April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (montenegrin, Der Ami, jake van dyke, Lloyd3), 1,029 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,434
Posts544,720
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert Churchill would say 25" barrels are what you need and he would sell you some. I like longer barrels. A friend shoots nothing but 34" barrels but he could shoot anything well. It's about balance and personal preference IMO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

eeb, I was just about to bring up Churchill. Thanks! He played mind games with perception, short barrels, and the Churchill rib.

Stan, an outdoor writer named L.P. Brezny used to live in the Twin Cities. There were places where it was legal to hunt waterfowl fairly close to "civilization", but Brezny often had to deal with guys in uniform checking to see what all the shooting was about so early in the morning. So he developed something called the "Metro Barrel" (eventually Hastings made them) that was REALLY long and screwed onto a regular shotgun barrel. Then Federal developed some sub-sonic steel loads to go with it. The darned thing sounded about like a .22.

Anyhow, Federal hosted a bunch of outdoor writers, and we got to try it out. The Metro Barrel, surprisingly, did not add a lot of weight. Straightaways were OK, but swinging the thing really felt odd. But as long as that barrel was, perceived lead on a crosser would have been reduced to about nothing, assuming that theory is correct . . . although there is the issue of the greatly reduced velocity of those sub-sonic loads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

good thread...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

+1

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
But, my question is why. Why do 32" barrels make the perceived lead look less that that of a shorter barrel(s)? I'm looking for an answer that is based on the physics ............. plain and simple (numbers, if necessary grin).

Anybody here understand the mechanics of it well enough to explain it to me?

Thanks, SRH

There is no physics or geometry that will explain that unless you are a one-eyed shooter and shoot the gun like a rifle. Two-eyed shooters do not to my knowledge see the gun and set leads. For them the concept of "sighting plane" does not exist.
It all looks the same to me whether I shoot 27", 28", 30", 32". or 34" barrels. I just shoot the target. For fast target games like OT setting a lead is just not within the time realm of a human and I doubt that anyone does that.
YMMV

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 09/23/17 11:22 AM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Stan. The tracks are the same distance apart.

Avoiding the bird-target-bead relationship debate, the perceived lead does change with a longer barrel ie. that thingie on the end of the barrel that we are NOT looking at is farther from our eye

Sidelock
Sidelock

The above pic also demonstrates why the top of the rib appears more "U" shaped as the barrel length increases.

It's all because the eye itself is round. It the eye were rectangular then there would be no perceived difference at all.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd like to hunt rabbits along the brushy sides of that railroad right of way!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry Stan, but as a victim of a K through post-grad education in the great State of Missouri I learn best with pictures wink

Here's the physics
https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/202251/why-railroad-tracks-seem-to-converge

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That pic is an excellent analogy that demonstrates what I meant, Drew. Thanks. And that also is the written explanation I was seeking.

Charles, I am a two-eyed shooter and I most definitely see the gun when I shoot at anything moving/flying. I also see lead, every time. I do not think of it in terms of feet, or inches, but my brain has stored up thousands of mental pictures of that gap that exists between the bead, which is in my subconscious vision, and the bird I just killed. It remembers those distances, or gaps, and when it sees the same presentation again it tells the muscles where to put the bead in relation to the bird. To make a couple of points clear, I never look at the muzzle or bead, and the bead is not essential for good shooting, but in absence of a bead there needs to be something at the muzzle for reference, if only a rib.

I do believe the brain learns to use the apparent width of the muzzle as a reference to lead, especially when, for some reason or another, it is harder to determine distance to a bird by triangulation, which is how I understand that the brain determines distance. That is why it is so hard for a one-eyed shooter to dominate sporting clays or FITASC, distances vary so greatly, which in turn so greatly affects lead.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.