March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
12 members (eeb, earlyriser, Hammergun, ChiefAmungum, 2 invisible), 376 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

PM sent at 20:13

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This nifty gauge is a finicky thing to use. . .

Not unexpected, but I didn't get any measurements yet I am confident in.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Utah Shotgunner
This nifty gauge is a finicky thing to use. . .

Not unexpected, but I didn't get any measurements yet I am confident in.

Nearly all precision instruments used in the machinist trade take time to get a "feel" for the tool. Accurate cutting only happens after repeatable, accurate measuring. That is what sets apart a stellar artisan from the group.

Understand all the forces acting on the instrument and use a technique or opposite force to negate it (note Ken61's spring).
Gravity is the biggest culprit. If using the tool in a horizontal orientation, the tool needs calibrated in that position. Then don't rotate the tool or the calibration will likely change as the direction of force changed. This is why I feel it is best to use this type instrument in the vertical position.
Also, temperature will move metal, especial long slender shapes like these rods. If you grab the tool from one location(car, shop, ect...) and take it to another, it needs to stabilize at the new location before calibrating and taking measurements. Once you are calibrated, a warm hand on one spot on the instrument may again shift the readings. Gloves may be a help?(check Drew's isolation hook on the block).

Play with the new toy on known thicknesses(shim stock/feeler gauges) until you get repeatable readings. Once you have a "feel" for the instrument, measure some tubes.

John

Last edited by John E; 09/25/17 10:34 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John,

Agree w/ all you said. That is why I said "Not unexpected."

Been working with if for a few hours now (over two days) and have started updating the the listings in the WTS forum.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, we have had wall thickness gauge discussions before. I hope you look at Drew's set up. The secret of using the horizontal tool is that it uses gravity [a constant] , and uses a string or similar to hold the out of barrel end to push the gauge in and out. This eliminates any torque you might put on the gauge if you just grab it with your hand to push it in and out. I was skeptical of the horizontal gauge, but used in Drew's way, it is 100% accurate. I have a vertical gauge, but even with the barrels suspended from a vertical spring, I cannot get readings as accurate as the horizontal gauge gives on "double barrels" My vertical gauge now sits on the floor of the furnace room.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl,

Good to see you still visiting this site.
If you have been reading along, there are a couple of Baker barrel sets. wink

Ah heck, Daryl.
You made me revisit my very limited practice w/ this instrument. Tried Drew's version early on, but didn't have luck with it. Your gravity commment made the light bulb go on over my head.

Now I have to re-measure the barrels as I got more consistent and thicker walls on the the two sets I have re-checked.

Last edited by Utah Shotgunner; 09/25/17 06:41 PM.

Mike
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.