March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (canvasback, Argo44, Hammergun, fallschirmjaeger, 2 invisible), 796 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks very similar to the last photos of a damascus blow-out that i saw.
That looks quite spectacular. And not in a good way. It is good to hear that the shooter was not harmed.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

A lot of speculation. Anyone remember the overloads (30K psi +) that Sherman Bell fed a Damascus Parker before it blew? Unless there was a serious issue with the structural integrity of that gun before the accident, I have trouble believing that it could be attributed to only the load.

Old Joe Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Toby and 16SXS to confirm this. Again from 3 rd. hand report a 12 ga. and a compresson form commercial load. the whole side of chamber blew out from the breach to frontof hinge pin. Several known people there and the shooter tho not hurt badly was stunned for a period. No posts so far on the parker site? We never here much of damascus failurse and it always seem blamed ion barrel obstructions before experts evaluete.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have heard multiple reports of obstruction blow ups being related to the new Winchester AA hulls. The thought has been the baseplate detached from the hull and lodged in the bore. Next shell goes off and the blow up occurs. For that slight risk I have not loaded any of the current AAs. That and the fact I have two fifty five gallon drums of the old ones. Just wish they were 16 ga compression formed hulls.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The AA base wad issue was real. It's been fixed in current production shells. We learned that loaders that do not use a primer seating ram from the inside of the shell such as MEC does could move the base wad while seating the primer. A very bad thing. I've loaded many thousands of two piece AA hulls including the initial run on MEC equipment with no issues. This possibility of a moving base wad exists with any shell that incorporates one. It's one reason I refuse to use hydraulic powered loaders. I want that feedback from the press to my human 'force monitor'.

The general rule is that a chamber blowout is caused by excessive load, and that a burst barrel further up is caused by obstruction. The obstruction leaves a 'ring' of some sort.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Small images on a thread inadequately illustrate what is usually very apparent on direct inspection, but

Chamber blow out without a ring bulge. Note no rib lifting

Another chamber blow out without a ring bulge; very localized rib lifting

Chamber blow out WITH a ring bulge, and rib lifting

I only play a metallurgist on DoubleGun wink but:

SEM of the fracture edges in an obstructional burst show elastic deformation with ultimate cleavage.
Over-pressure burst show little elastic deformation with predominate cleavage.

"The general rule is that a chamber blowout is caused by excessive load, and that a burst barrel further up is caused by obstruction. The obstruction leaves a 'ring' of some sort."

That was Sir Gerald's position. Today however ANY burst, ANYWHERE is likely from "inexpert" chamber or barrel work frown

Sidelock
Sidelock

Images of the OPs referenced blow up will be posted shortly

The shells were factory Remington STS Sporting reported to be 1275 fps, but that fps not listed here. Possibly the 1 oz. Nitro at 1290 fps?
https://images.remington-catalog.com/5689a23e991d5

Sidelock
Sidelock

THIS is the gun. Did the best I could to enhance the images.

I would of course defer to someone with barrel in hand, but do not definitely see a ring bulge. The top rib extension is gone but possibly just from the burst. The destruction of the FE and broken stock suggest MUCH more recoil than one would expect from a properly loaded factory round ie. almost something like this Citori

A formal Metallurgical Failure Analysis would be most interesting

Sidelock
Sidelock

What is the section of threaded screw hole between the barrels under the missing top short rib? Did someone attempt to repair a loose rib with a screw instead of soldering? As I recall both barrels that blew up at 29,000 to 30,000 psi in Sherman Bell's Parker test gun ruptured where the barrels had thin spots from extractor or extractor retaining screw holes.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Was he able to finish the round with the left barrel?

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.