April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (bsteele, Jimmy W, Lloyd3, SKB, 1 invisible), 827 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher

Researcher, a lot of people on this forum with much more knowledge than me so I'm always trying to learn. I take it from your last statement (by the way, best spelling of arrrrggggghhhhh that I've seen in a long time)that this is an example of what the OP was talking about? I look at this gun and think what they did to polish some of the components is unfortunate. Can't see if any of the screws are buggered. I'm sure there are other things that I'm missing? Based on what they are showing/telling I could see where some would look at it and say it was a sweet looking gun. Would you (or others) please enlighten me?

Thanks
Kirk

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is not a sweet looking gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless I'm mistaken (and please correct me if I am), what Researcher is "arrrggggghhhhh'ing" at are the changes to the gun from the way it came from the factory, the nickel/chrome whatever that is, the gold triggers, the recoil pad and the 2 tone forend release.

Some folks, including certain members of my family would look at that gun and feel it was fancied up in an acceptable manner.

If any of those members of my family had bought that and handed me their new pride and joy to show it off, I would dutifully throw it to my shoulder and smile and hand it back, sans comments.

Inside however I would probably be crying....

Mergus

Duckboats, decoys and double barrels...
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The stock is a disaster.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's all a disaster. Kirkp, you need to start looking at guns that are in their original condition. "Bright and shiney" is not a good thing. Original rust blueing has a soft luster. Case colors,even when worn are not shiney. Stocks were finished with oil and where satin or eggshell. It's all supposed to be understated and classy. That poor Philadelphia Arms gun looks like a Cadillac with a vinyl roof, too much chrome and whitewall tires.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No relation to any gun in this thread.
Here's a quote from someone we all know and love.
Made without the presence of sugar coating or kid gloves.

"The gun was restocked by an idiot, the barrel markings were destroyed by an idiot, the rib was installed by Simmons at the request of an idiot.
That gun has the value of a gun that has the same shooter utility, 870 Express, $175.00 in high condition.
Everything above $175.00 is collector value, and this gun has none".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: kirkp
Originally Posted By: Researcher

Would you (or others) please enlighten me?

Thanks
Kirk

Kirk: An old Navy term would describe it . . . "Screwed, blued and tattooed!"

Jolly

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kirk it looks good if you are into hammer guns, But this gun was said to be not worth spending any cash on because it was too far gone in every way in the 1960s. Though as a young man I thought it was too good to become a wall hanger the barrels though dented and covered with rust where still well within our Brit proof limits.

This was the guns stock the picture is not all that good. You can see that there was no chequering left though you can not see the crack through the wrist and also around the lock bar's position so in all honesty it could not be re used. The piece of odd looking timber was fitted so it could be fitted in the duplicator. Its final finish was tradition oil finish with applied wax over the years to give that gentle lustre.
The one good thing was the action and lock plates had been polished so it would look good on a wall, but not over polished.

From the photographs you can see the pins (screws) are as been said "Bugged" but seeing they still do their allotted job and have been part of the gun for a hundred and fifty years my decision was not to replace them.

The pin you see in the trigger plate is a replacement only because the original was missing.
The barrels went through a lot of repair work and seeing that they where very rusty initially they have been re browned.
Also the trigger guard, hammers, and thumb leaver, where all coated in a thick layer of rust so the decision was taken to blue them rather than leave in the state they where after their de rusting.
Hopefully the restoration did not remove too much of the guns age though what it did do was give it another lease of useful life.
This restoration may not please all but it at the time suited what I thought was the minimum to bring the gun to a shootable condition. Also it was all the money I could afford, and I do feel that the restoration has stood up aesthetically well through the changes of taste over the years.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

If done properly, correctly, and well, I have no problem with an older American SxS shotgun restored to "as new" condition. There are a few gunsmiths that do this quite well. Unfortunately, there are also other gunsmiths that don't restore "correctly, properly, or well."

In my opinion, the best candidates for full restoration are "name brand" older American SxS shotguns that have had a previous hard life and have significant existing faults or blemishes. Properly bringing them back to their original beauty is a good deed.

gold40

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm surprised and disappointed to hear so many guys say they simply walk away from a poorly restored and vastly over-priced gun. In my opinion, all that does is encourage those who perform such desecrations. I like to tell them, in no uncertain terms, why I think their gun is crap. And if their pricing is 90% Blue Book on a 10% gun, I pointedly remind them that Blue Book prices are typically full blown retail, and their tarted up amateur restoration hasn't seen 90% condition since Woodrow Wilson was President. Why encourage ignorance? Venting your disgust over such atrocities here, long after the fact, accomplishes nothing. Better to direct your energy in the proper direction... and the smile you will wear afterward will lower your blood pressure.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.