker at any point in time. But by circa 1950 the move was pretty much complete. This practice lasted until the mid-1990s, which is why we are so accustomed to looking on the barrel flats.

So what you have isnt just a very fine shotgun; its also a walk through the history of Spanish shotgun making and an introduction to some of the major players :-)

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kyrie,

Again, thank you for the outstanding explanation/description. I also have suspicions that the gun has been opened up. My suspicions fall more to the butt stock being a replacement. The checkering appears to be different between the PoW grip and the forend. I assume this gun was imported from Sweden and the appearance of the checkering on the grip has a very Swedish gunsmith style. Similar to that on some of my Husqvarna rifles. The wood also stands quite proud to the receiver.

Whatever the reason the action was opened up, it seems to function well, the wood is tight, and the gun balances extremely well even with the 30" barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I had an Italian made Richland Arms model 707 3" 20 gauge (My son has it now) which had what appears to be an identical concealed cross bolt. A smoke test revealed it had no contact at all thus was essentially useless. It had rather heavy double underlugs, Amply thick bolts & sidewalls in the frame. It carried the heaviest Italian Proof of the day which as I recall was listed as Superior Proof. The hunting I was doing at the time I used it mainly with standard 2 1/2 DE-1oz loads. However I felt no qualms at all about firing the heaviest 3" loads available. I think I bought one box of them just to try out but really had no use for them. I was occasionally doing a it of squirrel hunting at the time which didn't allow rifles so loaded the empties with 1 1/8 oz of #5's at about 1150 fps. These proved quite effective especially on the occasional Fox Squirrel I would run into. Bought this gun from Hester's Inc just barely prior to the 68 GCA shutting down the mail order business. Paid $135.00 for it when most places were listing it @ $179.95. Ordered it with 28" barrels (My favorite length) M/F & opened the right barrel to I/C. Weight was 6 1/4 lbs. For my use it proved to be a very useful & versatile gun. When you touched off one of those full loaded 3" maggies though you definitely knew when it went off. The milder reload was quite comfortable.
Miller/TN

Miller, I too had one of those Richland 20ga magnums. Mine came with 30" tubes. Bought it for my son, had the barrels shortened to remove choke. (Wouldn't do that if I owned the gun today.) I think Francis Sell's articles--he was touting the 3" 20 heavily back then--may have had something to do with those guns being imported. Like the OP's Spaniard, they represented very good value for the money.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.