April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#488199 08/19/17 08:08 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What % wood/metal contact do you shoot for when inletting?
I was taught 80% on all recoil/bearing surfaces.

It's a great deal of work smoking things that tight.
Lot's of scraping, and needle file work.

I don't think many old guns were that precise.
Some of the machining is rough as a cob.
I can't see the plant getting much through-put with hand filed 80% contact.

What does "best" work show on examination?

I'm looking for when to stop, as much as when to go further.

I'm tempted to increase the draft angles on today's beast, just to get the metal smoother. A little filing and Emory paper might hasten the inletting.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How about "as much as possible".

B.Dudley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For personal use, I'd agree.

I just wonder, (after reading the stock for a 410 Nitro thread) where does one stop on entry level doubles? How good is, "Good enough"?

It's the same amount of work fitting a $1,000 blank, as it is a free one.
I'm reminded that the last file stroke defines "best" quality work, and I can see where scratching wisps of walnut away under 10x magnification, is probably outside the realm of the Nitro Special.

I can see it being determined by time allowed, or % contact, or some other measure of pride in workmanship.

Inletting indulges my worst personality traits, and if left un-restrained, could easily lead to disaster. Certainly bankruptcy, if not psychosis.

Out there doing it best I can.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I go for 100% on recoil surfaces and always come damn close. I have prided myself on my inletting from my very first stock. I never use a file on the inletting, just gouges and chisels. If you have a good quality machined blank it is not hard to get great contact on a boxlock. One key is knowing when to bring the trigger plate into the equation. I take the action about 2/3rds into the new blank, then start on the trigger plate. You do not want to get either piece canted but if you catch it early enough you can straighten it out. I built my panto-graph and it is capable of excellent tolerances. To answer your earlier questions, yes some file or stone work and increased draft angles can help. Glass the action after you re-shape it to your old stock to use as a pattern and hire someone who really knows his panto-graph.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting thread.
I was talking to a Browning representative last week about issues with high grade guns and wood having issues with cracking.
If a stock is untouched and cracks Browning will honour guarantee for three years from new , if you alter your stock , bend it to fit , fit an adjustable comb , you then own it , any problem is yours to sort out.
Many cracks and splits are being caused by loose stock bolts , SO if you remove your stock to check wood to metal contact , what % are you looking for and how do you check ?
Smoke lamp , Jewellers rouge , lipstick ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Prussian blue.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a smoke lamp on metal to metal, but inletting into wood I am a bit of a different bird. I chalk the wood inlet possible contact surfaces with purple blackboard chalk, then wipe the metal parts with a very thin coating of light oil. It shows brilliantly on the chalked areas and is not as messy as other methods I've tried. I was shown this by an old gun builder friend, long ago. He was an old tool and die maker, and exceedingly meticulous.

I'm no good at estimation percentage contact, I fear. I just do like Brian, and do the best I can. It's a blessing for those of us who have the luxury to take our sweet time and don't have to depend on our turnaround time to help support a household. I have great admiration for those of you for whom it is a profession.

I try to mark some of my work with a little "signature" eccentricity. I learned to inlet on muzzleloaders and dearly love inletting a sidelock. I like to leave the tiny piece of wood inside the sear spring (v spring). It has no particular function, but it usually gets attention by builders. I also like for my bridle screw heads to make contact on the bottom of the inlet to provide a bit more stability, and keep the edges of the lock plate from "carrying" so much of the bearing load.

You can see both in this Schillinger lock inlet in a "buffalo rifle".

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, that's nice work. I'd break into a sweat just thinking about where to start a job like that. smile

Rust never sleeps !

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.