April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Wild Skies, R. Glenz, KY Jon, 1 invisible), 461 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,093
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: salopian
Stan,
I read your reply with interest, very good advice.
Whilst on the subject have you ever read a good informative article or book on adjusting trigger pulls?
I have an extensive library of gun books , gunmaking, gunsmithing and brands , everyone brushes lightly over setting triggers , with the caution that doing it wrong can be expensive and or dangerous , but not one book advises on doing it correctly????
Comments please.
Salopian (Peter)

Stan, I have much more knowledge on rifle and handgun triggers than shotguns. Some rifle trigger pull weights are in ounces, not pounds. But the thing to grasp is not the mechanism of a particular gun, but the geometry of the parts as they move. The relationship between a hammer and a sear are not complex but they do not allow much variance. The engagement between the sear and hammer always need to be at a positive angle. The greater the positive engagement angle the heavier the pull weight. As the positive angle approaches 0° recoil may override the springs and cause doubling. Anything negative of 0° and the trigger and sear springs are all that maintain engagement(the hammer spring is pushing opposite them), and the slightest bump can cause catastrophe. Remember also the line to take your angles off of are not always where they first appear. They are always a line drawn from the center of the hammer pin/pivot and the sear pin/pivot. Now draw a line perpendicular to the pivot line that intersects the sear hammer contact points. Now adjust slight positive angles to both parts. If you create too much positive engagement the pull weight gets heavier because the hammer/main spring is compressing as the sear climbs out of the engagement. Rule of thumb, try 2°. Remember once the metal is taken off it is harder to put it back.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with all that, John. Most of it echoes my experience, too.

You just said it much, much better than I ever could have.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If anyone here would like a good read on geometry of parts. The Shop Manuals written by the late Jerry Kuhnhausen are outstanding. I don't know if his manual for the Rem 870/1100/11-87 cover triggers but, if you read through his works on the Colt 1911, 1911A1 and Commercial copies it will be a wakeup call to how mechanisms work. And the photos are amazing. Jerry milled hundreds of guns apart to show the inner workings and put the photos to page so we could grasp and understand the working geometry of the parts. Once you grasp the relationship of the parts, it doesn't matter what name is stamped on it.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

John I always appreciate your input

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.