April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hoot4570, SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 412 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,803
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks like a gun designed to compete with something like Merkel 47e. The price isn't unreasonable for something made in USA. For those that want something new and can't afford this there are nice options from Turkey in $1500 to $2000 or little more, but you ain't going to "Make America Great Again" choosing that route. Sadly not many will be sold and it will soon go away.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

All you guys wishing for Parker re-pros missed your chance. I remember when they were clearing them out at a very nice price. About a third of what they sell for now and it took longer than it should to sell them all. People always want what use to be made but the fail to buy it in high enough number to keep it in production too often. Plus it always comes down to cost. Buyers seem to live about 30 years in the past in what they think a reasonable price for something should be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe half what they sell for now Jon . . . if you're talking 12 or 20. But at $1995, they were definitely a good deal. I'm sure a lot of people wish they'd bought one or two.

The Repros sold very well, given the pre-closeout price. Likely would have remained in production if the Olin-Kodensha deal hadn't ended.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I owned several Parker Repros. 5 Steel Shot Specials, a 20 ga. BHE that was bought strictly as a quick-turnaround profit piece, and one 28 ga. One of the SSS's I wish I had kept had spectacular black-streaked French Walnut and an extra set of 30" barrels, which are are VERY rare (not sure, but they may have been the only set made...).

But they all went down the road. I just never could get over the fact they were a Japanese copy. Nice guns, though.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

JR, funny you mentioned them being a Japanese copy. I bought a Japanese copy 42 High Grade limited edition built for Winchester in 1993 because I wanted a 42 pump and did not ant to either end up dumping money into a worn out original or putting wear on a nice collector grade gun. I looked at the later Browning Graded guns with the gold inlay and had no interest in them.

Then I came across the Winchester repro 42 with one of the better exhibition stocks I've seen on them. The engraving is decent but machine like in looks. As a hunting gun it functions flawlessly. Seven limits so far this year. Maybe two more this weekend. This misses are mine not the guns. Even as a full choke .410 I feel no real handicap with decent range limitation. It is not a 40 yard gun for pass shooting but under 30 yards it cleanly kills any Dove I shoot at with excellent results. So you pass on a Japanese reproduction while I embraced one.

Last edited by KY Jon; 09/22/17 11:10 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess authenticity plays a larger role in my shotguns than in yours, Jon. I suppose you could say I embraced and then pulled away.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
All you guys wishing for Parker re-pros missed your chance. I remember when they were clearing them out at a very nice price. About a third of what they sell for now and it took longer than it should to sell them all. People always want what use to be made but the fail to buy it in high enough number to keep it in production too often. Plus it always comes down to cost. Buyers seem to live about 30 years in the past in what they think a reasonable price for something should be.

I remember in early to mid 90s 20ga 26" SST being sold at closeout through adds in Gun List? or Shotgun News? for about $1500. Had to work to help pay for school so I didn't have disposable income to buy one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon:

I'm with you. When I wanted a Model 12 in 28 gauge, I called Dave Riffle. When I told him what I intended to do with it, he told me to save my money and buy the Browning copy in Grade I, which was going for about 1/5 of an original at the time. I did and I have enjoyed it for years. Not a collector's piece, but a fully functional gun that does just what I want it to do.

Rem

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keeping with the 28ga pump theme, I considered the Browning model 12 copy but chose the BPS Ithaca copy. I think it is a better gun...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Originally Posted By: KY Jon

I remember in early to mid 90s 20ga 26" SST being sold at closeout through adds in Gun List? or Shotgun News? for about $1500. Had to work to help pay for school so I didn't have disposable income to buy one.

I don't believe the general closeout price ever dropped below $1995. Several dealers selling them at that price. I recall Guns Unlimited, Cape Outfitters, and I think Jaqua's . . . if my memory isn't playing tricks on me. I think there was one more.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.