March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am having a bit of trouble with my old worn out eyes reading the diameters. Is one barrel marked 16.o & the other 15.9 or does each barrel carry both diameter markings. If the former then the mark indicates the dia of that particular barrel & it was choked to at least .2mm (about .008") but could well be considerably more.
If the later then the smaller number would indicate bore dia at provisional proof & the larger the bore size after final finishing for definitive proof. Choke would be same as above.
Earlier Belgian proof did indicate both bore & choke diameters but this had been discontinued.
Miller/TN

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I am having a bit of trouble with my old worn out eyes reading the diameters. Is one barrel marked 16.o & the other 15.9 or does each barrel carry both diameter markings. If the former then the mark indicates the dia of that particular barrel & it was choked to at least .2mm (about .008") but could well be considerably more.
If the later then the smaller number would indicate bore dia at provisional proof & the larger the bore size after final finishing for definitive proof. Choke would be same as above.
Earlier Belgian proof did indicate both bore & choke diameters but this had been discontinued.
Miller/TN

Miller,

One barrel shows "16.0 CHOKE 15.9" and the other barrel merely states "CHOKE 15.9"

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone have any thoughts on the strange mechanism behind the ejector "hammers" on the forend? It slides forward and back.

Additionally, I have never seen this before, but in the picture of the trigger/trigger guard, you can see a small square piece of metal protruding from under the trigger guard. When I apply the safety on and off, I can see it rotate slightly so I assume it is somehow related to the safety, but it seems so strange!

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is your ejector cocking slide. On closing the slide abuts against the knuckle step and pushed the ejector tumblers back into full cock. This system is supposed to prevent cocking via the breech face and thus saves wear and tear on the face.

As you noticed though it has a rather hard feel at the start of closing and a sudden snap home once the tumblers have gone into full cock.

My SXS boxlock is Italian and has the same system. Has been trouble free for 35 years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My take on this is the barrel with 2 numbers had its bore enlarged by that 0.1 mm in finishing, the other did not. As .1 mm is about .004" this would be the enlargement. I have serious doubts this gun left the factory with 0.0/0.1 mm chokes, especially as the Belgian proof house did not normally mark Choke unless the bore had at least 0.2 mm (about .008") of choke.
I believe my original assessment is still correct & this gun left the factory with at least 0.008" of choke could be much more.
Miller/TN

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Miller,

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the explanation. I had never seen that mechanism before on any of my other guns...

Sidelock
Sidelock

fallschirmjaeger, I have a Belgian gun very similar to yours, also a 20ga. It was proofed in 1930. It has the same mechanisms as your for the ejectors and safety. I have shot the gun A LOT at clays and quail and it has given me no trouble over the years.

I hope you enjoy you're new gun as much.----Matt

----MattH
President, Ga. Vintagers
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Matt...This is one tiny svelte double.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.