May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (eeb, obsessed-with-doubles, Marks_21, 1 invisible), 740 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,850
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

I read all of the articles by Sherman Bell and his testing of Damascus barrels and while reading his testing I was always thinking, can these results be applied across the board or only to the set of barrels he was testing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What you're asking yourself is 'was the sample size statistically significant and representative?'

Most of us think it was.

Especially since the results were near identical for each sample.

In my view, a specific reason to NOT shoot older barrels either pattern welded or fluid steel was not demonstrated.

It's obviously an individual choice.

Note how many similar guns DID survive the weekend, and many other weekends.

It's only the plane that crashes that makes the news.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
I read all of the articles by Sherman Bell and his testing of Damascus barrels and while reading his testing I was always thinking, can these results be applied across the board or only to the set of barrels he was testing.

Given age different care amount and type of cartridges fired through different guns the test is only valid for that set of barrels. The only antidote is modern proof and since we do not have a proof house every shot from an old gun or any gun is shot into the unknown. One minimizes the risk and keeps on shooting. It just like getting into a car and driving every day or being driven every day.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
It just like getting into a car and driving every day or being driven every day.

Seems to me it's like getting into a car that you know has faulty brakes and driving it every day.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
What you're asking yourself is 'was the sample size statistically significant and representative?'

Most of us think it was.

Especially since the results were near identical for each sample.

In my view, a specific reason to NOT shoot older barrels either pattern welded or fluid steel was not demonstrated.

It's obviously an individual choice.

Note how many similar guns DID survive the weekend, and many other weekends.

It's only the plane that crashes that makes the news.

I agree. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bladeswitcher
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
It just like getting into a car and driving every day or being driven every day.

Seems to me it's like getting into a car that you know has faulty brakes and driving it every day.

So, draw the parallel for me. Are (aren't) you saying that just because it is a damascus barreled gun it is faulty?

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 09/29/17 07:59 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, tell that to the Brits who profess to know everything about shotguns and are running barrels of all kinds made 100+ years ago through their proof houses even today.

Last edited by Shotgunjones; 09/29/17 08:49 PM. Reason: tone down

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK.

We all know when enjoying old guns:

No shooting high pressure modern 2 3/4" shells in old 2 1/2" guns with sharp forcing cones.

Should you want to shoot modern CPI M shells, get the gun proofed, or visit our friends at RST.

We also know that when we buy a gun, we do not know what repairs have been done.

We also know that when we borrow a gun, that we assume if the gun is safe for the owner to shoot, it is safe for us.

Sadly, in this case, all the fail safes, failed.

It was an old gun, not freshly proved, shooting modern high pressure loads in a short chambered gun (Damascus barrels are really not a factor) .

The gun may have been repaired to reattach the part of the rib with the 3rd fastner. The hole for the attaching screw may have gone too deep and reduced the chamber MWT so small as to create a failure point.

FINE

No one was hurt, the gun is a total loss. This discussion is not about the weakness of Damascus, it is about everyone looking out for each other.

At any point, someone could have said, I'll just shoot low pressure RSTs, or this is a black powder gun, or it's 2 1/2" chambered, or whatever.

It is upon every shooter of vintage guns to look out for each other.

I like my eye sight and fingers. I'll look out for yours as well as I'd like you to look out for mine.

That is about the strongest reply I have ever made. I saw the gun. I know the participants. No one was hurt. Let this be a lesson learned.

Can we agree?

Heck I just bought a Damascus gun, and a flat of RST 9s to shoot through it.

Joe Norcom
President of the Carolina Vintagers (52 strong)

Sidelock
Sidelock

shoot all the Damascus guns you want....just let me know when you are doing it so I can leave the range.....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love my EM Reilly 1898 Damascus barreled hammer gun . I will shot low pressure 2 1/2 RST shells down its beautiful 30" barrels. I will destroy clays and feel good about it. As we used to say in Vietnam...s*** happens. Just don't be stupid.

Last edited by Argo44; 09/29/17 09:19 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.